Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: maiden voyage PA 12
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking forward to trying the PA12 for the first time. Being as I am an old guy(82) is it a given that fishing from a kayak means wet feet. I was wondering what kind of footwear is most desirable. I plan on launching from the boat ramp and entering the kak from the dock. I live in Colo Spgs Co and will be fishing mostly at Pueblo Res.
Can't go yet as it is raining here for the next couple days.

Post subject: Re: maiden voyage PA 12
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I prefer bare feet when I'm using my kayak, but with rough bottoms, hot concrete, etc. can be hazardous. Sandals or flip flops would protect the feet as would a pair of Crocs - I have all three - and I usually remove them once aboard to get my feet dry as well as the footwear. I would definitely avoid any kind of footwear that stays wet - like sneakers - and NO SOCKS! Welcome to kayaking, it's great to see someone with so much "experience" getting into it as it's so much more fun than a rocking chair. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are also the Columbia Drainmakers
They come in all kinds of colors and a few styles...
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSVVdm ... ata_player [/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll add some contrary advice. I wear white socks and either water shoes or Crocs in my Prangler 14. I got the tops of my feet sunburned once and will NOT relive that painful experience. I also wear long pants, long sleeves, a hat, a Buff and even sun gloves at times. No skin cancer gonna happen here.

I also launch from ramps, and manage to get in and out while getting only one foot wet. It dries while I fish, and I keep a dry pair of socks and shoes in the truck for afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wear a pair of Keen water shoes...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whatever you're comfortable in certainly. I don't like long pants while in the 'yak or when fishing in general (or socks) but do wear long sleeve shirts - like Columbia Bone Head or Cabela's Guide Wear - that breathe and dry fast and have an SPF rating. Sunny days I add a big floppy hat, polarized glasses (UV protection for the eyes is important too) gator and sun gloves as I don't like sun screen running down my face, arms and hands, but the legs and feet do get covered in SPF 50 sunscreen until they gain a "little color". Several options are available to be protected from the sun and maintain a reasonable level of personal comfort.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wear boots made of wet suit neoprene with a hard rubber sole. Great grip, light, easily dried and no sunburn.
I also wear full length compression skins. They too are thin, not hot to wear and protect from sunburn.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Powbass,

My arms got baked on my first trip out this spring... Even though there was still a real chill to the water, that sun is fierce!! Cover up!!

Long sleeve wicking shirt, shorts with a ton of sunscreen, and sneaks...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In colder weather I wear hip boots to keep dry and warm.. Also were socks in boots when cold. In warmer weather/water conditions I wear crocks and socks. Long pants, long sleeve shirts and hat. Also gloves and the buff... I really liked the sun when I was young and life guarding, but not I am paying for it. So I have learned the hard way.

In really cold weather, say 45 degrees I will wear chest waders to keep really warm.. If it starts raining I have a rain suit from the chest up... Then I have a rain coat to wear over the waders.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last weekend I scored another pair of Vibram 5 Fingers on sale - they're the "minimalist" thin soled shoes with the individual toes. Aside from running they're marketed to stand up paddle-boarders, kayakers and boaters since they're so thin you can still feel the deck but you have grip and you can get them wet. You can swim in them (better feeling than regular swim shoes since they are glove-like) and, best of all, they get dirty they're made to chuck in the washing machine!

Did I mention the ones I got are black with yellow highlights which are SO going to go well with my Papaya PA? Heh, heh, heh :D

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I go back and forth between a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and my Keen water sport sandals. In cooler weather, the sandal with a performance wool sock works well. Feet are wet all day and I'm comfy.