Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:wink: KevNC...I haven't had my straps slip using the metal buckles. My nephews love to ride on the tramps...they are pre-teens but are 6 ft tall and weigh nearly
as much as I do. I am wondering if the type of nylon strap may make a difference. One kind may be more 'slippery' than another. I have had lashing straps slip like that...while others never move an inch. I guess I was lucky when I bought my straps.
So you could try to switch to another strap brand and see if those straps slip.
Another possibility is the amount of 'bite' on the teeth of the buckles. I know that some buckles are more 'aggressive' than others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would be interested to know if anyone has replaced the AI/TI trampoline straps with rope/cord? Most of the Hobie cat tramps appear to be laced with cord and they seem to keep those tramps fairly tight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

aussieonyak wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone has replaced the AI/TI trampoline straps with rope/cord? Most of the Hobie cat tramps appear to be laced with cord and they seem to keep those tramps fairly tight.

We had a strap snap the first time we used them. I think one strap was tighter than the others and when weight was put on it it took the whole load and blew up. I tried rope but it take much much longer to install and depending on the rope you get it may stretch when wet. Guess which type of rope I used! :o

I replace that with straps similar to the original. Same problem, does not maintain tension. That is why (in part) I have decided to join the haka craze. But that is another thread. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hmm, my experience with wet Velcro has not been so good. I doubt the holding strength is as great, but in any case they seem harder to get to grip when wet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know the size of the stock buckles? I broke two yesterday on our first outting..maybe I'm just too heavy at 275, but either way I'd like to replace them so my wife can sit out there. The boat handle so much better with weight on the windward trampoline.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just take the broken buckles to the dealer they will replace them on the spot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for posting. I too snapped buckles. I don't own the Hobie tramp, I have another manufacturer which is more than half of the hobie cost.
They use the same type of buckles. Originally they didn't snap because I had a very loose fitting tramp. Whenever I tried to tighten up the tramp and put weight on them, the buckles snapped. Out of frustration I bought some NRS cam buckles and was able to strap the trampoline really tight, I loved it. I bought them mid last summer. I had to constantly rinse and lubricate them to keep the buckles working. Sand, salt, and corrosion all played a part in making those buckles impractical. Nevertheless, I finished the '18 fishing season with them. Moving forward, I want to try something new and maintenance free for 2019 so I just ordered a set of the 1-1/2" hybrid buckle straps previously mentioned in this thread. I ordered the set with the strap all ready to go. I like to keep my trampolines tight so we will see how these work. I'll post some pics and results once I get them out on the water!!!! I bought 12 (some extra) for around $50.