Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was looking forward to getting my Pro Angler 14 after I retired but have decided to hold off indefinitely. Just thinking about fishing in my kayak kept me working my last year and I got the approval from my wife to go ahead buy the thing. Well, living in the Bay Area, I went online and did some research on local lakes for fishing and touring. I was sad to find that the local Northern Cali lakes have many restrictions as well as contaminated fish. Here is a list of things that turned me off:

1) Most lakes have launch, parking, day use and inspection fees.
2) The lakes in the Bay Area have a high level of Mercury so the fish are not fit to eat (Methyl Mercury).
3) It's best to register the kayak with the Cali DMV (Definitely if you are going to add a sail on your kayak).
4) The inspection fee is due to the potential infestation of quagga mussels if a boat/kayak has these on the hull or in the bilge/livewell.
5) One lake won't let you launch even though there are kayaks to rent (Vasona).
6) Another lake requires you to store your yak on site (Loch Lomond) with the associated fees.
7) Kayaking in the Bay, offshore and rivers is potentially dangerous and it is not advised to do it solo.
8) Many lakes have limits for the number of kayaks due to power boats and water skiing.

Well that's it in a nutshell. I may reconsider buying a kayak if we move out of the Bay Area or California but is is unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OMG
Don't let the land of fruit and nuts turn you off your PA. And I thought we were rednecks in Arkansas. LOL
Even with the fees, inspections, and anything else they will throw at you I think you will have the best time and that will offset the aggravation. Solo is not near as fun and could be dangerous. So has driving since we were 16. If you get a chance to play with one of the PSs you will smile from ear to ear.
Jim

PS. Come to my part of the woods and I will put you in a PA and you will see how "rednecks" realy act.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You've got some of the best fishing in the country within an easy drive in the Sacramento delta - Rated among the top 10 bass fishing destinations in the whole country along with Clear Lake!
I'll be fishing the delta in my PA14 this Saturday to fish a few days before continuing on to Lake Shasta.

Don't let the inspections get you down - we have them also here in San Diego. Just make sure your kayak is completely dry inside and out when you hit the lake - the inspection is easy and quick on a kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

alameda rock wall, sac delta, berryessa, clearlake, sac river, American river.....list goes on & on.... Tahoe, Oroville, stampede, union valley, caples, silver, new melones....all free my man..... best fishing this side of Louisiana :D and lets not forget the ocean...my PA has done it all with rarely a launch fee and never registered

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to live in San Diego. I agree, don't let inspections stop you. Get out there and experience the water. Have fun, fellowship, and be safe!

You don't know what you have until its gone. I wish I had another year in San Diego. California was really beautiful. Great weather, and don't forget to wear your sun block!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glad to hear its not all bad! I'm moving to Petaluma Ca (just north of the Bay Area) next week and I'm bringing my PA14. I plan on buying another PA14, a trailer, and possibly an Outback once I get out there. That will give me enough to outfit the whole family.

I've done some research and I agree that there are some not so kayak friendly issues out there, but there are still plenty of ways to get out on the water. One of the main issues I found were lakes that don't allow boating and even one that allows boating (up to 10hp motors) but specifically doesn't allow kayaks!!! Clear Lake, Lake Sonoma, Lake Berryessa, and the Cal Delta should provide me with plenty of bass fishing. Tomales Bay, Bodega Bay, and Monterey Bay will get me out in the salt!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ring King wrote:
Glad to hear its not all bad! I'm moving to Petaluma Ca (just north of the Bay Area) next week and I'm bringing my PA14. I plan on buying another PA14, a trailer, and possibly an Outback once I get out there. That will give me enough to outfit the whole family.

I've done some research and I agree that there are some not so kayak friendly issues out there, but there are still plenty of ways to get out on the water. One of the main issues I found were lakes that don't allow boating and even one that allows boating (up to 10hp motors) but specifically doesn't allow kayaks!!! Clear Lake, Lake Sonoma, Lake Berryessa, and the Cal Delta should provide me with plenty of bass fishing. Tomales Bay, Bodega Bay, and Monterey Bay will get me out in the salt!

Matt,

Thanks for putting up with me at the Jax tournament...lol. Best of luck to you and the family in California!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We wintered over in California last year and had the Yak in a number of bodies of water. Yes there is an inspection required. One look and the officer said, all sealed, all plastic, you are good to go. Some places have a modest launch fee, and I am very used to launch fees for boats. Someone has to keep those launches in shape. And as stated there are lots of places that boats cannot use but we can because we have such a small boat that slides along anywhere.

If you want go go in the Bay I would not hesitate if you put on outriggers of some sort. Once you have on some outriggers the PA is very very stable. From what I saw the northern end of the bay is very sheltered and looks like a perfect place to have fun on the water. Have not seen the far south end but my guess is it too would be fine. Around the bridge, probably not. Strong currents and other potential nasty conditions.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to address your concerns to the California Fish and Wildlife Department, along with your local county chamber of commerce.

Hobie is selling all the Pro Anglers they can make, but your state and county may be missing out on a good deal of economic activity which recreational fishing can easily generate. Anything they can do to make it easier for folks to get on the water is usually good for the overall heath of the community.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hondo1947 wrote:
I was looking forward to getting my Pro Angler 14 after I retired but have decided to hold off indefinitely. Just thinking about fishing in my kayak kept me working my last year and I got the approval from my wife to go ahead buy the thing. Well, living in the Bay Area, I went online and did some research on local lakes for fishing and touring. I was sad to find that the local Northern Cali lakes have many restrictions as well as contaminated fish. Here is a list of things that turned me off:

2) The lakes in the Bay Area have a high level of Mercury so the fish are not fit to eat (Methyl Mercury).
3) It's best to register the kayak with the Cali DMV (Definitely if you are going to add a sail on your kayak).
4) The inspection fee is due to the potential infestation of quagga mussels if a boat/kayak has these on the hull or in the bilge/livewell.
6) Another lake requires you to store your yak on site (Loch Lomond) with the associated fees.
7) Kayaking in the Bay, offshore and rivers is potentially dangerous and it is not advised to do it solo.
8) Many lakes have limits for the number of kayaks due to power boats and water skiing.

Well that's it in a nutshell. I may reconsider buying a kayak if we move out of the Bay Area or California but is is unlikely.

LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't let some of the rules and regs get you discouraged in nor cal. It's some of the best fishing in the world (debatable) but I love it. And debatable again the rules are here to preserve what we have. I'm in hidden valley lake and have my own lake here in community but it requires the lake county mussel inspection just like clear lake. It's a small fee and a small price to pay for this quality of fishing. Let's get real on this, I pay over 2 grand on a yak rigged, over 50 on a bass boat, plus god and my wife only know on rigs an lures; and I'm going to cry over a 18 dollar inspection sticker? Don't get me wrong, I hate all the extra BS but if you don't want to play, more fish for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hondo, ole buddy...get the yack and enjoy. I'm sure you'll be glad if you do. However, after reading your list I'm reminded that that's the 332nd reason why I live in Idaho. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hondo;
Has your glass ever been half full?? Get your PA - you already have clearance from the tower!! You will regret the time you wasted without it!! Don't be discouraged. Be optimistic & enjoy your PA!!
Regards....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dude:

I am a fellow Bay Area dweller. I'v had my PA 14 for 3 years nd enjoy it a great deal. I use mine in the lakes of the Sierra with no problems. Go for it!

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hondo1947 wrote:

Wow.........Don't know where to begin here. I have had a PA 14' since summer of 09.
1) There are a lot of high Sierra lakes that have NO restrictions or fees on parking, day use and inspection fees.
2) Fish everywhere are contaminated with Mercury and who knows what else, eat the smaller fish, let the bigger fish go. (bigger fish have more contaminants in them). Or catch and release everything.
3) I have never registered my PA with DMV, I don't feel there is a need for that.
4) Again, plenty of places to go where there are no inspections or fees.
5) Go somewhere else other than Vasona
6) Go somewhere else than Loch Lomond
7) Driving on the freeway is unsafe, crossing the street to check your mail is unsafe, eating chicken is unsafe, you could choke on a bone. Life is unsafe, nothing is perfect in life.
8) I try to put my yak in where there are no power boaters, if I do go where there are PB'ers I will run a flag and try and be as visible as possible. Mostly I like to fish at small high Sierra lakes and I am usually the only one on the water. Yes, I do burn a bit of fuel and drive a ways to get there but it is worth it to me.
Join Norcalkayakanglers.com and you will find lots of people that fish out of yaks to spend time with, granted, a lot of these guys fish the salt only but there are a few fresh water guys.