Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I noticed there are actually 4 colors listed in the new catalog at least in respect to replacement Amas

99303001 - AMA PAPAYA
99304001- AMA HIBISCUS
99304101 - AMA NEW RED :?:
99305001- AMA DUNE

What jumped out at me was the color "New Red" how is that different from the "Hibiscus" which is also red?

Thing is, I saw a brand new Tandem Island going down the road on a trailer and it was red :shock: . But I swear it almost appeared to be the bright shiny red one sees in a kevlar/fiberglass boat. I had a red (Hibiscus) Island and it never looked that shiny or bright new on the showroom floor. Was this possible the "new red" color I saw? If so it was stunning.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakaholic I do believe you are right - I saw the new red on some revolutions and outbacks at the Hobie dealer on the weekend. They are a different red to the hibiscus TI that I own. These were a solid Ferrari red and clearly will paddle,pedal and sail much faster ! They really did look nice and also seemed to have a much higher gloss to them than previous models. The blue kayaks I saw also seemed to be a much bolder/brighter blue than previous ones (no blue Islands of course)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aussieonyak:

"Solid Ferrari Red" is a very good description. Wanted to follow the TI and trailer to see where it was going and get a better look. Very shiny, solid gel coat type color - sexy. None of this orangy, pinky-red "Hisbiscus" color.

Dang it. Hobie keeps giving me excuses to sell my old boat and keep buying new ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a Hisbiscus TI 2012 owner I'm going to pretend this thread doesn't exist. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In our group of 11 or 12 Islands today was a beautiful brand new TI with that new red. It was much different than the original hibiscus. Very impressive. Like mentioned above ... looks like a fancy sports car finish. Might even consider going back to a Red AI some day.

Oh and aussieonyak ... we did have one blue island with us today (with dune amas).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And where's the paparazzi spy shots? 8) Do we have to wait for chekika to post them?

Or is this some sophisticated conspiracy, to get me all excited and have a good laugh??! :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
And where's the paparazzi spy shots? 8) Do we have to wait for chekika to post them?

Or is this some sophisticated conspiracy, to get me all excited and have a good laugh??! :cry:

Dang it NOHUHU - I didn't stop to take a photo - I'll try to get a peek tomorrow when I am down near the Hobie dealer. The website is still calling it "red hibiscus" so they have not advertised the fact that its a new color.

CaptnChaos - I presume its a blue AI ? - and they bought a blue Adventure and then upgraded it to an Ai (but of course did not have the choice of blue amas)? I also wonder why Hobie restricted the colors on the islands to just the three - anybody know? The only reason that comes to my mind is that a blue or green sailing vessel would be much more difficult to spot in a search and rescue operation than the other 3 colors at sea - do you think Hobie thought it out to that extent?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you will find it is just economics. The floor stock cost for a dealer to have units of each colour goes up considerably when you are talking about Islands (or PAs for that matter)( so they restrict the colour range (til now)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aussieonyak wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

Dang it NOHUHU - I didn't stop to take a photo - I'll try to get a peek tomorrow when I am down near the Hobie dealer. The website is still calling it "red hibiscus" so they have not advertised the fact that its a new color.

CaptnChaos - I presume its a blue AI ? - and they bought a blue Adventure and then upgraded it to an Ai (but of course did not have the choice of blue amas)? I also wonder why Hobie restricted the colors on the islands to just the three - anybody know? The only reason that comes to my mind is that a blue or green sailing vessel would be much more difficult to spot in a search and rescue operation than the other 3 colors at sea - do you think Hobie thought it out to that extent?

First off, Chekika is hundreds of miles away from his AI for the summer and probably won't be of much help in spotting one of the new AI's in New Mexico.

Yes, the blue AI was an adventure that was converted to an AI. It's quite unique looking .

I should have taken a picture when I had a chance but was too busy talking with everyone and then we jumped in our boats to sail out to Egmont key. For some reason that new red TI stayed at the Shell Key campsite and didn't join us on the trip. They had just got it so maybe they were still getting used to the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:

NOHUHU here is a pic of the new Red Image
They didn't have any TI's this color in stock but this is the "Ferrari Red" I was talking about. Dealer says Hobie has changed the red color about 3 times since he has been selling Hobie Kayaks. Alongside my TI the red is strikingly different because it has no yellow flecks in it - just bold red

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's the color of my 2012 AI.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went to the factory and saw the new red prior to release.
Hibiscus has more or an orange tint to it, new red is RED...like a fire truck.
All former shades of red will be gone so buy patch sticks now.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, my local dealer has a few kayaks in the new colour. Make sure you don't bring your hibiscus one alongside a new red one, as yours will look shabby by comparison.

Thank goodness there is only one Dune :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks as if this red will show scratches and imperfections more.

We'll see how these boats look after a season of sun and use.

Say, are those skid plates being put on all the Hobie keels?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
........Say, are those skid plates being put on all the Hobie keels?

I noticed that skid plate too NOHUHU - I would like something like that not only for the keel but for the bow and the amas too. Each time I land at the boat ramp which by design is very coarse (or beach with stones) the bow gets a few more scratches so it would be nice to have a replaceable strip there.