Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrong Forestay...
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So my '81 H16 needed the forestay replaced. I ordered one from Murray's:
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=02-0244-0&Category_Code=C-R-R-H&Store_Code=MS

I just tried to attach it and it was about a foot (12 inches, roughly) too short. Is this because mine is "Aussie-rigged?" Do I need to order this one instead?
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MS&Product_Code=02-0244-02A&Category_Code=C-R-R-H
If so, what do I do with the pigtail below? My old forestay didn't have that.

As an option, I also found this:
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=02-0235-00&Category_Code=C-R-R-H&Store_Code=MS
If this is the solution, should I consider this as a bad solution since it creates more vulnerabilities/ weak points? If it's a reasonable solution, what shackles do you recommend, or is there something better than a shackle?

Thanks for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Wrong Forestay...
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The fore stay needs to be attached to a pigtail or an upper fore stay. so you could buy either of those products and they would work, if you like, I just replaced my fore stay with an Aussie halyard that had an attached fore stay so you can have my upper fore stay (a year old) for shipping. and that would not create weak points as it would be actually stronger because its thicker wire.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is the Aussie system with integrated forestay a Hobie part? My '00 has that, and Murray's shows it as a Hobie cloned part, but the fiche shows a separate forestay and the Aussie kit I bought for my '78 has a separate forestay.

The upper pigtail length on my integrated one is only 6", whereas the cable guide shows 9.75" as the correct length for the upper jib halyard pigtail.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went through the same thing last year when I replaced all of the standing rigging on my (non-Aussie) '81. Murray's was great and provided me with the dimensions to measure and make sure the forestay they sent was built to the correct specs.

I ended up just adding a second adjuster, which gave me enough range.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first and third parts you linked are the lower and upper (respectively) forestay sections for the standard (non-Aussie) assembly. The jib halyard block was connected between the two.

The second part you linked is the one you need for the Aussie halyard system. As Anton said, the Aussie pigtail is a different length than the standard upper forestay, so I'd recommend you get the correct part or you may still have issues.

I know all this 'cause, in the double-reverse of skicrave's situation (and therefore still wrong), a couple of years ago I ordered a standing rigging package and got the standard forestay when I should have specified Aussie.

Live and learn!

Last edited by rattle 'n hum on Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input. I'm going with the Aussie rigged system. That should do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rattle 'n hum wrote:
As Anton said, the Aussie pigtail is shorter than the standard upper forestay...

Not exactly. I said 6" and I should have said 7", but to be more exact:

- Hobie Wire Guide lists 6" pigtail for older boats
- My ancient forestay/jib has a 7" pigtail (this has the old Hobie block).
- The integrated pigtail from the Aussie system that came on my '00 is also 7"
- The pigtail from the Aussie kit I bought for my '78 is 8.5"
- Hobie Wire Guide shows 9.75" as Aussie pigtail for 2009->on

So if anything, the Aussie pigtail may be longer.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Google "hobie cat wire guide" there's a doc with all the new/old H16 wire and rope lengths.

Edit - Found it on the HCANA site - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 1780,d.dmQ

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yesterday I was talking on the phone with a friend about my forestay while I was looking at my rigging. Then I noticed my biggest problem: I didn't re-examine the problem before assuming I had the wrong part. When I attached the replacement (that I thought was too short) I attached to the shackle at the mast tang vice below the Aussie block. Turns out there was no problem, so now I will have a back-up forestay when the new one arrives.

That being said, of the two, is one better than the other, since I now have a choice?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AntonLargiader wrote:
rattle 'n hum wrote:
As Anton said, the Aussie pigtail is shorter than the standard upper forestay...

Not exactly. I said 6" and I should have said 7", but to be more exact:

Sorry I misquoted...thanks for correcting me! My point was that the two are likely different, so one might still have a problem using the wrong part for their application. I'm going to edit my previous post so future readers won't be misguided.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got some parts off my old boat, and one of them was the forestay that came with the Aussie kit from Hobie. It's 18'10" long, substantially longer than the forestay on the one-piece Aussie setup that came on the '00 (which was about the same as the total forestay length of my old setup). So these numbers don't help you much, but for reference:
- the old forestays are about 18'2" (roughly 7.7" of pigtail, 1" of upper block, and the rest is the main forestay)
- the new Aussie separate forestay is 18'10"

BTW if you have a pigtail with the Aussie jib, it's not really part of the forestay, is it? Both Aussie configurations I've seen have continuous forestays.

And I'm glad to have found this out because it means I can do away with the second forestay adjuster on my '00!

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages