Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nylon balls
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Note to Matt Miller it would be nice if Hobie would sell the nylon balls separately as a repair item. That way if a couple were lost they could be replaced without ordering a whole new assembly.

Agreed! We should have them available. Maybe we already do. I will have to check with the engineers Monday on the correct part number.

Same bearing we use on our Hobie Bravo mast system.

The number is 90610111 3/8 Delrin Ball Bearing

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Boogie's issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Boogie! I would love to be in Hawaii now...the weather here in Michigan is starting to get nasty (and not enough snow to ski in to off set the nastiness).
I've only had my AI since September of this year and I haven't had any problems with it yet (though I've only had her out a couple times). You appear to have had some "issues" with your boat - about how many hours of operation did you work the AI through before you had problems? What kind of problems have you had? And what did you do to correct the problems? How long have you owned your AI?
Mahalo!

Post subject: Re: Mast Collar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakaholic, you rock my friend! Keep up the good work on this forum. I too have encountered the "bearings falling out of the race" problem. What I am curious about is that the problem didn't show up until I had at least a dozen outings on the boat. Or perhaps I just didn't notice the issue until then. Anyway, I will implement the fix your described in such detail. The pics are super helpful.

I'm also going to attempt to fix the "slappy ama" problem of loose bungees. It looks like it is going to be very difficult to get the bungee knot tied is precisely the right spot to create the optimum tension. Any tips on this one?

Thanks again,
Matt Hanson

P.S. - I think the TI is the most innovatively engineered and fun piece of sporting equipment I've ever encountered. My wife and I I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I actually built a 4'x8' deck on the roof of our camper van on which to carry the 192 pound beast. Pics later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Philip1el wrote:
So wary am I of posting yet more problems to the forum that i contacted Hobbie direct for advice but no reply!

The rudder pin issues are sorted, the lock down problem botched with a G clamp, now its the nylon ball bearings in the mast foot collar. Whenever I lift the boat to one side they all fall out!

I actually went sailing with one of them lying in the base of the well and did some considerable damage to the entire foot assembly by stepping the mast directly on top of it. Not a difficult mistake to make, one hardly expects to have to check the bearings before you launch. I have tried tightening the collar to keep them in place but darent put to much compression on it. The balls still fall out.

I have to say, unlike most of the satisfied customers on this forum, to date I am really not happy with the build quality of this craft and if I had been aware of the problems I would have encountered would have thought twice about purchasing it, but then maybe i bought a 'friday night' boat.

Anyone else encounter this problem and if so any advice on a quick fix? As I have done NOTHING to cause this problem its an item I can claim under my warranty but getting it here is going to take some time.

Philip

Philip Hi,
see my quote viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33198&start=0
Six years later and the same problem is still with us
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron, sorry for your problem. It's not really a common one, but I can understand why it's frustrating.

In your position, if tensioning failed, I would try packing the balls with thick lithium grease to help keep them in place and ask my Hobie dealer to replace the 2 bearing plates and balls. Must be something wrong with them. It's not a real expense part.

The tips about disassembling and fine-sanding the race track sound promising, if you are the DIY'er type.

Is this an AI or TI?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Admin

This appears to be and issue dredged up from posts back in 2007... a long time ago.

The bearing loss can happen due to loose screws, bent plate or damage to the plastic that holds the bearings in place. There is a pretty tight tolerance required to allow the bearings to roll easily, but still be retained in the plates.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
Ron, sorry for your problem. It's not really a common one, but I can understand why it's frustrating.

In your position, if tensioning failed, I would try packing the balls with thick lithium grease to help keep them in place and ask my Hobie dealer to replace the 2 bearing plates and balls. Must be something wrong with them. It's not a real expense part.

The tips about disassembling and fine-sanding the race track sound promising, if you are the DIY'er type.

Is this an AI or TI?

Hi Nohuhu, It's a TI and my dealer emailed me to say a complete crossbeam was on it's way Matt suggested I simply transfer the ball-race from the new crossbeam to the one on the boat which is great as I don't like the idea of a complete swap over of c/beam. I said to Matt earlier be interesting to see what the mail man brings!
Hey, swap some of your weather and temp for mine here in the English Channel it's cold wet n windy at the moment. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

RSMoonlight wrote:
Hey, swap some of your weather and temp for mine here in the English Channel it's cold wet n windy at the moment. :lol:

Clear and 25c at the factory today! :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
RSMoonlight wrote:
I'm can't brag, it's just another cr@ppy day in Paradise here. :wink:

Ron, no compelling reason to change the whole bar out, unless the ring is bent or you have the earlier TI model with the inferior welds. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33638

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NoHuhu, you forgot a weather link! :) http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/oahu.php

TODAY
Mostly sunny with isolated showers. Highs 76 to 84. East winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

The weathermen here in Hawaii have at least a dozen different ways of saying sunny and warm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I save those for the dead of winter, Bob. :twisted:

Nice sailing weather though. I hope to play hooky on a Nacra 17 tomorrow. Up, up and awaaaay!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
mmiller wrote:
RSMoonlight wrote:
I'm can't brag, it's just another cr@ppy day in Paradise here. :wink:

Ron, no compelling reason to change the whole bar out, unless the ring is bent or you have the earlier TI model with the inferior welds. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33638

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

Hi Nohuhu,
I got my TI March last year so I suppose (hope) it has the updated welding. Still if it does go BANG! I shall have a new spare crossbeam (as I only need to fit the race and bearings according to Matt).
Weather here at moment; sea mist just came rolling in. It rolls in very quick and can catch you unawares common this time of year (spring) when warm air coming up from south Atlantic hits cold sea surface causing mist/fog to form very quickly. You can see these huge banks of fog at sea level appear in the distance and within 10/15 minutes it's over you there is also a sudden sharp drop in air temp as the cloud rolls over you (the opposite thing happens in the fall with cold air over warm sea).
However it does mean summer is round the corner :P You guys might find this link to our Coastguard of interest. It's updated daily and covers all sea and coastal emergencies/incidents in waters around and off the UK. http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-home/n ... leases.htm

Last edited by RSMoonlight on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks RSM. Here's a typical, mellow day on our side of the pond. :-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puNhvXutVjQ&sns=em[/youtube]

Good luck with the repairs. Keep an watchful eye out for those weld cracks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:

Hi Nou.
Still waiting for summer to arrive dark grey sky and drizzle at moment (just like you see in those old WW2 convoy movies).
The one that got away, I presume letting the line go slack allowed the fish to loose the hook, and get yourself some gloves that line can cut real deep.

Got a race with the my local yacht club this weekend. As a temporary measure (till bearings arrive) I shall pack out the mast to bearing gap with a length of plastic rain water downpipe, it should work. Shall slap plenty of white silicon grease and PTFE and try it out in boatyard to see if it works okay before going out. :roll:
Well today is the 29th April I didn't race as my mod didn't work. I had to remove the drainpipe sleeve off the mast as it was still too thick at 8th of an inch, to fit down the mast well. So I am still waiting for the replacement bits from Hobie (been waiting a month now! :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RSMoonlight wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

Hi Nou.
Still waiting for summer to arrive dark grey sky and drizzle at moment (just like you see in those old WW2 convoy movies).
The one that got away, I presume letting the line go slack allowed the fish to loose the hook, and get yourself some gloves that line can cut real deep.

Got a race with the my local yacht club this weekend. As a temporary measure (till bearings arrive) I shall pack out the mast to bearing gap with a length of plastic rain water downpipe, it should work. Shall slap plenty of white silicon grease and PTFE and try it out in boatyard to see if it works okay before going out. :roll:
Well today is the 29th April I didn't race as my mod didn't work. I had to remove the drainpipe sleeve off the mast as it was still too thick at 8th of an inch, to fit down the mast well. So I am still waiting for the replacement bits from Hobie (been waiting a month now! :(

Hi Nohuhu,
Parts arrived at last nearly two months wait, not Hobies fault as the EU importer miss-laid the part. Matt was about to send me a mast bearings/collar direct when the original order arrived. So fitted the parts and was out on the water yesterday (for only the second time this year!) felt good. I might have a go at that there fishing game however I don't think we have anything as large as you have in your area. Main staple here is cod, sea bass, pollock.
I still got to design and fit an engine mount, thinking along the lines of using both the rod holder pockets and the trolley holes to spread the load over a greater area, we'll see.
All the best and happy sailing, see you further down the ships log :lol:
Ron