Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mammoth endurance trip
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Found this on the Aussie Hobie forum, and I thought you might like to hear of an awesome achievement.

Quote:
Hi Hobie Island Owners,
Shane from Binks Marine here, with the great news that Darren and Michelle Rouse have nearly finished their journey down the River Murray in their Hobie Tandem Island, raising money and awareness for MS.
Darren and Michelle started on March 4th at Albury and over the last 71 days have peddled/paddled/sailed 2032kms
down the mighty Murray, should be arriving today at Mannum, leaving only 152kms to go to Goolwa, giving the grand total of 2184 kms travelled. That’s right, thats not a misprint or a typo, TWO THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FOUR KILOMETERS! An outstanding , herculean effort of endurance, strength and mind over matter. They have been averaging approx 32-35kms a day, once a week having a rest day, some days wind assist of 46-48 kms, some days adverse conditions 20-22 kms, camping/tenting out in the bush, some towns the luxury of a caravan park, but importantly, just getting up the next morning and doing it again!
I had the opportunity to join them for a day and a half, they made me peddle (very non-existent light wind day) 38 kms with a fully laden Adventure Island, so I have a very small taste of what they have done, I am truly in awe of their achievement.
I would like to invite you down to Goolwa to greet Darren and Michelle.
Next weekend, Saturday 18th May. I suggest we meet at Goolwa North, right down the eastern end of Liverpool Rd, there is a car-park and little boat ramp there to get into the water. If we are there rigging up soon after 9 am, we can hit the water before 10am and sail as a group towards Clayton, where Darren and Michelle will be leaving at 10 am to sail towards Goolwa. We will met, then we can accompany them to the finish line, under the Hindmarsh Island Bridge at Goolwa at approximately 12-12.30pm. We may all organize to have our cars ferried around, or just sail back to where we started. (I believe they may sail back to the Goolwa North Caravan Park). I would estimate we will be on the water for 2 –2 1/2 hours max, its only 2kms there/2kms back.

The important thing is that it will be great to greet Darren and Michelle, acknowledge and share in their excitement of finishing such a feat and give them a rousing round of applause and cheers!

Just recapping: Saturday 18th May, 9am, Liverpool Rd, Goolwa North. Hope to see you there.

Regards Shane O’Callaghan

http://www.facebook.com/Murray4MS

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Damn it. I was going to be the first to do that ! May as well go back to bed now.

That is certainly a Mammoth effort Tony. Thanks for sharing. Pity we are only hearing about it now though. If only they were on the forum :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.