Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We just purchased Highfield levers to make it easier to adjust the shroud tension, especially when setting up in a brisk wind. The Hobie catalog states that the shrouds need to be shortened to use the levers, but does not give the proper length. Murray's sells similar looking levers and states that the shrouds need to be shortened 8.25 inches. We ordered new shrouds and the dealer shortened them. Maybe the Highfield levers are different from Murrays and Hobie, but the shrouds turned out to be about 4 inches too short. We used them by attaching the old adjuster to the top of the Highfield lever. That works fine until I can get another set of shrouds cut to the correct length. I guess Hobie could not specify the correct length of the shroud because they don't know how much you will rake the mast.

I don't know if there is a downside to using these shroud adjusters, but it is soooooooooo much easier than adjusting the shroud tension when settin up in a 17 knot wind. Much faster to set up and much faster to take down.

My question is what can we use to cover the shroud adjuster. The covers in the Hobie store are sized for the standard adjuster and are not of great enough diameter to cover them.

thanks for any advice.

Art Huntley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

84 Hobie Magnum that I purchased this summer. The shrouds measure 2" longer than Hobie says is the stock length. As far as I can tell, everything is stock Hobie. The mast is Hobie. The chain plates have not been moved. The mast tang does not appear to have been moved and the shrouds are shackled onto the lowest hole on the tang. The forestay was just replaced and is Hobie stock. I have not replaced the bridle wires (they are on order). The mast appears raked when the forestay adjuster is set as recommended by Matt.

Can anyone tell my why the shrouds are longer than current stock?

Art Huntley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you have SX wires which are longer. Or you have the wrong wires period. There is much confusion with dealers as to what wires they have in stock. I've been sent trapwires that weren't the same lenght.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brilliant thought. The mast is 28 feet, stock for the Magnum and not for the SX. I have not found the published shroud lengths on-line yet.

Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use a piece of PVC pipe to cover the adjusters and levers. It will help to keep you from snagging anything on the stainless gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe I have the proper setup now:
The Highfield levers are placed inline, [u]in addition[/u] to the existing shroud adjusters. The type I have (purchased from Hobie) add about 8 1/4 inches pin to pin, so the shrouds must be shortened to accomodate that. Thank-you (Hammond) for the suggestion to use PVC tubing. The Highfield levers need 1 1/2 inch tubing to clear the pin at the base. I found 1 1/2 inch spa tubing that is rigid but soft-surfaced and somewhat pliable with a heat gun. I don't know how well it will hold up to sun exposure. The clear 1 1/2 inch vinyl tubing might serve as well.
Art Huntley

[img]http://169.237.87.11/hobie/1.jpg[/img][img]http://169.237.87.11/hobie/2.jpg[/img][img]http://169.237.87.11/hobie/3.jpg[/img][img]http://169.237.87.11/hobie/4.jpg[/img]