Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a Hobie 16 in process of fixing up that appears to be a 1976 model that would have come with the cool "Spirit of 76" sail pattern

Since I don't have the sails, can anyone (MBounds) verify that the hull graphics for the Spirit of 76 package were like mine? These look like factory stripes to me.

The boat has some fiberglass issues, but I'm hoping it's restorable, I think it's cool despite pushing 40 years old! (or maybe because of that)

Someone put a hull port in a kind of odd place.

More Photos in Album
http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=102941

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

A quick search of the archives turned up a couple of photos that seem to confirm - that may be the original hull stripe, although the US flag is a later addition.

In general, hull stripes didn't become common until the late 70's - the Red Rocket, Blue Streak and Keoke patterns had appropriately colored triple stripes like the one in your photos, Damon. I didn't think they were on boats as early as '75 when the Spririt of '76 pattern boats were made. These photos were from 1975 / 1976 Hotlines. You can't really tell the colors, but the stripes are lower on the hull than later stripes (matching yours) and the fact that the "Hobie Cat" applique is on top of the stripe seems to confirm its originality.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
A quick search of the archives turned up a couple of photos that seem to confirm - that may be the original hull stripe, although the US flag is a later addition.

Thanks, that's great, that's probably about as much confirmation that this was a Spirit of 76 boat as is possible. Short of actually looking up the HIN number in Hobie records. I'm guessing those kind of records don't exist?

I like the flag, if it's not original someone did a really good job trimming the stripes and adding it.

The Spirit of 76 sails are really pretty simple and use easily available colors, would be cool to restore this including sails but maybe not practical.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would have Hobie make you a red and white main, and a blue jib. just minus the stars. you could possible have those added.

It would be worth to me!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer wrote:
I would have Hobie make you a red and white main, and a blue jib. just minus the stars. you could possible have those added.

It would be worth to me!

Want to buy it? Come to Memphis and get it before I have to do any work and you can have it for $400, the only reason I got these boats was to get them back on the water and raise a little money to support TheBeachcats.com. Basically I'd sell you the trailer and you get to keep what's on it. :lol:

Included:
Nice galvanized trailer
Hulls, some damage on outside of port hull, starboard hull nice.
Frame, and original style tramp.
Mast
Original style rudder system with plastic blades.

Parts needed to complete:
Boom, Blocks, and Sails
Tiller extension
Probably should replace standing rigging and halyards.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

damon wrote:
Short of actually looking up the HIN number in Hobie records. I'm guessing those kind of records don't exist?

Got that right - those records are long gone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
damon wrote:
Short of actually looking up the HIN number in Hobie records. I'm guessing those kind of records don't exist?

That's a shame, there would be some cool data in that information about where and how many boats were sold. As well as things like how many of each sail color were delivered.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

damon wrote:
MBounds wrote:
damon wrote:

That's a shame, there would be some cool data in that information about where and how many boats were sold. As well as things like how many of each sail color were delivered.

Realize that Hobie Cat sold to dealers; dealers sold to end users. Dealers often mixed / matched sails with different boats than what the sails were originally shipped with. It's unlikely that Hobie even kept track of what sail colors were produced other than on a short-term basis. Warranty registrations (if they were returned) would only need to be kept for five years (the length of the hull warranty) + a year or two. Boats were (and are) being constantly resold - and often not registered (none of my boats are). All in pre-personal computer days.

It's a data nightmare that Hobie Cat wisely avoided for the simple fact there was no good business reason for doing so.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I loved my "Spirit of 76" sails so much I had a new set made last year. Unfortunately I was told Hobie could not match the colors so I went local. I can't leave my boat on the beach for ten minutes without someone stopping to take a picture in front of the sails.

I still have the original 76 sails, They're usable but pretty blown out.

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tmason wrote:
I loved my "Spirit of 76" sails so much I had a new set made last year. Unfortunately I was told Hobie could not match the colors so I went local. I can't leave my boat on the beach for ten minutes without someone stopping to take a picture in front of the sails.
I still have the original 76 sails, They're usable but pretty blown out.

Love your sails! Your picture is what has inspired me to restore this original '76 boat back to glory.

Since you had the original sails as a reference, did you take measurements of the star pattern? How did you do the stars? I understand the originals were screen printed, which I guess would still be possible for some sailmakers.

Another thing unique about that set of sails is using a completely different style of sail numbers than any other Hobie Cat sail I've seen. Cool that you reproduced that as well, and the shape of the windows.

Would you mind sharing the original size measurement of the individual stars as well as the outside tip to tip diameter of the star circle?

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You bet, let me dig up what I sent the sail maker for measurements of the Stars and Pattern. The stars are made from sailcloth just as the originals were. I did have the sails cut to 2013 measurements instaed of 1976. If you want to stick with the original measurements and can't find them let me know and I'll be happy to measure the old sails. Glad to hear your gonna bring the boat back to life you won't regret it.

Cheers!

tm

1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a picture of one of the Stars, I'll have to pull the sail out tomorrow and measure the pattern. Hope it helps!

1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tmason wrote:
I did have the sails cut to 2013 measurements instaed of 1976. If you want to stick with the original measurements and can't find them let me know and I'll be happy to measure the old sails.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2013 measurements".

If I were to reproduce the pattern I'd probably want to make it as close to the original as possible, so the size and shape of the original stars and circle would be great.

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Jib was reshaped years ago. Not sure about the main. But that what he meant.