Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Everyone,

Well, I finally got the new PA 14 in the water, and it's amazing! The Vantage seat is comfortable, but I could definitely use additional lumbar support. I cranked the included lumbar knob all the way down, but the support is not low enough on my back. I looked in the Hobie catalog, but all I saw was the inflatable seat cushion. Has anyone used this for lumbar support? Any other products that anyone has used with success?

Thanks,
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Poke your fish rag behind your back :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Larry,

Congrats on the new PA, I'm sure it will bring you years of fun and memories. I had the same lumbar issues, especially after the long hauls. I decided to purchase a Thermarest lumbar pad (+- $30) and couldn't have been more pleased. With the Vantage seat, you may find a way to fasten it in place with small ties. I have a 2010 PA and simply place it behind my back before pedaling. Have a look-see.... it was a game changer for me.

Good luck and have a blast with the new adult passie!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2010 PA14, with the older model seat. After one season I did get the Hobie inflatable lumbar support and it made long days on the water a lot more comfortable. My only problem with it is that the inflation valve is located on the back side, in the lower left corner. When folding the seat up the valve can get pinched between the seat and the seatback. I had to get it replaced after just a few uses (on warranty) because this cracked the valve. I don't know if that would be a problem on the Vantage seat or not. Now I am just more careful of this and have no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I, too, have the Hobie inflatable lumbar support that I use with my 2010 PA. I've had it since day one and wouldn't want to be on the water without it. It really makes the seat way more comfortable. It is easy to adjust the firmness to whatever is needed. Not sure how it will fit in the Vantage seat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get one of those wire-frame/nylon netting lumbar supports they make for office chairs. You can even find them at dollar stores for a buck. I use one on my pre-Vantage set and love it. I tied a section of 1/8" bungee to each side and slip that over the PA seat to hold the support in place.

If it doesn't suit your needs, you're only out a couple bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone - I'm going for the Thermarest lumbar pillow for starters. I'll let you allknow how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobies lumbar pad is very comfortable but,
The first one I bought leaked after only a couple trips and the second was not any better and it also quickly developed a leak.
I still have the second one and have yet to return it.
Great idea, perfect shape and design, maybe you will get lucky and get a non leaking one
I give up, and will be looking into something different