Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Fishing PFD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for a PFD specifically for when fishing out of my Revo.
Any idea? I saw one from MTI over the weekend that was more fishing specific than most others I have seen.
TIA.

Post subject: Re: Best Fishing PFD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have you taken a look at the inflatables yet? I find that with pedaling, the inflatable PFD's are very comfortable...

If you are looking at the regualr high-backed kayak vests, take a look at the Stohlquist Fisherman - has some pockets for storage and small tools. The Astral V-Eight is also a nice comfortable vest...it has a design that allows air to flow through the floatation foam pieces...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Stohlquist Fisherman vest and really like it. I can't swim so my life depends upon my life jacket! I definitely wouldn't trust an inflatable when it comes to saving my life....but that's just me! A buddy of mine had on an inflatable life vest and ended up in the drink when his canoe capsized. He pannicked because it squeezed around his neck and he could barely swim because of how it aired up...it wasn't a pretty scene! I tried my Stohlquist Fisherman out last summer in a lake when the water was warm before using it on a 2 week trip to the Great Lakes. I floated high and secure. It's also nice having a few pockets to stash gear!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Kokatat PFD, model: bahia tour
http://kokatat.com/products/pfd/bahia-tour-pfd.html

I like it, it has space in the pockets for my camera, spot locator, and my pliers. Its very comfortable and has a high back with mesh on the lower back, but the flotation material is thick so it looks bulky on me (I have my own insulation thank you very much lol). If you don't mind your PFD on the thicker side of things, this is a good option for the Revo paddler who needs a few more pockets to stash a camera/granolabar/pliers.

Still, I plan to invest in a Hobie inflatable PFD now that summer is here and Florida is HOT as hell :|

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just got an NRS Chinook. I chose it because I wanted a PFD for both kayaking and wading. With a bad leg and a 17 month old at home I decided it's time to not take any chances whether I'm in a boat of just wading a stream.

It's the most "fishing vest" like of the ones I looked at. Wore it wading a few times fly fishing this spring & it eliminated the need for a fishing vest or belly/waist pack. Haven't tried it in the boat yet, but it's got a higher back than my old Stohlquist & seems just as comfortable. Holds more stuff than I should probably have in it. Pleased so far.

If you plan on getting out of the boat to fish often it's handy to have the basics right on your PFD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not trying to be a smart arse but the best PFD is the one you are wearing. I have seen far too many pictures of folks out fishing while not wearing their pfd :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Stohlquist now, but it is not a Fisherman model. I don't think I have seen one of those locally.
I had several inflatables with my power boat and have been considering them as well.
Thanks for the feedback.
Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Not trying to be a smart arse but the best PFD is the one you are wearing. I have seen far too many pictures of folks out fishing while not wearing their pfd :roll:

Agreed! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:

Maybe not!!! But not a good answer either. I wouldn't wear a inflatable. The problem with a inflatable is you never know if its going to work until you need it. Also if u do find yourself over and in the drink there's a good chance those hooks you were using to hook your trophy are going to hook that balloon around your neck and deflate it for you.
If I was you I would find a PFD that fits and feels comfortable on you and also pockets that you can put a few things in that will increase your odds of survival if the unplanned does happen.
I keep my VHF attached to my pfd also a knife that is only there for that reason of survival and never used for anything else but that. A strobe light, mirror and a laser light. Theres no doubt thats this might seem to be a little bit over overkill or maybe not. I have all ready put myself in the drink and didn't need any of the items I described here including my pfd. But what if I did need them?.Here is my post of when I went went for a swim viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37285&p=151965#p151965 and also my videos so you can see what I wear on my PFD
http://www.youtube.com/user/MUDDUCKS47?feature=guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Am I the only one who doesn't really get hot in a foam PFD?

I find that after a very short time I don't even notice the PFD, even on 90+ degree days. Maybe the foam acts like an insulator & keeps my body temp constant? At the end of the day my shirt is sweaty where I had the vest on, but that's it. I never feel like I need to take the vest off to cool down.

I'm talking Chesapeake summer weather which is hot and very humid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gas Yakker wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't really get hot in a foam PFD?

I find that after a very short time I don't even notice the PFD, even on 90+ degree days. Maybe the foam acts like an insulator & keeps my body temp constant? At the end of the day my shirt is sweaty where I had the vest on, but that's it. I never feel like I need to take the vest off to cool down.

I'm talking Chesapeake summer weather which is hot and very humid.

I'm in South Florida, its not even full-on summer and I'm dying of heat. I will say however that the high backed PFDs with the mesh lower back seem to be quite comfortable and as cool as possible while still providing ample flotation in case of emergency. My desire to get an inflatable is partially steeped in vanity but also the desire to reduce the amount of friction when I am speed jigging and have the rod butt tucked under my armpit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the paddlers in our Hobie kayak group recently went overboard in an inflatable PFD and was unable to get back onto his Hobie until we stabbed the PFD with a knife to let the air out! I use a NRS Chinook which works great for fishing and doesn't interfere with the high Hobie seat back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I pretty much use a PFD 100% of the time and have pretty much gotten use to the heat factor here in South Florida.
I wore Body Armor for 14 yrs and still have to deal with Bunker Gear every third day (over 25 yrs), so wearing a PFD is no big deal...plus it gives me a place to store my pliers, camera, whistle and Boomerang "Snip".

I go back & forth between a Stohlquist Fisherman and Extrasport Osprey, I find both do well in the dead of summer. My 12 y/o son also uses a E/sport Osprey PFD.

I won a Hobie (Stohlquist) Fisherman (olive) at the YakAttack tourney up in Virginia a couple months back, so I might be making my old one (yellow) a spare/loaner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SFHarry wrote:
One of the paddlers in our Hobie kayak group recently went overboard in an inflatable PFD and was unable to get back onto his Hobie until we stabbed the PFD with a knife to let the air out! I use a NRS Chinook which works great for fishing and doesn't interfere with the high Hobie seat back.

Didnt believe this until I saw an inflatable that my dad bought this weekend. He didnt inflate it when he fell out of the kayak, but after looking at the picture of the PFD when inflated on the packaging, I'm glad he didnt, otherwise we would have had that problem you mentioned.