Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The seat was bought new as part of the 2013 PA14 I purchased recently. The bottom seat control is malfunctioning. The knot which ties the rope to the handle is slamming against the assembly in some cases not allowing the handle to be turned. You can see some wear on it in the photo; The problem arose while I was on the water; didn't have any trouble with it before but I've barely used it.

Is this something I can easily fix (no special tools and not frustrating), if so how? If not, is this something I can take to a dealer and either have it repaired quickly or exchanged on site? I bought from a dealer 50 miles from me (each way).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like the rope is not rolling on the handle like it should - it is coiled around the spring - that could be your problem...unroll it completely and guide it back on the handle and see if that helps...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good eyes Elgeebee.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The line is definitely damaged, but it looks like the assembly is also damaged. I guess I'll have to call the dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take it to your local dealer and have hime take a look at it.

You will need a line replacement and that will most likely require dismantling the entire ratcheting assembly. I was able to do this on the other side (backrest) while in the Keys with only a Leatherman Wingman and a butter knife. The knot had pulled through and I had to tear it apart to reattach the cord....about a half hour job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dealer took it apart to free the cable. It's frayed where it got wrapped around the spring. It's not covered by the warranty. They are going to order a new cable, don't know how much it costs yet. I get the feeling it's gonna be expensive (relatively speaking).

I figured out how it happened; if you lift the seat bottom up the cable comes off the control spindle.. the more uncoiled the cable is the greater the chance for what happened to me.