Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Location: Straits,outside of Beaufort, close to Harkers Island
Has anyone solved the sea tug issue while trying to transport and outback. i have the strap secured correctly. any wheel resistance and the cart slips off the stern. i like the cart for its weight and transportability, but it is useless in it's present configuration. I've added now skid to the pads. i know the cart does not conform to the hull shape and that's part of the problem.if anyone has anykind of cart that will work on the outback without going through the scuppers, please let me know

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same problem and was looking at a different cart when Dr. Steelhead Catcher advised me of a fix. Replace the original strap with a 1.5" x 9' NRS strap, use the original C-Tug plastic ware, and run the strap through the carrying handles or at least in front of the port and starboard aft bump outs. Works like a charm now. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

canvas guy,

The C-Tug is a very good cart, especially for kayak fishing for not having to unload your kayak to flip on side to insert the scupper cart. Just lift stern slide back onto cart.

I have had some slipping issues. My first problem was buckling the strap itself. You have to buckle it as specified in the directions (not how you would think to typically run the strap) or it will slip and loosen making the cart slip off your kayak. I was doing mine backwards tag end on top exiting the buckle. The strap actually enters the buckle first then the tag end goes out underneath to pull to tighten. I found that strapping correctly solved most slippage issues. A half hitch knot at the buckle once tight helps to hold buckle in place too. See the following strapping instructions.

http://www.c-tug.com/uploads/files/english.pdf

The next issue was hitting a bump, curb, rock or other high uneven surface would tend to stop the cart but the kayak kept going once again falling off the cart.
I found the use of a footman loop on each side of the kayak to hold strap securely in place did the trick. Slide straps through the loops buckle as per instructions and you will have a secure hold on your cart.

http://www.strapworks.com/SearchResults ... rch.y=-156

I hope this helps. I have a revolution but the footman loop solution will work on any kayak.

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As Northern Yak Angler noted, ditch the C-tug strap and install a $10, 1.5 wide, NRS-9' strap........position the cart under the seat, feed the straps under the carrying handles, alongside the seat area.....snug up the slack and problem is solved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher is right if you put cart that far forward you use the handles to keep strap from sliding back. Still you do not need to replace the strap if you buckle properly.
I pull mine with full normal gear and a well full of a crate mate, up to 4 rods & reels a small cooler full of ice, food and drinks and the C-Tug strap holds no problem. Even at times a bait bucket with bubbler.

Revo