All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Sailing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hellow all,
I have been an avid fisherman from my Revo for many years and
just picked up a sailing kit today. Gave it a brief tryout this morning
and see that there is alot to be done.
Could anyone tell me where to pick up the pullys and cleats I'm going to need.
I live in San Diego.

Thanks for the help,
Rich

Post subject: Re: New to Sailing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Beardedguy,

I just started sailing my Revo 13 a few weeks ago and it has been a blast!
I got my blocks (pulleys) at West Marine but I know there are many other marine suppliers out there.
Check out Scrumpy's post on some ways to make the blocks removable. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46847
I did something similar with my YakAttack GearTracs and some Starboard marine lumber scraps that I get from the local marine surplus store.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Bearded Guy,
I picked up my blocks at the same place that sold me my kayak. I think any Hobie dealer or sailboat shop should have them as they are a fairly common item. As Wndrfl stated West Marine is also a good source. They are also for sale on page 29 of the new Hobie Kayak catalog and are listed as micro blocks from Harken. The two I used were both the ones listed as H225. H224 will also work fine. H233 is good if you want to permanetly mount the block to your hull. I also used a stainless steel carabiner to clip the block to the rear padeye and the other one to either an available shockcord end screw or you may want add a new padeye. Personally, I don't want to use a cam cleat when sailing because I want to be able to quickly let go of the sheet in a gust. However, those are also available on page 31 of the Hobie catalog or at the sources mentioned earlier in this note.
If you're like most of us you're going to love sailing your kayak. It rare that I go out without having the sail available for use as I want. Happy sailing! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been regularly sailing various Hobie mirage kayaks for years now.

The loads on the components required for sailing these boats are so tiny and the materials so strong that there really is no point in oversizing any component or over-engineering anything you don't have to IMO. As a result you really don't need to do anything fancy schmancy to attach your blocks to the kayak - just tie them on with just a bit of light line: cheap as chips and totally removeable & replaceable.

As to the choice of cleat for the mainsheet, cam cleats are fine but they are pretty big and have moving parts. My personal preference is for a "cLamcleat" note the spelling & search the web for them) of the appropriate size with or without a shim and/or one of the various 'keepers' that are designed to work with them. (The style I use looks like CL203/CL211 and there are various options in terms of beckets, fairleads, keepers shims, etc - several configurations would work well but in my selection I have always been mindful of the need to be able to dump the sheet in a hurry). I would install my clamcleat under the bungee net of the RHS tray in a direct line with the lead of the sheet; this way you can have the cleat exposed for use or covered by pulling the net up or down over it... Works great.

Just one tip - if it ain't tied on you will lose it on your first capsize :D

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is a link to my rigging solutions for my Revo posted on this forum. I've been very happy with this set up for almost 6 years now.
viewtopic.php?t=7065&highlight=improved+rigging