Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Unfortunately no newbie instructions were included. I need to install them on a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with wood panels installed effectively making it a flat bed. The cradles do not sit flat on the bed; the screw holes for the Left and Right sit higher (off the bed) whereas the center of the cradle sits directly on the bed.

Am I supposed to screw them down to the point where the cradles bend so the holes touch the bed?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

*disclaimer* I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer.

I'm sure you'll need to install some sort of "L" bracket to secure it to the trailer. Measure the distance from your trailer to the screw holes and try to find bracket appropriate for your measurements. I believe Hobie had boat/jet ski trailer setups in mind when they designed this.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I noticed that when the PA14 is actually sitting on the cradles it bends the wings anyway so I just screwed them in. Fit seems to be fine but the PA sits barely above the flatbed.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is that a Harbor Freight trailer? If so how do you feel about it? My buddy and I were discussing whether buying one would be worth it, or whether it would be better to convert a jet ski trailer. Any recommendations? :?:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, it's a 8ft folding Harbor Freight trailer. It's my first trailer so I can't compare it to others. Overall I'm satisfied with it and no regrets. It does have one problem which is I can't reverse in a straight line more than a couple of feet. Not sure if thats normal for trailers, if the assembly is off, or if I just need to learn to reverese.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's normal for short trailers to be very turn sensitive. The best way to handle the reverse end of the trailering is to go slow and make small corrections. If you are losing sight of the trailer use some standup stakes on the rear part of the trailer to give you a visual in the mirrors.

If this is your first trailer, take the trailer set up without the kayak to a local parking lot with lines for vehicles. Take a couple cones and mark which spot you want to back down on. Drive away and come back at the spot, practice. Don't try to learn it all one time out. If it gets frustrating stop and come back at it in a hour. Get out and walk, think and give it another try.

Last hint in backing up a trailer. Place your hand on the bottom of the stearing wheel. that hand on the bottom now gives you a direct link to the trailer. Move the hand to the right, the trailer goes right. Move it to the left trailer turns left.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a question I bought the Trailex Trailer that Hobie has in their accessories catalog. How do I install the cradles on the Trailex Trailer?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Trailex provides "T" bolts. The crossbars should be 67" apart. Install the bolts into the crossbar tracks. Drill the cradle for the bolt diameters and install washers and nuts to hold the cradles in place. Install the pads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have crossbars on my trailer? Where can I find those?