Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Help!
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a used Trailex Sut-200-s Trailer on craigslist for a good price and wanted to know what everybody thought about this trailer to carry my Pro Angler 14. I called a couple of dealers in the area asking about the trailex trailer and most of them told me that I should look for another trailer as it may be too light to use especially at highway speeds of 75 mph. I am not a handy person and feel that I would not be able to build a trailer on my own as I have seen many people have done on this and other forums. Will the trailex trailer give me so many problems as I have been hearing? If so, are there any other trailers anyone could recommend that I try to find that will only require minimum changes to carry the PA? Please help as I can't fit my PA in my building and will have to keep it on the trailer outside in my parking lot.

Post subject: Re: Trailer Help!
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I only have 1 Kayak and do not plan on owning more than 1 at any time. So the trailer only needs to carry this Kayak and this Kayak only.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Trailex 200s to carry my Outback and it works great at highway speeds.
The one thing you will need to do is modify it to support the Pro Angler either with PVC pipes or purchase the Hobie cradles designed for the Pro Angler.
I used two PVC pipes in parallel to support my Outback as Hobie does not make the cradles for my kayak.
The trailers load rating of 200 pounds is adequate for your load and the trailer does not bounce around due to the rubber suspension and low tire pressure of 15 psi.
I did add two vertical 36" poles to the trailer so I can see it when backing up to launch it into the water.....I do not have bearing buddies installed and do not "dip the trailer into the water".
All in all, I really like this trailer after two years of use.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your reply. I ended up calling Hobie and Trailex and they put my mind at ease. I was surprised that I spoke with a few Hobie Dealers and they tried to talk me out of getting the Trailex and getting a Malone or other kind of trailer. I am going to end up purchasing the cradles from Hobie as I plan on keeping the PA on the trailer full time as I can;t fit it in my apt building. Is there anything I would need to do if I do back the trailer into saltwater to unload the PA?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since this is a used trailer and you intend to submerge the axle in water, I would check the tires and wheel bearings to make sure they are in good condition, re-pack the bearings them with waterproof bearing grease and then install "Bearing Buddies"....they need to be filled with water proof bearing grease that is injected under pressure with a grease gun.
If you are handy, this is easy to do, otherwise, impose on a mechanically minded friend or take the trailer to a good tire shop that does wheel bearing replacement....they can check the bearings, replace if needed and install the Bearing Buddies.....you can purchase a grease gun at any auto parts supply store.....just make sure the grease is "waterproof".

For peace of mind, you should also buy a spare tire mounted on a galvanized steel rim.....these are usually less than $50 and mount it on the trailer frame......you can see photo's on the Trailex home page where the spare has been mounted.......a mounting "U-bracket" is under $10.
Last is a lug wrench that will fit the nuts on the trailer wheel assembly.....since the trailer and kayak is so light weight, a jack is not needed to lift the tire off the ground in the event of a flat tire......I carry a block of wood to place under the suspension and hand lift the trailer up by the aft cross bar.....don't lift by the fender as it's plastic and will break.
When you get home or if there is a wash station where you launch, a fresh water wash down of the trailer helps to prevent salt water corrosion.
Good luck and enjoy your new Hobie.