Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know if the newer Hobie TI trailer has a bow support included?

Anyone here set up a trailex 350 with 3 cradles instead? Much more expensive?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Moondancer wrote:
Anyone here set up a trailex 350 with 3 cradles instead? Much more expensive?

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was looking at all the mods here, very cool setup. I suppose what I'm really wondering is whether the trailer Hobie now offers for the TI is adequate for storage on the trailer without deformation, whether any further mods are recommended to it for optimal support. I wish the Hobie catalog had a shot of the TI trailer without the boat on it. I may ask them.

Also gotta say I'm still scratching my head over this statement from Trailex (and when I asked what warranty, trailer? boat? I was told "boat.")
"Only Hobie dealers sell the Hobie specific trailers. The trailers were designed by Hobie. The Hobie specific trailers are different than our Trailex trailers in many ways remember, if you use a Trailex trailer and not one of the Hobie trailers your warranty will be void."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marketing BS.I would bring that to the attention of your Hobie dealer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Nice, yes, but, as you know Moondancer, when I look at that I see a nice truck that is going to be experiencing serous body rust in 3-4 yrs, unless it is kept 100 miles from a saltwater environment. So, my comment: unfortunate.

I think it's probably tough to escape rust in the keys no matter what. I remember hearing a car body will go before the engine down there. I've topped kayaks, canoes etc for a long time and never had a problem. I fish salt however I'm about 70 miles from brackish water 150 from ocean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With a name like "Surferhunterguy," I assumed you lived in Malibu or just off El Matador or something like that.

I have almost never kayaked or sailed in fresh water. I have done some whitewater kayaking (that is fresh water.) I have done thousands of miles in saltwater and lived in S FL forever. I stand by my comments.

Of course, as I noted earlier, if you live 100 mi from the coast and rarely sail or kayak in saltwater, rust can be a negligible problem. My step-father came to Florida (from Texas & South Dakota) to visit a few years ago. He had a little 12' fishing boat & motor. He said, quite adamantly, that he would never put his boat/motor in saltwater.

BTW, how many years do you keep your transport vehicles?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have a 4 year old Tahoe that has been car topped with surfboards, kayaks, and other beach toys. For at least a month out of every year it is parked in a saltwater environment 100 yards off the beach. There is no rust on the roof whatsoever. Most people car top surfboards and kayaks unless they have a truck so I think for the average use this isn't really an issue. I don't personally think it makes much sense to not car top a hobie for fear your roof will rust. I'm sure there are cases out there but they probably involve additional factors.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surferhunterguy, you might ask Bob (Fusioneng) why his roof on his SUV (Ford?) rusted out and how long it took? He is now using a trailer. He lives near Tampa and, so, is exposed to the "saltwater environment" 24-7. That may make a difference. I feel confident to guarantee that your car will begin to show rust spots in the next few years. It may well be that a "fresh water environment" will postpone the inevitable. But, as with the Grim Reaper, "inevitable" is tough to dance around.

Keith

PS I have personally rusted out one Ford Bronco and one Toyota 4-Runner (the 4-runner rusted worse) due to cartopping.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds like environment may be a defining factor. I have car topped since I was a kid and never had a rust problem on numerous vehicles. However the cars home has always been a fresh water environment. It spends a max of 30 days at a time in a saltwater environment and in many cases 1 day or 7 days before returning to a freshwater environment. Still I think it would be a good idea to wash it off before I put it on my truck. I have head good things about the hydrocells and will probably go ahead and pick one up. http://www.hydrocellwasher.com.au/