Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My PA is from December 2011. Because every now and than I swim at the moment that it's not planned, I decided to buy an AMA-kit.
Of course I thought it would fit with no extras, but it didn't, I have to bring it up a bit higher about 2-3 cm (an inch or so).
Anybody experience with this?
It's a bit lousy that there's no note about that how to and what to?

Henk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you can post a picture of the problem area, I can come up with a fix in a few minutes.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have fixed my problem by, but I'm amazed about all your creations and solutions, great thank you for your reply!

Why do you have a double rudder?

Henk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HenkvanGerwen wrote:
I have fixed my problem by, but I'm amazed about all your creations and solutions, great thank you for your reply!

I got sick and tired of trying to control the Yak at slower speeds and whenever there are currents or winds or both present. And straight running without constant input to the rudder was almost impossible. Not enough control authority in the OEM rudder. No way to make the OEM rudder more effective since it has to tuck up in the rear channel. So I put on a large twist and stow sailing rudder. Now it goes dead straight and turns on a dime. No problems with fast currents or winds.

When I first get into the water, I get into water deep enough to put down the rudders. First the Twist and Stow goes down because the OEM up keeps it straight and makes the deployment easier. Then the OEM rudder goes down. When I want to retrieve the rudders, the OEM rudder comes up first, which makes the Twist and Stow go perfectly straight. Then up comes the Twist and Stow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AllElectricPA14 wrote:
HenkvanGerwen wrote:

I got sick and tired of trying to control the Yak at slower speeds and whenever there are currents or winds or both present. And straight running without constant input to the rudder was almost impossible. Not enough control authority in the OEM rudder. No way to make the OEM rudder more effective since it has to tuck up in the rear channel. So I put on a large twist and stow sailing rudder. Now it goes dead straight and turns on a dime. No problems with fast currents or winds.

When I first get into the water, I get into water deep enough to put down the rudders. First the Twist and Stow goes down because the OEM up keeps it straight and makes the deployment easier. Then the OEM rudder goes down. When I want to retrieve the rudders, the OEM rudder comes up first, which makes the Twist and Stow go perfectly straight. Then up comes the Twist and Stow.

May I ask what happens when you hit shallow rocks/sand/bottom? Can you tilt that modded rudder back down while in the seat ?
Nice mod, I have that big rudder on my Revo13, and it works so well.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I can operate the rudder twist and stow function from the seat. I ran two cords for the up down control and put pvc pipe handles on them. I have a breakaway jam cleat to hold the rudder in the down position. If it hits something, it will kick up as the jam cleat rotates to let the line free. Just pull it back down with the down cord and reset the release cleat. I have never hit anything yet as I always stow the rudders at launch and retrieve and use the paddle to get the last bit to the launch site or out into deeper water. Having a paddle extension is a huge help too. Much easier to paddle. I don't care much for the double ended paddling as I find that even though you can catch water coming down the handle, the paddle blades still drip water and in a breeze that gets blown onto you and into the Yak.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I'm slowing considering a PA12 if I can't better my Revo13 seating.

Like yesterday, I bumped shallow reefs and such a number of times. My rudder has to go up/down easily from the seat, with no drama, LOL.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Henk
Can you post photos of your PA with your AMA installed?? I'm sure there are lots of folks who would like to see your modification.
Regards.....