Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 Front Hatch seal.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am told that the front hatch on the Pro Angler, either one, leaks. This is a safety issue to me. Has anyone found a way to seal them without loosing use of them?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The front hatch without the white storage bowl seals better than when the white bowl is in because the rubber seal snugs against the hatch itself. Some folks have added some insulation/weather striping tape to either the top edge of the white bowl or the underside of the hatch to help prevent water seepage into the hull.

The retainer strap does cause a slight break in the seal when the white bowl is used. Not an issue if the bowl is out.

If you're not breaking through waves or having water over the bow, I don't see how you would have to worry about water getting in. I have been out in heavy rains in freshwater and as long as the lid is secured (white bowl in or not), I don't have any water getting in the hull by the front hatch.

Just my observations...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No water leaks on front or middle hatch as result of rain, blowing rain or being hosed down when cleaning. Of course, I have yet to turtle my PA yet :mrgreen: That may be a different story.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have turtled my PA on purpose just for training. The front hatch liner will fill up about half way when the yak is turned back over after being upside down on the water. I haven't left the kayak upside for more than 3 or 4 minutes so I don't know if eventually it will take on enough water to sink(which I highly doubt it would just from being upside down. It would be a good idea to store a pump inside the hull somewhere. That way if you do turn it over and it takes a while to right the yak you will be able to pump out any water. I honestly don't thinking will sink even if the hull is completely full of water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a good question, If the Pa-12 is completely full of water, will it sink. I searched for the answer but couldn't find the answer.
Anyone try to sink one or does someone at Hobie know the answer. I have the 2012 model and it is stuffed with foam from the factory so I assume it will float

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If this was an automobile there would be a recall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Old Timer wrote:
If this was an automobile there would be a recall.

Flip over any kayak with a hatch and see what happens......the same thing. Its water, it will find its way in anything if you let it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I get water in the hull of 2011 PA but only when I'm taking waves over the bow. No big deal, it's not like gallons. I'd bet on the worst days out I've gotten a quart of water below.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Old Timer,

I'd be highly entertained by seeing anyone actually get enough water into the hull to sink a PA, or even make it ride lower in the water... The wave action needed to get that wet would most likely make one wonder more whatthehell they are doing on the water in those conditions to begin with...

If you're really after a recall, you can always talk to your dealer. Let us know what kind of face he makes for you... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't believe the front hatch was designed to be absolutely watertight if the boat is submerged or capsized. It's only designed to keep out water from splash, rain, etc. It seems to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I don't believe the front hatch was designed to be absolutely watertight if the boat is submerged or capsized. It's only designed to keep out water from splash, rain, etc. It seems to do that.

I agree...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is the trick I used for the front hatch issues on my PA12 though I haven't dumped it yet to find out how well it works.. ;)

I used some car door weather stripping, from Amazon, for the lip of the inner tray, Yeti cooler type handles to secure the hatch and cut a door knob hole through the tray to re-route the door strap since it was routed where it removed the sealing capabilities from the hatch anyway. Not sure this will help anyone else but I sure feel better about it.. Read too many horror stories about the original hatch sealing..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p4n19a7dbd146u/IMG_0800.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61n29zekicljz3o/IMG_0801.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mc5mifxaurklsm/IMG_0802.JPG

Pivot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did some modifications to my PA12's front hatch to aid in the sealing abilities.

1) I removed the bungee straps and applied Yeti cooler type ties to secure the door.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p4n19a7dbd146u/IMG_0800.JPG

2) I added car door stripping to the front tray rim to seal off on the door when closed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61n29zekicljz3o/IMG_0801.JPG

3) I cut a door knob hole in the tray and re-routed the door strap to allow sealing of the bottom seal to the tray.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mc5mifxaurklsm/IMG_0802.JPG

Not sure how this works yet but I feel better about it. :wink:

Pivot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This should calm you down about taking on too much water....

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=48319

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:

Really ........... I have 2 PA 14's and they both leak like seives when it rains. The other 1 that I had sat outside for several months and it was 1/4 full of water when I checked it. This is 1 of the improvements Hobie should be making on their PA's. It has been well documented here. People have actually put adjustable straps on the hatches to tighten them down to make them water tight and installed extra weatherstripping. In addition, It's an accident waiting to happen. I know of at least a couple reports of the 14's being sunk and lost and a video that was posted on here of someones turtling while surf launching that document it. Seems the front hatch is the problem. If you use the tray for storage and you turtle, the stuff stored pushes on the hatch and allows water to pour into the hull. A simple adjustable strap would take care of this. Plenty of documentation for a lawsuit if someone gets hurt because of it.

I agree with Oldtimer, this would be a recall from an auto manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong ........ I Love my PA's and promote them on many different websites ......... but there are some simple improvements that they could make them (even as options) sooooo much better .......... and they are fully documented on many websites.