Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib only question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just recently got an older hobie 16 and am looking forward to learning the specifics of catamaran sailing. As a beginner, I am curious what the best procedure is if one gets stuck out in heavier air than they are comfortable in. Can you lower the main out on the water and sail back with the jib only, or is this a bad idea? If this is possible, please share any tips and potential concerns. I would only be using this technique to get back if conditions change and fall outside of my abilities.

Thanks !!!

Post subject: Re: Jib only question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have an older hobie, there is a good chance that your main has reef points in it. Look for a few grommets on the bottom of the main. You drop the main to the reef point and tie up the excess sail around the book with the grommets. Your main halyard wire should have two beads- one for regular setup and the other for reefing.

I would imagine reefing a main would be somewhat difficult on the water, especially if the wind is really howling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we tried to leave the pier once with just the jib then put the main up once we got out on the water.

WORST IDEA EVER. it just pushed the boat around by the nose. it may have worked better with some forward momentum. reefing is the best deal.

stew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watch the forecast...go out when its 10-15mph tops at 1st. After several days of that you will be ready for some more!
I would not bother reefing or trying to mess with the main sail...study up and learn how to de-power the rig.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can't go upwind under the jib alone. Not even on a H18. And even downwind it really wouldn't make things easier.

Just pick your days carefully until you are comfortable and familiar with the boat then just look for a chance to expand your comfort zone.

I would suggest practicing righting the boat , making certain your mast is sealed. Once you are comfortable in the drink removing that 'fear' makes it easier to focus on doing the things required to stay upright.

If some big air sneaks on you. Travel the main and jib out and keep the sails flat by sheeting in when possible. Many people sheet out to much resulting in a sail shape that is hard to control. It is far better if you are constantly popping up to far to travel out and then sheet in to carry a flatter sail. Also don't forget to hike or even trapeze . I know several sailors who are always more inclined to sheet out than they are to hike harder.

I say just learn how to right the thing, get very comfortable with how it looks and feels to dump the boat, and then give it Hell. Once you have that mastered the worse thing that happens is you get a little wet, and more often than not have a good laugh. Just practice that first in conditions and an environment you are comfortable with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I'm out and the winds get above my skill level, I turn into the wind,stall the main and start over again.
reefing the main is your best shot.
Tenex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've sailed with just the jib once. Really just half the jib. We went out for a race and we shouldn't have ( it was blowing about 40mph). We got about 2 miles from the shore in Mobile Bay heading towards the start line and flipped. It was upwind to get out there. When we flipped my leg caught something and I had a deep gash in it (Didn't even feel the cut on my leg until I got back on the boat). When we were flipped upright we evaluated if we wanted a trophy for toughing it out or have a boat at the end of the day.
To head back in was downwind. Under full sail we would have just nosedived the boat and flipped again. So we took the main down, which was tough in itself. Then the jib was going crazy. It was flopping around so we took it halfway down. We got back to the beach powered with only half the jib and got there in half the amount of time.. That day sucked. Only a few monohulls ended up going and finishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Once I got caught out on Lake Meade, Nev when the winds picked up to 40 knots plus, single handed. I actually lowered both sails and made way down wind to port under "bare pole". Hauled butt too

1976 H16 27640
1985 H16 89112

Last edited by TexKat on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TexKat wrote:
Once I caught out on Lake Meade, Nev where the winds picked up to 40 knots plus. I actually lowered both sails and made way down wind to port under "bare pole". Hauled butt too

Hey, whatever floats your boat man... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would not recomend it. I have also attempted to sail without the Jib, only the main, and this too was a very bad decision. The boat becomes extreemly difficult to turn, especially if there are any waves.

Reef the sail if you can/have too, otherwise just depower the boat, or stay off the water.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PurdueZach wrote:
TexKat wrote:
Once I caught out on Lake Meade, Nev where the winds picked up to 40 knots plus. I actually lowered both sails and made way down wind to port under "bare pole". Hauled butt too

Hey, whatever floats your boat man... :shock:

It did just that daddyo! Being single handed it kept the boat afloat instead of blown over. :P

1976 H16 27640
1985 H16 89112