Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trampoline age
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinking that the tramp on my1979 H16 is original. Other than dirt, it is in suprisingly good condition without any holes or tears. The only noticable issue is absence of hiking straps. The stich points are still there with the old webbing but the webbing is history where your ankles go. For much of it's life on the boat, the tramphas been stored with a good quality cover directly on it. Just replaced the lines and even with tensioning, there do not appear to be issues. My question: is there something dangerous lurking here? Thinking that its age will show when I step the mast or get a kid or two on in the water with me. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: trampoline age
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dexter wrote:
Thinking that the tramp on my1979 H16 is original. Other than dirt, it is in suprisingly good condition without any holes or tears. The only noticable issue is absence of hiking straps. The stich points are still there with the old webbing but the webbing is history where your ankles go. For much of it's life on the boat, the tramphas been stored with a good quality cover directly on it. Just replaced the lines and even with tensioning, there do not appear to be issues. My question: is there something dangerous lurking here? Thinking that its age will show when I step the mast or get a kid or two on in the water with me. Thanks!

I'm fairly certain the OEM trampoline on my 1982 boat is original too. I purchased a grommet kit and reattached my foot straps when the stitching failed. I've had a few issues with my rear lacing strip which I've also fixed by adding extra grommets. Tears and holes would obviously be a sign of danger lurking. These tramps are heat welded (at least they are on my boat) so it isn't like you have to worry about a seam blowing up. I'm a firm believer in removing the tramp for the winter.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yea, i plan on removing for the winter as well. other than years of dirt, which i'm sure will come off with a little elbow grease, comet and garden hose, i guess that it will look ok. just didnt want to fall through when stepping the mast.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If possible at your launching location, you can step the mast with the boat on the ground rather than the trailer. Then, if the tramp rips, you'll have less distance to fall and no trailer parts to bang on. Easy to drag boat and mast off trailer first with two people. I have a friend who has to be careful with his bad knees that does it this way.

Once you're on the water, a ripped tramp usually isn't dramatic and can be worked around it until you get back in.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 83 Hobie, I decided to get back into the sailing after an absence of ten yrs. Sadly, I did not keep mine covered all the time. There are some sections of the tramp where the top vinyl is warn off and the internal thread fibers are plainly visable. In fact, I put a lot of pressure on one of these ares and it ripped. If your tramp does NOT look like the top layer is warn off in some parts of it or does not have any visable rips, etc., I would not be concerned. My tramp ripped while we were sailing and we just avoided that small tear for the rest of the day. Those old vinal tramp were tough! I'm in the process of ordering a replacement now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine is original from 1979 and it seems really strong yet. I store it outside, uncovered all summer, and indoors all winter. I have never removed it. It is quite faded, and the hiking straps are gone now. I have only had it a couple of years, but by the fading it looks like it was never kept covered, and probably garaged over the winter, left out all summer. I am in Michigan, so we don't get the harshest sun like they would in the south.

On my list of priorities, replacing the tramp is way down there a ways!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think my '78 (bought in maybe '92?) has the original one and it is in great condition other than the missing footstraps.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all for the input. Got the boat out for the first time and all was great. Got the tramp cleaned up with barkeepers friend, a hose and scrubbrush and it looks great. Replaced the lines holding it together as well. The hiking straps are long gone but that really won't matter to the kids. Here in Northern Cal, the summers are hot and sun intense... will likely keep it covered year round.