Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Batten Ties Too Short?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm new to sailing & my H18 and haven't been tensioning my battens. I've decided to start doing this and got the batten gauges to guide me. As I was installing them I noticed the PO had sheaved the ties wrong and they weren't long enough to be done correctly in all locations. I assumed they had been cut and ordered new ones, all to the 18" listed in the parts catalog. To my surprise they weren't long enough in places either. Is this normal, or should I be pulling & measuring my battens to ensure I have the right ones? I know I can just get longer ties. But I want to be sure this isn't an indicator of having the wrong battens.

Thanks,
Rowdy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can either get/make longer batten ties or shorten your battens, your choice. Works either way. Doesn't mean you have the wrong battens.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How far does the batten stick out of the back of the batten pocket when the batten is tensioned? There should only be about one inch (two inches max) between the edge of the sail and the edge of the batten cap. If you have a lot of extra batten sticking out of the sail, then trim the batten. Once again, this should be when the batten is tensioned (there will be more sticking out when you release the batten).

Also, how are you threading the batten tie? Anymore than 3:1 purchase is unnecessary.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, guys.

jim-doty, Good point. I didn't think that I might have the right battens, but not trimmed correctly. I guess I'm glad they're not all short.

srm, Once tentioned for light air according to the gauge recommendations I'm probably around 2 inches on some maybe a bit more. I'm using a 5:1 as shown in the parts catalog above the leach & luff batten caps as well as in the H18 assembly manual http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H18%26SX_Manual.pdf, page 12. I think it's labeled 4:1 in the catalog, but it shows 5:1 if you count the passes. Maybe it also depends on if your other hand is against the batten or the sail. (Last pass wouldn't give you any advantage if your other hand was on the sail, but does if it's on the batten.) Even with this, it is fairly difficult to get some tentioned that much. Maybe if a gave up one pass I'd have more line to grip and I'd be better off than with the advantage. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Thanks,
Rowdy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can see you having 4 to one if you start at the batten, or 3 to one if you start at the sail... not sure how you're getting 5:1.

3:1 is plenty, sail through cap, through other side of the sail and then cleat.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They're long enough to get all the purchase, plus a safety stopper knot ( see thread in 16 forum), but you can't waste any with long loops or tails left over. Start with an absolute minimum bowline on one side to the sail.