Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My dream boat
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello my new family,

I finally bit the bullet and bought my dream boat...a Hobie Adventure.

I sank my last kayak and was considering an early retirement from kayak fishing, instead I dumped my savings into another yak!

Now the best part...staring at the boat for hours while trying to figure out how I want to rig it.

HookDem!

Post subject: Re: My dream boat
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

congrats!
What are you going to be primarily fishing for? or is this going to be just a cruiser for you?
Also curious, what was your last kayak? I don't know anyone who has sunk their Hobie, these are pretty well designed kayaks.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, yea it's my bay/offshore boat so it'll be rigged for fishing. For the most part pretty seasonal as to what I'm targeting. In the summer when the gulf is a little more predictable it's usually surf/near shore oil rigs for mackerel and snapper. The rest of the year I spend most of my time in the bays, either getting to spots to wade or marking structure in channels to jig up flounder. I'm excited to be able to peddle around structure while jigging vs trying to paddle/anchor/jig/reposition and try again.

My last kayak was a Hurricane Phoenix 160, which I have to say was a great bay boat. Fast, acted like a kayak and got me to fishy places. The sinking of said kayak was a combination of unfortunate events. I attempted to get through tough sets of surf which was the first correctable mistake. I took a wave straight on which shot the bow up, staked the stern into the sand dune behind me and pounded with some major whoop. Immediately assessing the damage, it appeared the only issue was two broken padeyes where the seat attached to the yak. The force of the wave pushed me back and was too much for the nylon pad eyes. No problem, easy fix I thought. Which was the second correctable mistake, I should've taken a better look. As I was fishing a kayak tourney I was determined to "rig" the seat and get back out. No dice, made two attempts and each time I went over a wave i would roll right out of the starboard side (ghetto rigged side) and end up in the drink. Packed up and went home without even dropping a line. One month later took the yak to the bay and was towing it behind my friends boat, it started riding really low and finally submarined below the surface! Apparently, I had cracked the hull and not noticed. The cracked hull quickly took on water while in tow and filled the yak with hundreds of pounds of pressure which blew the cracks wide open leaving two huge irregular cracks. So, trylon is a super material that makes very light hulls that are nice and rigid like kevlar/glass boats but unfortunately at the cost of being brittle and more likely to crack under stress. So that's how you sink a kayak.

Live and learn. I don't plan to sink this one

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh wow! I think my local kayak shop had started pushing Hurricane kayaks for the non-fishing crowd since they are lighter-than-average kayaks, but I never imagined they would be so brittle :? (permanently crossing that off my wishlist now)

Good luck in the rigging and fishing!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got an adventure as well. Went with 4" yak attack gt175 tracks on the gunnels, Scotty gear head track adapter,extension and power lock on starboard, screwball, ram ff mount and ff on port side. Go pro on an xshot attached to a wedge mount up front