Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outriggers On An Outback
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since I was apparently the first to use the RAM rocket launcher rod-holders to mount outriggers on an Outback back in early 2004, I have received numerous requests from around the country about how to do this. So I thought I would post more of the details here. Hope Hobie doesn't mind my drilling a few holes in their yak.

1. The first thing you need are the RAM rocket launcher rod holders. These are available from various sources, but two good ones are:
http://kayakfishinggear.com and http://kayakfishingstuff.com

2. I mounted RAM balls using a 2x5 inch piece of aluminum stock (from Lowe's or HD) as a backing plate (to cut down hull flexing at the point of attachment) using thru-bolted 1 inch SS machine screws as shown. These were mounted just aft of the rear built-in Hobie rod-holders. To the right is the completed installation.

3. I then used 30 inch long, 1 1/4 inch diameter PVC pipe inserted into the RAM rod-holders and secured these with a 2 1/2 inch long SS machine screw and wing nut.

4. The next step was to attach a right-angle elbow to the main PVC arm in order to mount the lobster pot buoys from Hamilton Marine in Maine. Note that there are several ways to do this using reducing fittings, depending on what you can find at your local PVC supplier.
http://www.hamiltonmarine.com

5. Next you mount your lobster pot buoys on 1/2 inch PVC arms back to back. I used the 5 x11 inch buoys, but they also come in 6 x 14 inch models that some folks like better since they should provide more flotation.

6. This shows the outrigger arm installed on the port side.

7. And here we are in the field, ready to rumble.

8. View from the stern showing both outriggers in place.

This makes a great winter-time DIY project. The outriggers are easy to mount and remove, as well as being easy to adjust depending on the chop and wave height. Have fun!
Dick

Last edited by Apalach on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive seen your outriggers on the KFS site before and am wondering what their primary purpose is. I understand some people want the stability so they can stand up in their yak for sight fishing and fly casting. I sail my Outback and am curious about how the outriggers might work in that situation. Do they cause enough drag to cause the boat to pull about? I know you sail your rig and must have tried sailing with the outriggers in place. On a different subject, you've mentioned kayaking "over oyster bars" in Fla. In Ca. we kayak "to oyster bars" where we usually have a few margaritas or cervezas with the oysters.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Noa,
Good question. Mostly I did it for some added stability while on the water in general, as well as for standing and sight fishing. Also because it seemed like a cool project! However, I discovered that there is not much standing room in an Outback except on the seat. Got a new plan for use of the outriggers. I've decided to try just one outrigger on the side (port) to which I turn to get stuff out of my crate or ice chest. Then on the starboard side I am going to use a regular RAM rocket launcher tube for holding and angling my trolling rod, since it will be a lot easier to get at than if it is behind me in one of the crate rod-holders. Also I like being able to try different angles and settings of my trolling rod depending on wind and current. Will have to see how that works out.

With regard to sailng, I have to confess I have not yet tried the outriggers there, partially for the same reason you mentioned--the drag question. Also I wanted to see how it handled under sail without the outriggers. I think I might have to elevate the outriggers off the water surface a bit more than usual so they only make contact while sailing close-hauled--hope to try that next time out.

Yeah, as a native Californian, I know about those "other" oyster bars. In fact, we have a few back here also. I used to be a big fan of raw oysters, before we started having so many water pollution problems. In Florida now it seems like each year we are having an increasing number of fatalities from conflicts between the Vibrio bacterium in raw oysters and the human immune system. Now I watch other folks slurping down the raw stuff, while I focus on the margaritas and the cervezas--no conflicts at all with that stuff and my immune system...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response, Apalach. I just received a pair of RAM rocket launchers from KFS and will mount them just forward of the forward molded in rod holders. They will be used primarily for trolling. The anticipated benefits will be 1) A wider spread for better coverage when adjusted to low angle with less likelyhood of tangling. 2) rod tips will be closer to the water's surface for deeper diving of lures and less wind effect on the lines. 3) Better visibility of the rods when a strike occurs. (And possibly) 4) The ability to troll while under sail. But hey, if only 2 out of 4 benefits are realized I'll be a Happy Hobie Honcho!
I'm also toying with the idea of outriggers for sailing but rather than flotation type with the lobster trap floats I'm thinking of light weight foils shaped kinda like water skis. Maybe I can fabricate from sheet aluminum or acrylic.
Oh, one last thing. Thanks for sharing your pedal weight idea (BRILLIANT!!) and also the mast hole/Scotty pole holder concept. Who woulda thought.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Don't know if you saw Punchinellos post earlier on KFS about how he rigged his Sport model with his own version of the sail kit, as well as his home-crafted outriggers. Has to be the coolest Hobie sailing rig ever, complete with bowsprit! He shaped his outriggers by hand out of Styrofoam and covered them with fiberglas sheets as I recall, Of course, he is a sculptor, but I was still impressed! I have also seen a couple of posts about outriggers made by lashing a couple of pool noodles to a PVC frame with cable ties or tape. Apparently worked fine since the guy had been using them that way for over a year.

A friendly word of warning about mounting anything forward of the general seating area-you have to make certain it won't interfere with your paddle motion, not to mention your casting, as well as the sail flopping around when you tack. I would tend to go with mounting them near the aft built-n rod holders so they will be more out of the way, no matter how you eventually rig everything. Conflicts with the paddle were the main reason I went with placing my outriggers aft, and I still occasionally tap them. Trolling under sail is a great idea, but I have not yet gotten to that point. I found myself keeping busy just trying to come about without dumping, so the thought of trolling at the same time never entered my mind. May have to give it a try this season. Have fun--Hobie sure makes well-engineered boats!
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm puzzled with your use of the RAM rod holder to attach out-riggers. What holds the outrigger down? Just the friction of the clamp on the ball? I wouldn't have thought this would be sufficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's the beauty of the RAM mounts--one handscrew to adjust up or down, or to install or remove. You can actually pick the boat up by the RAM mount itself due to the strength of attachment and lack of slipping of the RAM mount on the ball. I also roughened up the rubber on the ball with a file after installing them on the boat to increase the friction of the clamp on the ball.

Post subject: Outriggers on an Outback
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

>>>> I sail my Outback and am curious about how the outriggers might work in that situation. Do they cause enough drag to cause the boat to pull about? <<<<

Since the outriggers can be lifted when attached to the RAM tubes, it looks like it would be easy to lift and set them a few degrees above water surface, so that when you were traveling, they wouldn't affect your forward motion, or you could fold them backwards onto the deck as Dick does.

Ray

P.S.

Dick, I had to join this group too. One of the links you gave me got me here (at first I couldn't figure out where or how; I didn't relize I had left KayalFishingStuff). Now, I find there's good info here, so here I am!

Phone: 254-772-3520

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ray,
Good to see you over here also. When I first started posting, there was not much crossover between KFS and this site, so I posted similar articles on both. Now there is a lot more interchange between the two sites, but as a big Hobie fan, I still use both sites.

When I first started sailing, I did not use my outriggers for that very reason. I thought they might dig in and cause the boat to veer off course. But, as you say, if you lift the buoys a few inches above the water surface, this allows for a certain amount of "lean" when on a reach. But, as it turned out, the streamlining of the lobster pot buoys seems to keep them riding at the surface without digging in to cause drag. Kind of neat to see the buoys moving right along with a "bone in their teeth" (as we used to say in the Navy destroyer squadrons) as the boat picks up speed.

In fact, here is a pic I took of the “bone” or “bow wave” on the outrigger when I was moving along at a good clip in my OB under pedal power only.
Best,
Dick

Post subject: Links?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

may I ask the links to these? "pedal weight idea (BRILLIANT!!) and also the mast hole/Scotty pole holder concept". Thanks Bullet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bob,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum! Lots of good info here. Let me see if I can find those that you asked about. OK, here we go. The first one is about using the mast holder as an extra mount for a Scotty rodholder.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1363

Here's the second about giving your Mirage drive some balls.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1381

For other ideas that you might find of interest, you can click on the “Searchâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach, do you think it would work to eliminate the 90 degree elbow and go straight into the lobster buoys? From the looks of the photo, the water would still not hit the pvc, or do the amas dig deeper into the water when sailing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Duke,
That's an interesting idea. I think the problem would be that in any kind of moderate chop, and depending on how big the floats were, the amas would be plowing thru the chop, rather than mostly above it, thus creating added drag. And, as you suggested, when sailing, the lee side buoy or float would would tend to dig in more, and the arm would naturally follow, perhaps again causing increased drag.

If you think back for a moment to the outrigger canoes of the South Pacific and Indian Oceans, I don't recall that the inventors of these vessels ever omitted the 90 degree elbow (or at least had a certain elevation above the water surface because of the float size), probably for the very reasons given above. Just my $.02.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upon reading over some of my previous posts, I discovered that I never posted a pic showing the Sport or OB set up with only one outrigger/ama. Since I’m right-handed, I would normally use the port side outrigger, but retain the starboard RAM rocket launcher for my trolling rod. Plus, I like to bring fish to heel on the starboard side also where there is less chance of fouling my line as I’m fighting the fish. So far, the port side outrigger has worked well, since I normally turn to port and hang my legs over the side to get stuff from my ice chest/crate, including switching out rods and attaching/releasing leashes behind me. Here are a couple of pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Apalach,
I finally got started on my proto-type sail rig. The first one used pvc and 4 (4ft) noodles for the outriggers, this seems to work well but not as clean or versatile as the Ram Rod holders, so I just received my holders and lobster buoy kit today and I have to say the lobster buoys look like they have a lot less floatation than the the 4 swim noodles. The akas are 32" long from the side of the kayak for the swim noodels. Do you think longer akas say 36" to 40" would compensate for the decreased flotation of the lobster buoys?? What length of akas have others used with success?
Thanks for your help.
Duke