Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fin Keeps Dropping off
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:evil: Am I mad, you bet. I've had my Hobie Outback for a few years now but get out in it not that often, a few times each summer each summer & every flipping time something goes wrong with my mirage drive. 1st time I was caught 2 miles out when it failed when both fins dropped off & held luckily only by their rings. Despite my maintaining it after every use. for some reason the Allen screws kept coming loose. I thought I sorted it last year when it first happened & now the bloody thing has happened again, not once but 4 times ruining my fishing trip every time. I use thread lock & even got to the point of using plasticine to stop the screw from loosening. every time I had to ask for help for a tow. Embarrassing when it happens once but 4 times in a row. not good. I'm disabled with only the one arm, so can only fish using a Hobie as I cannot fish off a beach, so it's hard enough not being able to row with paddles as a back up but & can't. I'm sorry but I'm beginning to think these Mirage drives are Crap & not worth the money & leave you in a dangerous position when they go wrong. I tighten the screws as tight as allowed, but there's a limit. it's even forcing the barrel out of shape. What am I supposed to do?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Replace the worn and now obsolete older sprockets. You have worn out the set screw threads by repeated tightening and failure, so they just can't hold.

The V2 sprockets have threaded brass inserts and this set screw wear issue is now over on newer drives (since 2009 Model Year).

MirageDrive FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=60

Sprocket Replacement FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12580

Parts Required: Bundled sprocket and mast set for both the standard fins and the ST Turbo.

81129022 V2 SPROCKET / MAST KIT STD (PAIR)

81129122 V2 SPROCKET / MAST KIT TURBO (PAIR)

These are pairs of V2 masts, V2 sprockets and blue Loctite.

Quote:
The drive was changed in many ways with the addition of plastic molded parts to reduce weight and inprove our ability to make them.

(2) The 2nd version is primarily identified by the sprocket's mast retention system. These "V1" sprockets used a set screw to hold the mast in place.

(3) "V2" sprockets have threaded masts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you saying these will fit the V1 Model? I'm in the uk, where are these ordered? Looks like I'm going to be waiting a long time for these & lose out further on fishing. I feel really deflated & upset as being able to fish is the only thing I have in a way of a hobbie.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Admin

That is a bummer, but you do have a fairly old drive at this point and drives, like bikes, need service from time to time. Yes, this fits the V1 drive. This is a great upgrade for it.

From a Hobie dealer in the UK or by mail from a US dealer. Parts are readily available. You can try contacting the distributor in Holland or find the UK dealer via their website:

http://www.hobie-kayak.com/

You might try using epoxy to hold the masts in place in the meantime?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I were able to afford it which I can't as I'm living on low disability in come I would buy the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12. As it was, a charity helped pay for my current hobie but they now cease to exist. took me 6 years to find hobie & to get help

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonybell wrote:
I'm in the uk, where are these ordered?

Tony, I'm also in the UK, and I have bought some Hobie bits from Cornwall Canoes.
http://www.cornwall-canoes.co.uk/hobie- ... lector.htm
They have a useful page on the website where you can enter a catalogue number, and it tells you the price in pounds.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, found this out since but I'm more worried about costs. but, thanks anyway, appreciate it

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

tonybell wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm beginning to think these Mirage drives are Crap & not worth the money & leave you in a dangerous position when they go wrong. I tighten the screws as tight as allowed, but there's a limit. it's even forcing the barrel out of shape. What am I supposed to do?
Tony, you did the right thing by bringing this up on the forum. Keep in mind this old system was replaced over 5 years ago with the "V-2" units. As Matt suggested, the best way to extend the useful life (and reliability) on these older style sprockets is to use a good marine grade epoxy on both the sprocket mast holes and screws.

These things don't happen suddenly; you can almost always prevent problems with regular inspections. Now that you know what to look for, the mast-sprocket interface should examined every outing to be tight and wobble-free. Any sign of looseness means failure is pending.

Together with proper installation, the epoxy solution will fix your problem without having to purchase the newer sprockets/masts. Here are a couple of links that show more detail:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44147&p=186164#p186164

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33741&p=135853#p135853

The only updates to these links is
1. Epoxy the screw (as mentioned above) instead of Loctite
2. If you have the mast style (there were a few) shown in the second link, file off the bridge between flat spots. This will insure that the screw doesn't hang up on the bridge, preventing a full seat. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks roadrunner, will give this a go :)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

While you're at it, it might be a good idea to check out the pedal adjustment pin holes on the drums. Since these holes are normally hidden behind the pedal crank, they are often overlooked during inspections. With some of the older drums it is possible for the holes to eventually elongate and the adjustment pins can skip out. If the pin hole in use looks stressed or elongated, you have a couple of options. One is to reverse the drums as discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=15605&p=82759#p82759

Another option is to bolt the crank arms to the drums if you don't change positions and the holes are worn but not compromised.

Of course if the holes look good and you haven't had any crank arm skips, you don't need to take any action. This is just a commonly missed inspection that can surprise the unaware, yet is an easy fix. It should also be noted that the current drums have a stainless insert that prevents this possibility.

Finally, most users don't realize that, if there is a failed part on the Drive while on the water, you can continue to operate the Drive in almost all cases. Here is a link you might want to familiarize yourself with just in case you have another one of those days when something breaks at the most inopportune moment. Unfortunately some of the images are lost but you may still find it useful.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8240&hilit
8)