Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 Revo Update?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I heard a rumor today that Hobie is working on an update to the Revo for 2014? Anybody else heard that? Man if hobie would put in a flat area in front of the seat for standing I think it would be the perfect boat! (for me at least). The way the sides curve in with the drink holder and rudder on the other side and the 2 mesh pockets takes up a lot of space. I would also like to see an option to put the rudder on the other side. (I'm a lefty and hold the rod ready to cast in the left hand) I have a 2010 revo and like it of course but can't stand in it very well.

Anybody heard of any updates?

Also considering the outback as a poor mans PA 12 so to speak. Lighter and less expensive and don't need a pickup or trailer. I've read the forum threads here on the outback vs revo debate and will demo an outback with turbo fins next weekend. Really like my Revo though and if I could stand in it would not be looking for anything else.

I fish in florida for reds, tarpon, trout, snook, etc. I like to stand and sight fish too when I can. I use a Dragonfly paddleboard for the sight fishing now and that works well but need to get to one platform and decided I needed the mirage drive. So I'll be selling he DF paddleboard.

Post subject: Re: 2014 Revo Update?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dont know if anything really needs to be re-designed on the Revolution lineup yet. The Revo11 is still fresh and the Revo13 recently benefited from the same carrying handles that were put on the Revo11.

The Outback, on the other hand, I would love to see a redesign which keeps the nice wide platform, maybe incorporates flat spots for standing on, and reduced weight. Too much to ask for? Maybe, but it sure would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the standing up thing is highly overrated for many fishermen. The instant you stand, you can no longer steer or motivate the boat. Those large flat areas in front of the seat require you to give up so many of the features that make these boats what they are.

Everybody likes something different I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hear what your saying Tom but I stand up a lot and would alot more if the kayak allowed. For now it requires the paddleboard. For the fishing I do (tarpon) and reds it makes a big difference. Trout or snook fishing probably not. A tarpon can roll anywhere in a 360 degree circle around me and it really helps to be able to fire my DOA at the hole. As for reds, I fish in the cocoa beach/titusville area quite a bit and sight fishing a red or a school of reds or black drum is awesome. The way I do it is pick a point to drift from depending on wind and tide so I don't have to pole or control the boat. I make my drift, quietly paddle to the start point and do it again. Works pretty well. Of course if there is too much wind or the sun isn't right, it doesn't do much good to stand. You're right about that. And if you aren't stealthy or you only see the fish so close they see you too it doesn't do any good. So your point is correct but when the conditions are right, it is amazing. I want the option for sure. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the best things about standing in the PA is the fact that you no longer are required to carry a pee cup :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pee cup? I thought that's what the big hole in the middle of the kayak was used for!? :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hahaha. like it! you don't even want to know the contraption i figured out to facilitate that while sitting down. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question. For those of you who have outbacks, PAs, or other heavy boats, what method are you using to load on an suv? I've read some of the suggestions on the site. Was thinking of a variation of the suction cup thing. I have a kind of spoiler on the top of my 2005 honda pilot that I need to get over. It's not strong enough to just put a bath mat over it and lay the nose of the kayak there. Not sure it would support the weight. Seems loose already. I'm open to better methods.
At this point, I lift my Revo from the ground and military press it over my head and set it on the factory racks. Works okay but the day of hurting my back may be coming. Also hard in the wind after fishing all day. Not sure i could do the same with the outback and certainly not with the PA.

Thanks in advance.

Right after I wrote this I ran into posts where the yakima mako saddles and the showboat were used. It looks to be the solution for what I'm looking for. I called Yakima and customer service was great. They looked up my Honda factory racks and confirmed they are rated to 165# and that the yakima system would fit. They said installing their racks would be a waste of $$ and I could just use my factory racks for the makos and showboat. Guess that's what I'll go with unless I hear something better. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

or you could get that Thule "hullavator" thing where you load the kayak on the racks parallel to the car and push the rack up into position on top of the car...

That might not work for a Pro Angler though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive been car toping my PA going on 4 years now with out a problem.

Day 1 when i picked her up.

You guys act like these things are heavy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
or you could get that Thule "hullavator" thing where you load the kayak on the racks parallel to the car and push the rack up into position on top of the car...

That might not work for a Pro Angler though.

I found that too. Looks great! Haven't seen that system in person but looks like it would work for most kayaks. I agree though, not sure about the PA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

EZrider wrote:
Ive been car toping my PA going on 4 years now with out a problem.

Day 1 when i picked her up.

You guys act like these things are heavy :lol:

haha. like it! your truck is almost just like mine and it looks like you're using the yakima set up. I really don't want to deal with a trailer if I don't have too. Thanks for sending those pics. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I have a 2010 revo and like it of course but can't stand in it very well.

Just wondering - have you considered using some form of outrigger you can either buy or make yourself for very little money? Think about it. 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe in the rod holders with "T" fittings will still allow you to hold rods (in the PVC pipes) and allow you to put flotation on the water. Even something as simple as a couple of 2 liter bottle will allow you to stand up with comfort.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are a couple of hreads in which apalach described how he did outriggers. He had them on a couple of Hobies I believe, including an Outback. Unfortuately, he has removed the images. KayakFishingStuff, where many of us bought a lot of our gear, is no longer in business, but you can easily pick up everything needed. They sell the lobster pots on ebay.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13157

viewtopic.php?t=1548&highlight=outriggers+outback

Phone: 254-772-3520