Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was looking at Wave's, but they're pretty pricy and the closest one is 4 hours away, found a H-14 on Craigslist locally. It's an older boat, a 1980 but the price is right, much much less than the Wave. Pictures look pretty good for a 33 year old boat, but I'm new to this, anything to look for specifically when buying a boat like this? I've see posts about soft hulls, is that something you can just feel by putting pressure on it, basically touching the boat by hand? Any buying tips would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Press down on the deck just ahead of the pylons. There shouldn't be much give. If so, d-lamination has begun. Are you looking for a uni-rig or turbo? Factory turbos have a solid rod for the dolphin striker. Most converted uni's use a cable. Check to see if the mast is straight and without any big dents. Make sure the rudders lock and, while locked down, make sure they are symmetrical (i.e. parallel with each other looking at them from the side of the boat). Check the keels for excessive wear. (If it is a beach boat that's more a concern than a boat trailered to a ramp for example.) If all-aluminum mast, make sure the sheave at the top of the mast rotates. This is about the only part you can't buy anymore. Look for obvious wear and tear on the sails. Make sure the bolt rope and batten pockets aren't coming apart. If the seller can't tell you how old the rigging is...just replace it. Keep in mind that a 33 year old boat is not going to look that good cosmetically but there are still a lot of solid boats around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, appreciate it. Looking for the uni-rig,which this one is, we're new at this, and I'll single hand most of the time, so I really rather not deal with a jib, might look at a bigger boat some day, but we just want to cruise around the lake for the most part. I'll check the areas you suggested, the boat's not pretty, but the seller tells me it's solid, which is all I can ask for. We'll see....I don't mind an ugly boat, but I don't want to spend the rest of the summer working on it either. (that's what Winter is for!) If it's as good as it looks, and solid, I think I'll pick it up, sail it as is this season, and make it a winter project to play with in the garage. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for that tip,the boat was definetely soft, and very soft in front of the pylons. Could feel and hear the layers separating when pushing lightly. Was also soft in places on the sides, and rear top surface. I passed. Think I've decided to go ahead and spend more on a newer Wave, sounds like that will be a better choice for the whole family, than a 14 or 16 would. Appreciate all the advice here on the forum!