Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 14 - Longer Paddle?
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my PA 14 out for her maiden voyage today... got to say.. I'm in love!!! :D

I do have one issue. Although, I realize I will rarely use the paddle as the main means of locomotion, I really wish I had a longer paddle. I bought a 240cm paddle from my local dealer, and it still feels short. I'm 6'3", so I realize that makes a difference, but with the way I sit off the water, I'm really having to reach down to each side when I stroke. :?

Has anyone else had this issue? Were you able to find a solution? Does anyone else feel like a longer paddle would be helpful?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the paddle is too short. With the chair arms and rails, you probably need a longer paddle. However you need to weigh how much you really paddle..... Mine also is to short but considering I only use the paddle when approaching the launch, I make do with what I have :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

West Marine sells a paddle that breaks down into four sections. I cannibalized that paddle to make extensions for the standard Hobie paddle. Look at the picturss in my signature and you will se the extension. You do have to drill a 3/8 hole to match the hole spacing on the Hobie spring pins. And you may have to sand down the smaller diameter on the hobie paddle. Works great as both an extender for a double ender as well as an extension for a single paddle too with the Hobie handle. I use the single paddle as it works much better for me. I am used to paddling a canoe.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a Bending Branches 240cm paddle broken down stored under my front hatch liner in the case of an emergency where I have to paddle any kind of distances. For just regular use while fishing I disassembled the Hobie paddle, added the "T" handle to the end, and keep that on the rear deck via the paddle clip. I rarely ever use a paddle but it's nice to have it to push off banks if I drift up on one while fighting a fish, or to fend off a love sick manatee that tries to get a little too close for comfort! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AllElectricPA14 wrote:
West Marine sells a paddle that breaks down into four sections. I cannibalized that paddle to make extensions for the standard Hobie paddle. Look at the picturss in my signature and you will se the extension. You do have to drill a 3/8 hole to match the hole spacing on the Hobie spring pins. And you may have to sand down the smaller diameter on the hobie paddle. Works great as both an extender for a double ender as well as an extension for a single paddle too with the Hobie handle. I use the single paddle as it works much better for me. I am used to paddling a canoe.

Thanks for the reply! That's a great idea!

I'll try that out, and let you know how it works!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:
I have a Bending Branches 240cm paddle broken down stored under my front hatch liner in the case of an emergency where I have to paddle any kind of distances. For just regular use while fishing I disassembled the Hobie paddle, added the "T" handle to the end, and keep that on the rear deck via the paddle clip. I rarely ever use a paddle but it's nice to have it to push off banks if I drift up on one while fighting a fish, or to fend off a love sick manatee that tries to get a little too close for comfort! :lol:

HAHAHA... there's a mental image! I might have to name my yak that "The Lovesick Manatee" :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had a few odd encounters with them here in North Florida!!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bending Branches Slice Glass Solo Extra Long Touring Kayak Paddle, 280cm.

For me, an extra long kayak paddle is key for ease of boat control, backing up, and paddling while standing up. The BB Slice Glass has been outstanding, I wouldn't fish without it.

Best of luck.