Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo Righting
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know that this is an frequently asked question on this forum, but would I (6'0" 140lbs) be able to right an H16? Would I need a righting aid?

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject: Re: Solo Righting
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, Most likely! I suppose there are a few peole that are about 140lbs. that are able to right their H16 without a righting aid, but if you have to ask if YOU can, then you're not one of those few that can. I'm 155lbs. and I know I can't. I use a righting bucket when I have to right my H16 solo.
If you're not certain then get a righting bucket, shroud extenders, or sail with a crew that weighs about 80lbs. or more.
It takes a combination of weight and good technique to right a capsized H16. 140lbs. just won't cut it for most people.
Sorry!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will I be able to right it at 205 lbs? Gearing up for first solo session.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have only flipped once, that was 20 years ago. I was about 165/170 in the Gulf. Winds were decent. I put the bows into the wind, and pulled the jibsheet up and locked it down. Then used the righting line. The jib being up allowed it to catch some wind, then allowed the sail to get some wind under it and up she came...........

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At 6'5 and 260lbs I cannot solo right without extenders. Perhaps if I was stronger or had more skill at using the wind.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, this has been discussed and really hashed out before. Do a search and read them all. For a quick refresher:
1. If it's turtled, go to the back of one of the hulls and stay there until the bows are pointing up out of the water (tits up) and then quickly move forward. This will bring the mast up toward the surface. Do repeatedly until one hull is up in the air. Tip: it helps if you have a line to hang on to when moving about on the hulls.
2. Go towards the bow of the lower hull until it is just submerged. This puts the point of rotation up towards the bow and the wind will push the elevated stern away from the wind (windvaning).
3. With the bows to the wind begin using whatever righting system you have and lean back. Get as horizontal as you can without dipping into the water. As soon as you are in the water the force that your body weight can exert is greatly reduced. Make sure the line or system or whatever is as high on the boat as possible (line over the top hull). Even 6 inches greatly increases your leverage. This leaning is not a gentle motion. As much violence as possible should be utilized here. Reef, pump, jerk on that line. The wind should be helping by getting under the mast and into the main to lift it. You are trying to break the suction and start it coming up.
4. As soon as it starts up, get ready for your leap under the upper hull coming down over your head to the other hull. This can prevent the other hull from coming up and over you go again. This cross over is made just forward of the frame. Watch out for the dophin striker as it is coming down.
5. Be ready to be sailing immediately you are upright. Belly up onto the hull and back onto the tramp grabbing tiller and sheets.
You should actually practice this on a day with wind. Once you get this down, you can be fearless in your pursuit of speed. You should eliminate the fear of a capsize so that you can elevate your performance. You will also have more fun. Look at a capsize as part of the adventure of Hobie sailing. Have a Hobie day.

-forgot to add that I am 55, sailing since I was 12, 5'8" and 200 lbs. Have solo righted before at 165 lbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MD, THAT is one excellent post! Thank you.

One thing that rarely seems to be discussed is raising and locking the rudders before righting the boat. I would think this would be relatively easy on most cats, and together with uncleating the main, would greatly reduce the danger of a runaway boat.

Should it be added to the list?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sealing the mast BEFORE you go out, or else install a Bob...
I never raise my rudders before righting my boat unless I'm close to shore where it's shallow. But, I do grab the dolphin stryker as the boat comes up to prevent it from continuing to go over to the other side. I suppose this also helps to keep the boat from sailing away without me.
Yes, that was an excellent post by mdgann, and I right my boat using his technique whenever I go over. If for some reason I'm having some difficulty, I do as sxrracer suggested and sheet in the jib so that some wind will get under the jib. That really helps a lot. It's my back-up plan.
I think the more experience you have and the better your technique, the less weight you need. If you're short on experience and your not too sure about your technique, get a righting aid or sail with a crew.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I solo'd a H16 for 20 years flipped many times and weigh 210 - 220 lbs. Unless the wind was really blowing, I needed a righting aid (in my case a righting bucket strapped to the underside of the trampoline -easy access when flipped- on a 4:1 tackle w/cleat) to get the boat righted. Mast sealing is paramount! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was nervous about solo righting...till I pitchpoled and sent me and my GF flying. I had her wait in the water so I could try to solo right. It came right up. I'm 220lbs. Wind was blowing pretty good so not sure about light wind...but you have to work a lot harder to flip em in light wind! I have a righting bucket as a just in case.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure why you would want to lock the rudders up. I want some control as soon as the boat is righted. It is sailing the instant it comes up whether you have the rudders up or down. Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
I was nervous about solo righting...till I pitchpoled and sent me and my GF flying. I had her wait in the water so I could try to solo right. It came right up. I'm 220lbs. Wind was blowing pretty good so not sure about light wind...but you have to work a lot harder to flip em in light wind! I have a righting bucket as a just in case.

This is my experience... I am pretty tall at 6'5" and broad shoulders... right now about 212lbs... In 8-10mph of wind I can pop it up... Less than that I am in trouble..

Those 5 gusting to 15 days get me sometimes.. My first of the year was last Saturday.. A big gust knocked me over as I was playing the game of trying to fine the balance point.. (the goal being to balance the boat flying a hull with the boat nearly stopped.. )

I had to wait several minutes for a big enough puff to help lift the boat.

Normally I carry one of those short wooden paddles.. I have the paddle side sanded down to fit in the lip of the hull perfectly... A nice hole drilled in the handle, and a couple short pieces of line.

I just tie the line to the tramp holding the paddle up... and walk out the short paddle with the righting line in hand... It works GREAT!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Depends on wind speed at the time and if you rotate the the boat properly. We've had the boat right itself, as we rotated it so that the wind was coming at the mast (under the mast) and lifted the sail. The boat literally lifted up and righted itself. Winds were quite strong.

In very light winds you won't right it with out aids. The key (aid) is rotating the boat properly to the wind. The wind then does the work. Again low wind, no go - however in low wind you shouldn't capsize anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a fun POV video of a single-handed recovery on a miracle 20. In this one, the 185 lb dude shows good technique but eventually gives up, climbs the dry hull and unclips the shroud. This gives him far more leverage with the slanted hull.

I was wondering what you all thought to this technique, and if it's showing the use of a "shroud extender"? (Looks to be a light wind day).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqY_zMlETo0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pleas, has somebody the upright solo righting system (shroud extender) for HC16?
How long is cable (lug to lug)?
Thank you