Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: roof rack for PA14
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

newbe to the forum, Howdy! Any ideas on a roof rack / bed rack for a four door pickup. I want to travel with the yaks on top.We have two PAs. Thanks for any ideas. Tom

Post subject: Re: roof rack for PA14
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does your truck have factory rails? I used the THULE Aeroblades on a naked roof and a Yakima drydock in the receiver hitch, seems to work well for one PA 14. The THULE's are rated at 165 lbs and most factory racks at 125 lbs. Now I bought a new truck that has a factory rack and can't use the Aeroblades anymore :cry: . My only concern with two PA's would be the width.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

think I came up with something, one tower set up on the top of the truck an 1 outdoorsman in the bed. Some Mako saddles on the truck an hully rollers in the bed. With 78" bars I should be able to set the both of them up there. I have crew cab chevy an a reg cab dodge hope it works for both. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiefisher wrote:
think I came up with something, one tower set up on the top of the truck an 1 outdoorsman in the bed. Some Mako saddles on the truck an hully rollers in the bed. With 78" bars I should be able to set the both of them up there. I have crew cab chevy an a reg cab dodge hope it works for both. :D

Don't waste your time and money on the Hully Rollers on a PA14, I rolled and bent them trying to load up mine with a Yakima Drydock... They just can't handle the weight of it...and they don't "bite" on the round bar....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 4-door Tacoma with a 6' box. I'm picking up a rack today from TracRac. Its supposed to be 70-72" wide, and supports up to 800 lbs. I'll let you know if I can get two on top of it.

Until the rack comes in, I've been putting one in the bed, with additional support from a T-Bone from Boonedox USA, and I built a rack from treated 4x4s and 2x4s to support another above it. It worked out so far, but I would like the ability to carry 2 on top for trips that require more bed space for gear.

Does anyone have any experience using the Malone kayak holders that look like wings? Does a PA fit on it?

Thanks,
Brian