Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am planning out purchasing a TI, and researching the possible trailer. Hard to tell in the catalog whether the Hobie double has suspension (is that a Trailex 200 or 350? The part number ends in 200 ... ). When we demo'd the TI I did not see a Hobie TI trailer around, but in the yard someone was storing theirs on a Trailex 350 with 3 crossbars & 3 cradles mounted on it. I live in Northern NJ and would like to take this everywhere I can once I get it, so it should see a lot of highway miles.

I've also not trailered this sort of plastic around before: will the bottom tend to get beat up by crap bouncing up from the road? Does the boat get melty hot on the road during summer travel? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't help you with the Trailex trailer, as I sourced amy trailer locally, but I often tow mine on the highway at cruising speeds of up to 65mph, with no apparent sign of damage below. All bets are off on gravel or dirt roads of course!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds great, thanks!

Here there be a monster that coils itself around the east coast of the US chewing up vessels of land and sea. Those who've never seen it say it's the Kraken, but those who've done battle with it know the scourge's true name:
Route 95.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't answer about that specific trailer however I bought a used boat trailer and converted it to carry my ti. I also purchased the cradles (2) and then it is also supported in the bow and stern as well so the cradles do not support the whole load and it is a 19' trailer. I just took it to hilton head a few weeks ago and did not have any sign of abuse because of the haul. That included driving it on 95 for a bit. My trailer does have 14" wheels and the trailer is rated for 3000 lbs and after the trip I decided to soften up the springs some since I will never be hauling that much weight on it, it just seem to bounce a little more than I liked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have been THRASHING a Trailex 2 seater for at least 6 yrs at 75 MPH speeds and crappy gravel roads. Great trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone know if the Hobie double is a trailex 200 or a 350? Is adding a third crossbar that much better?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

75 MPH no problem. But avoid fast food drive through

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice, yes, but, as you know Moondancer, when I look at that I see a nice truck that is going to be experiencing serous body rust in 3-4 yrs, unless it is kept 100 miles from a saltwater environment. So, my comment: unfortunate.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie used to use the 200 for both the AI and TI trailers, but now uses a heavier duty trailer for the TI. I don't know for sure about the double, but I would guess they use the 300. The 200 is pretty light duty for that (it also has a less-kindly suspension). I have the 200 with a TI, use it lot, and like it, but it does jump the boat about a lot. Also, it came with no front end support, and it probably should have one to reduce hull deformation (which is pretty noticeable on mine)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Nice, yes, but, as you know Moondancer, when I look at that I see a nice truck that is going to be experiencing serous body rust in 3-4 yrs, unless it is kept 100 miles from a saltwater environment. So, my comment: unfortunate.

Keith

Keith, even if everything is hosed down thoroughly after every immersion? My TI and trailer gets a good hosing before I head home, allowing the drive to blow dry it. Surely the same would apply to car-topped ones. I live 200 yards from the seawzater lzke and 1 mile from the ocean.. I hose down my tow car each time (about twice a week) as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TI on 200 trailex, and it bounces around like crazy. I don't dunk the trailer in salt water and drag the TI on to the trailer at the boat ramp. I do rinse the trailer and the TI after salt water use and use Bearing Buddy on the hubs.

I wish I had gone to a 350 because my add-on hitch acts as an amplifier for all of the road noise (VW TDI Sportwagen hitch mounted to the spare tire well) and I am leary of watch that much plastic bounce around.

I haven't had a lot of hull deformation, but a third cradle would be nice.

Does anyone have a good way to keep the ama's from rubbing on the main hull (vaka?) when trailering?

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mrbrightwork wrote:
Does anyone have a good way to keep the ama's from rubbing on the main hull (vaka?) when trailering?

Not sure what term to tell you to search for but there have been several posts on this subject.

This is my favorite solution http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40496

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got an old torn wetsuit from the local dive shop as a freebie, and cut 10 inch loops from the thighs. I then put an 11 inch long piece of lightweight plastic garden irrigation pipe (about half inch diameter) through the loop, and some 2mm cord through the pipe, making a triangle with a snap-shackle.

Just as I bring the amas in, I connect the snap-shackle to the pad-eye on the ama, and I then have a double-thickness wetsuit pad between hull and ama, exactly at the point where they touch.

Has been great for the last year since I got my TI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Chekika wrote:

Keith

Keith, even if everything is hosed down thoroughly after every immersion? My TI and trailer gets a good hosing before I head home, allowing the drive to blow dry it. Surely the same would apply to car-topped ones. I live 200 yards from the seawzater lzke and 1 mile from the ocean.. I hose down my tow car each time (about twice a week) as well.

Tony, it is not a matter of people washing their equipment. Everyone except the most ignorant wash their equipment. Probably, the more you wash your car, trailer, etc., the better it is. However, it does not prevent serious rusting on all steel parts. Saltwater gets into cracks, crevices, and holes--places where it cannot be fully washed out. It is not going to be blown out.

Rust, of course, is like grass; grass is growing back almost immediately after you walk over it with a mower. Saltwater rust is relentless, and the salt greatly accelerates the corrosion. You may not see the rust on your car for a year or two, but it is there. In 3-4 yrs, rust spots will be evident, and there is plenty that you don't see. As Fusioneng said, he had to replace the whole roof on his Yukon after he car-topped his TI. He now uses a trailer (but it is steel!) His Yukon was under warranty, and, I guess, the dealer did not ask if he had been car topping a TI. Some years ago, when I did a lot more sea kayaking, I had friends who kayaked and car topped their kayaks--BUT, they did not put them up until they had thoroughly washed them with water. One carried jugs of fresh water, another carried a pump system with fresh water. A 3rd generally only kayaked where she could wash her kayak or sail board off after finishing, and before loading into her van.

Galvanized steel is zinc coated. The zinc reacts with oxygen and then with CO2 to form a tough, rust-resistant coat of ZnCO3. Galvanized steel still rusts, but much more slowly than ordinary steel. Aluminum forms a similar rust-resistant coating on its surface. It is very rust resistant, as long as it is not in contact with steel (iron), but that is another story.

Hobie and other boat manufacturers have steel parts on their boats, but it is high-quality stainless steel. High-quality SS is also very rust resistant.

Rust is a sad fact of living in a saltwater environment. We can mitigate its effects, but car topping an Island or using a steel trailer is courting disaster a few years down the road.

Of course, it is everyone's choice, but it always pains me whenever I see anyone proudly displaying their car topped kayak, canoe, or Island.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon