Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All-

I am looking for a little advice on a trolling motor setup for my outback. I want to put a motor on it so that I can go upstream in slow rivers and be able to motor back in if weather gets rough in the bay. However, I am not too sure what combination of what I should buy.
PLEASE!!! I am looking for specifics here since I don't know much about a trolling motors or batteries.

I would really appreciate... "I have X motor with a Y battery set up like this, and it works good/bad.
Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46433

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is a great post and terrific design for a motor mount, but not what I am asking for which is what motor and battery combo should I be looking at?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had a few on my Outback & Kona. Origionally, I had a 45thrust Powerdrive MinKota with an Optima Group 34. I have to admit, it was overkill, however I got such a great deal on the motor. Also had the remote foot pedals in my lap for steering.

PROS
- FAST! You'll be limited to the speed based on Hull design, but it was nice knowing that I could make a decent wake.
- I would spend 4-5 hrs cruising at good speeds and never run out
- Removable Bow mount for it

CONS
- WAY TOO HEAVY

I switched to a WalMArt special 24Group battery- that made it much easier to carry around

I know utilize Tom Kirkmans mounting method and purchased a small 18lb thrust motor. Couldnt be happier. Still use the Group 24 battery.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

First thing to note..

Unless you are going with Lithium batteries (VERY expensive) make sure you get a SEALED deep cycle battery, either Gel or AGM type. AGM are most common.

I'd make light weight a premium and start with a U-1 size 35AH battery. Weighs a little under 30lbs. Going to Group 24 or 27 batteries will get you up over 50 to 100AH, but the weight is easily 50+ lbs.

See how much you end up using the battery to fight current, troll, run from place to place, etc. If you decide you need more power you can always add a second battery or get a bigger one. You'll probably want the option of having different size/capacity batteries for different circumstances anyway.

Respectfully, there is a TON of info on this topic available by searching this and other forums. It is a complex subject without simple " get A + B" answers.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Guys this helps. I had a simple Minn Kota C2 Endura all picked out, but was told I should really buy a motor with a power maximizer ect. Those are bigger motors and more money. And that kind of derailed me.

I am willing to buy what I need, but I don't want to buy all the wrong stuff. Unfortunately, my experience with electric motors was in the early 80's and haven't use one since. Hence this post to see what everyone else is using.

I'm sure I will have you all good an annoyed by the time I get my Kayaks Rigged. Thanks for your Patients with me :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The less sexy aspect of this topic that hardly anyone talks about is safety.

You're adding a lot of weight, a lot of electricity, and spinning blades very near your body in a confined space in the middle of the water. Consider carefully what will happen if you turtle and/or fall out of the boat.

For example, I see surprisingly few people integrate a killswitch into their home-brew designs. All the major professional systems (Torqueedo/Evolve, Torque, Bassyaks) have them. Do you want to chase down your boat if you fall out? Do you want a spinning prop near your body if you're suddenly in the water?

How does the added weight & how it's distributed affect righting the boat and re-entry? How does it affect the center of gravity to keep the boat stable?

A lot to plan for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Location: Straits,outside of Beaufort, close to Harkers Island
my trolling motor on my outback is a 18# thrust selvor coupled with a 35amp agm sealed battery. mounted in my stern rod holder. could not be happier with power to weight. only change i'd make is to get a small watersnake motor. props are impossible to get for the selvor and are not interchangeable with watersnake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Odd, the prop on my Watersnake and Sevylor motors are identical. Same shaft and motor housing so anything that fits one should fit the other. I have also used a small Minn Kota prop on both.

If your's won't interchange, there must have been a recent change, which is certainly possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have both a 2011 Sevylor 18# and a 2013 Watersnake 18#. Identical motors & props.

Maybe the older Sevylors with the square-ish heads have different props?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To hijack the thread for just a moment (promise to give it back :) )...

Tom,

What Minnkota prop fits the (newer) 18# Watersnakes & does it add any power?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Their very smallest one will fit the Watersnake/Sevylor motor. It's a weedless model. Surprisingly, although it appears to be a much better made prop than what these companies ship their motors with, it didn't change the top speed of any of my boats by even .1 MPH.

I am assuming they still offer that prop for their older motors. I don't think any of their newer and larger motors are fit with that little prop. I think it's an MKP-2 but no longer have the package. Just check your motor diameter first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The smallest MK domestic motor that I'm aware of is 30# with a 3-1/4" motor/hub. The Watersnake 18# has a 2-1/2" motor with a 2-3/8" hub (I think).

It would be nice to (easily) find props that fit the Watersnake...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Visit any tackle shop that might have some older Minn Kota stuff in stock. I found the one I have at an old bait and tackle shop.

From what you say, this is probably an MKP-1.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Location: Straits,outside of Beaufort, close to Harkers Island
my 18 # sevylor has a 5.7 dia two bladed prop. 3/8 shaft. the 18 lb watersnake props i ordered were larger dia. If anyone out there has a part number for my animal please share. I've juried rigged a metal one by cutting off the hub so it will fit the shaft length and running a coiter pin thru it. Luckily i have no vibrations and it's doing well. but i know it's just a matter of time before we meet an oyster rock.