Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Overboard
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry a very sharp knife mounted on my PFD, just to keep Murphy at bay, so I never have to cut my own lines. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Years ago, I turtled a Sunfish. The boat went over and I slid off backwards. Never again should I steer with my leg, cleat the mainsheet and cup both hands to light a cigarette in a strong wind. My first reaction was to laugh and chide myself for being a dumbass. 1st for smoking, 2nd for trying to light the thing.

My next reaction was close to panic when I felt the line curling around my legs underwater. I've carried a knife on my PFD ever since.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This post made me go buy a nice stainless carabiner to attach to my PFD and my boat. Looking for a good knife. Do you guys carry fixxed blade dive knives, multitools, shears? A titanium, since i sailing in saltwater, multitool would be awesome with a knot picker (forget name if there is one) and shears large enough to do serious cutting. I used about about a 10' piece of nylon rope as a leash with a figure 8 knot to hook into the carabiner. I thought about 550 paracord as a leash but i thought a thicker rope would be easier to grip if i need to pull myself back to the yak.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think there is any real need to add an extra line on board. I used the tip I found on the forum (forget who was the first:)) and tie the tails of my mainsheet and furling line together, and pass this loop through the carabiner. Not only does this become my tether, but also ensures that I can always get hold of the lines quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
I don't think there is any real need to add an extra line on board. I used the tip I found on the forum (forget who was the first:)) and tie the tails of my mainsheet and furling line together, and pass this loop through the carabiner. Not only does this become my tether, but also ensures that I can always get hold of the lines quickly.

I hear you but the rope I made as a leash is thicker easier to grab onto. I was planing on testing it down int the keys this weekend with my dad in yak. I do loop the sheet and furling line together. If I get ejected from the yak like that it would sheeting in all the way the sail while trying to furl. I imagine it would result with the sail still out. My plan for the leash is to stuff it in the port mesh holder and tie to the crossbar in front. Ill try overboard scenarios with both and let you guys know.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A stubby, serrated dive knife in a quick release scabbard is the way to go. Stainless versions are expensive, though.

After nearly losing a limb, a windsurfer friend of mine recommended one of these:

http://m.westmarine.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy53ZXN0bWFyaW5lLmNvbS93ZWJhcHAvd2NzL3N0b3Jlcy9zZXJ2bGV0L1Byb2R1Y3REaXNwbGF5P3Byb2R1Y3RJZD05Mjk3NjQmY2F0YWxvZ0lkPTEwMDAxJmxhbmdJZD0tMSZzdG9yZUlkPTExMTUxJnN0b3JlTnVtPTUwNDY5JnN1YmRlcHROdW09NTA0ODQmY2xhc3NOdW09NTA0ODY%3D

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott :
Your suggestion of tying the furling line end and the sheeting line together, while running through a carabiner hooked to yourself sounds to me to be the most practical solution. I also carry a knife in my PFD, mostly because with all my sails (main, jib, spinnaker) I have a lot of control and furling lines laying around the boat, I always try to keep them neat and stowed, but you never know.

I think I'm going to go to West marine and pick up one of those Harness rescue tools Nohuhu showed us, I'll will still have the knife, and whistle, and compass on my PFD as well, what's one more item. I'm also going to look at a waterproof handheld VHF radio, now that you guys have got me thinking about falling off and the boat sailing away from me as a real possibility, in thinking back I have almost fell off the boat several times now while crawling around or in rough water.

I also have a blow up safety flag tube that curls up that we always carry when scuba diving (in case you get separated from the dive boat (mostly on drift dives on the east coast in the Gulf Stream)). I think I'll mount that onto my PFD just for good measure.
This thread has me thinking more about safety now.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you ever need to change a rudder pin or clear a fouled rudder, tying off to the sheets seems like the logical thing to do.

Good points. Good discussion.