Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evolve motor questions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:wink: I am thinking about buying an evolve v2 motor and solar panel for my Hobie Tandem.
Which Mirage well is best for placing the evolve motor?
Do I have to install a haka to mount the solar panel, best place to mount the panel?
Does the solar panel charge the battery at the same time as the motor is drawing power?
Will the solar panel actually run the motor?
What is the 'real world' battery time at mid-speed throttle?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TIDALWAVE wrote:
:wink: I am thinking about buying an evolve v2 motor and solar panel for my Hobie Tandem.
Which Mirage well is best for placing the evolve motor?
Do I have to install a haka to mount the solar panel, best place to mount the panel?
Does the solar panel charge the battery at the same time as the motor is drawing power?
Will the solar panel actually run the motor?
What is the 'real world' battery time at mid-speed throttle?

Don't know all the answers to your questions but a friend sent me the following numbers a few weeks ago. He's had an evolve for a few years and likes it.

Slow Speed 2.6mph, 21.8 miles range, 8:20 runtime
Half Power 3.7mph, 15.5 miles range, 4:10 runtime
Full Power 5.8 mph, 4.6 miles range, 0:48 runtime

I'm pretty sure you can solar charge while the motor is running. My dealer said he thought it might run continuous off the panel but probably slow speed. I purchased an i-evolve recently and tried it out for the first time this weekend. The AI Experience was quite a bit different to say the least. Went out a pass with the wind against us (wife on the trampoline) and the current from the tide also against us and it was quite useful. I felt dirty though :oops: ... We shot past a TI who kept glancing toward us, possibly confused how a loaded down AI was able to go faster than a TI and point so much higher into the wind with our mirage drive sitting on the other tramp. I don't think he ever got close enough to us to figure it out.

Hakas would be useful if you're going solar. It just seems like it would get too complicated and crowded with all the wires and solar panel which is a good size. While researching the solar option, someone posted on a hobie message that he thought for the money it would make more sense in most cases to buy a spare high capacity battery instead of the panels.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
We shot past a TI who kept glancing toward us, possibly confused how a loaded down AI was able to go faster than a TI and point so much higher into the wind with our mirage drive sitting on the other tramp. I don't think he ever got close enough to us to figure it out.

Excellent! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can definately run the motor and charge while underway I do that on my outback see youtube video http://youtu.be/8FXyd3ajd7w At 2mph I can run without draining the battery.