Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback vs Revo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those of you that have tested or own an Outback or Revo, I'd appreciate some feedback from these questions.

Comfort: what's your height and weight and which kayak were you more comfortable in?

For those of you that are loading your Outback or Revo on a small car such as a hatchback or sedan: do you have any difficulty loading it on your car and if so what are the problems?

Which yak is better in the surf?

Post subject: Re: Outback vs Revo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own both. I like both. The Revolution 13 is a little trimmer, a little faster, a little lighter. If I could only have one to use for the greatest variety of waters, it would be the Revolution.

The Outback is a little roomier, a little more comfortable, holds a little more gear. I like it too. I keep trying to convince myself to sell it since I have the Revolution, but then I use it again and find that it's simply too nice to get rid of.

I'm 6' tall and weigh 185 pounds.

This probably wasn't much help to you.

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 5'8" and 200lbs.

I've been in a Revo11 (own), an Outback, and a Sport (which is the same layout as the outback but 2ft shorter).
I was honestly most comfortable in the cockpit of the Outback, nice and wide with wide gunnels for gear and mounting options. The Revo is a bit more snug with me and my big thighs, but it does not interfere with pedaling and the narrow gunnels encourage a more minimalist approach to gear mounting.

The Revo11 is the easiest kayak I have ever put on top of my car. Its low weight and good balance with the carrying handles at each side makes it easy to lift above my head and place it on roof racks. Cannot compare it to the Outback as I did not attempt this myself.

The Revo handles the surf like a champ. It's still a wet ride, but you feel like you are cutting through the surf and as long as your hatches are sealed and your gear is secured, you feel confident to push straight on through.

Cannot say which is the better kayak, but I know that for my own reasons, I prefer the Revolution line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CPollnow wrote:
For those of you that have tested or own an Outback or Revo, I'd appreciate some feedback from these questions.

Comfort: what's your height and weight and which kayak were you more comfortable in? I only have the outback and loved it. 5 feet and 11 inches. 250 pounds.

For those of you that are loading your Outback or Revo on a small car such as a hatchback or sedan: do you have any difficulty loading it on your car and if so what are the problems? I loaded it on the car rack on the 323 Mazda. Worked for me very well. I always had the yak sitting top down.

Which yak is better in the surf?
I did not get the yak in the surf. Just big breakers when the ships went by on the ICW.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would agree with what Mr. Kirkman said. For use in surf, the Outback would ride like a cork, while the Revo 13 would cut through it more like a sea kayak would. I would opt for the Revo 13, hands down.