Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I almost shed a tear as our trusty little Bravo went out the driveway on a trailer yesterday but our Shiny New Wave was left in its place so I wasn't able to stay sad for too long. Sadly it's cold & gusting over 30 knots today and I think I'd like my first sail in it to be a bit less "eventful", shall we say. Tomorrow maybe.

One oddity though. Perhaps someone can educate me. The tiller crossbar came with the end pieces offset by 90 degrees. Neither wanted to rotate freely and I couldn't figure out how this could ever possibly work if it was intentional but luckily one end piece was held in by a screw instead of a rivet. I was able to remove the screw and adjust it so it matched the other.

Is this normal? I find it odd that one side would be riveted but the other used a screw. Almost makes one suspect that the crossbar on my 'new' Wave was repaired and done so incorrectly. Everything else was in pristine condition.

The mainsheet block was also a bit of a surprise. The Bravo block actually seemed a bit beefier (maybe not it's gone now so I can't compare) and it has no ratchet option. Honestly, it looks plenty strong enough and you don't really need ratcheting action much for a Wave but it did make me me go hmm for a bit.

All is great thoough and I can barely keep my mind on work. I keep looking out at the wind, hoping it settles. No luck so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats!!! Need a dolly for your new rig? I have a set of Cat Trax for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Rob.
Is that the home made one in your Bravo add, because it looks perfect for the Bravo but too short for the Wave.
If it's a CatTrax for a Wave, I really should jump on it because its pretty rare to see them for sale, used, within driving distance. What's the price?
[EDIT] Nevermind, I just saw your add in the Getaway section.

Honestly though, I might wait and see how things go tonight or this weekend when I get it launched and sail it to the shore below my house. I only have to manhandle it about 25-50 feet, depending on tide, to get it to the waterline so I'm hoping I can manage it. Still, if I find it too hard to handle, I'll probably check to see if you still have it. Don't wait for me though if you get an opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After struggling last season to bring my BittyKitty onto the sand shore, my wonderful husband made me a very simple fix.
Two 2x6" x 10' boards. On these boards we placed traditional boat trailer rollers. Now all I need do is get the 'Kitty onto that first set, roller her across to the second set, and tie her down.

Not sure whether this is appropriate for your situation, but it works for me where I keep her beached.

My first day sailing this year!!!~

NetraLee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's the link to my Kijiji listing.

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=494222381

You bet...they're very scarce on the used market and also sometimes when new...I had to buy the Cat Trax direct from Florida Sailcraft as Fogh and Atlantic Winds didnt have them in stock with no ETA.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks NetraLee,
I've viewed some pics of some wooden roller track setups and considered that option as well. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

Can anyone comment on the 90 degree offset crossbar ends? While it was a very easy fix, I am curious.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure quite but I think I know what you mean about the bar ends. My guess is, it's a counter-intuitive thing. Flip end for end and the up position of the rudders looks totally different from the down position...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, how did you make out moving the Wave?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murph_PEI wrote:
Can anyone comment on the 90 degree offset crossbar ends? While it was a very easy fix, I am curious.

The riveted end should rotate freely. The rivet is supposed to go into a groove which encircles the plastic shaft. The screw is supposed to go into a fixed hole, to lock the other end. There should be some Teflon tape inside the aluminum tube around the plastic shaft on both ends; this acts as a lubricant on the rivet end and a spacer on the screw end. You might try squirting some SailKote around the joints to free up the rotation.

My boat originally came with the black tendons, so I bought the retrofit kit to install these elbows. Unfortunately, the instructions had a typo, which would have put the screw and rivet holes in the wrong place to work properly. It's possible whoever assembled yours had those same flawed instructions. If you remove the screw and pull out the plastic piece, you can see how it should go together, and check the hole locations.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

IndyWave wrote:
Murph_PEI wrote:

The riveted end should rotate freely. The rivet is supposed to go into a groove which encircles the plastic shaft. The screw is supposed to go into a fixed hole, to lock the other end. There should be some Teflon tape inside the aluminum tube around the plastic shaft on both ends; this acts as a lubricant on the rivet end and a spacer on the screw end. You might try squirting some SailKote around the joints to free up the rotation.

Thanks very much IndyWave, that makes sense. Neither the riveted side or the screw side would rotate for me until I released the screw. I will give it a bit of lubrication and apply more torque on the riveted side now that I know it 'should' move and I won't be as concerned with breaking it. The screw is currently in the groove, which I knew wasn't ideal due to the sharp edge of the screw but it was the quickest fix to get me on the water until your confirmation that the riveted side should rotate.

Thanks very much. Very concise explanation and very appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Almost forgot. Rob...

After my first drag, I almost called you right away but after tying a carrying line from left to right on the front crossbar so you have something better to hold onto, I was able to solo, brute force my Wave up to it's parking spot on the shore without a crazy effort. In fact it would probably take as much time to get the CatTrax situated properly underneath it as it would be to simply haul it up. To the water, is a slight downhill slope so it's even easier.

Thanks for letting me know about your Cattrax but I'm going to pass. If you ever trailer your remaining boat(s) across the ol' 7km bridge, let me know and we'll go for a sail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Throw some PVC pipes on the ground across your path, then it will slide like on ice.

And feed a rope through a 6' piece of PVC pipe or conduit, and attach it to your bow-eyes, for your grab-bar. That will make dragging the boat much easier, and easier to lift your bows for draining your hulls.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No worries. Thanks for the invite!!