Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 How to exit?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Second time it happened. When I launch from( lake) shore, I have a hard time getting out of the pa12, when I return from a long day of fishing. This time I was walleye fishing.

Having a hard time exiting the pa12 after an extended day of fishing. Was walleye fishing. about a 1 mile pedal to the walleye area. feet on the pedals most of the time,after
aprox 5 hrs headed back to the truck. This is the second time this has happened, Went to get out by placing one foot in the water the other in the pa12, when I started doing the splits, and into the water I went, (2ft deep), I think I didn't realize by legs were unstable. old guys still think they are 20 yrs old. Next time i am going to exit by placing both feet over the side and slide out holding the boat rope. when I launch from a dock I am able to crawl out on my hands and knees. When I am working on the ground I have to get to my hand & knees to get up(soon to be 83) Oh by the way I caught a bunch of Walleyes, but no keepers, must be 18 " in Colorado.

Post subject: Re: PA 12 How to exit?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It gets easier. Conditioning the legs will eliminate that "wobbly" feeling when exiting the kayak. Until your legs are ready, be sure to keep a hand on the kayak or better yet exit near a dock that you can hold on too, or fish with a buddy and ALWAYS get out in shallow water and put your cell phone in a safe place. I warn every "newbie" to be careful when getting out at the end of the day... unless he caught more than me, then I just watch. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just purchased a 2013 PA14 yesterday, so I'm dealing with the differences in the 2012 PA14 seat that I'm used to and the Vantage seat. Since I don't have anything mounted on the rails of the 2012 PA14, I just coasted up to shallow water and swung my feet over to either side and let he PA drift in until I felt the bottom.

It's a different ball game with the Vantage seat arrangement. Getting in the 2012 PA from the ramp, I just walked it out deep enough to where the bow would not hit the ramp when sitting down and just back up to either side of the seat/rail and just sat in. Then swung my feet around and I was good. It seems you have to climb in/out more with the 2013 model due to the arms on the Vantage seat and the narrower seat.

I don't anticipate any issues after I get used to it after a few trips. The new boat got slimed this morning and the first bass landed is pictured below. So it was a great day!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Bass!