Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You fashionistas will want to check out the new "space" suits on the Italian crew.

Reminds me some how of "Barbarella". :wink: Anyway, I hope these don't set back the new art of sailing too far.

And check out the dude with the iPad,..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With suits like that + an ipad, I don't understand why they don't have a spray skirt.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
With suits like that + an ipad, I don't understand why they don't have a spray skirt.

Keith
Or at least a Mini! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Insane race today. Halfway in the race, the kiwis were flying ahead of the italians and broke their jib. Lost it, had it dragging in the water and had to cut it away! They never lost a beat and continued on faster than ever.

They continued to widen the lead and squash the Luna Rossa team, again.

Amazing team. Unbelievable action.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYzi1iCodk[/youtube]

Even off the water - Unbelievable. :mrgreen:

Last edited by NOHUHU on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Obviously I follow this stuff closely as a big fan, I honestly think this race will go down in the history books as one of the best. But I'm sure we will see even more as America cup gets closer. Did any happen to watch the whole race and hear them say they had to Change the start rules to prevent head on collisions at the start. In all past races they would all cross the start at 10-15 knots, now they cross at 35-40 knots, and could be very dangerous. I just can't imagine the results of a combined 100 mph plus head on collision. Even the Italians star trek suits wouldn't be able to save them ( lol).
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, in Italy, a few months back, they were racing the "mini" 45' versions of these boats without foils. Full spinnakers, etc.

The Kiwis and Luna Rossa made contact rounding the windward mark and the Italians lost the front of one bow. There's been bad blood ever since.

When they get all the boats out there in one race, it's going to be wild, and anything can happen (after the start).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Oracle boat rides just like an AI. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How to put your foot in it!!!

I was at the Sydney Boat Show today, admiring "Team Australia" a French trimaran built to a simple "box" formula, 18 metres wide, 18 metres long and 30 metre mast yet weighing only about 10,000 pounds (CRIPES!). This used to race successfully as "Banque Populaire", but the particular class of tri has been replaced by another rule, as the originals priced themselves out of existence. So secondhand ones are available for a small fraction of the Million+ Euro initial cost.
I was talking to this bloke and said, "yeah, but those America's Cup cats make this look like a tugboat by comparison".

Several hours later, I was sitting in on one of the 30 minute talks that were part of the show, and lo and behold, the same guy had the mike. His name is Sean Langman, the owner of the trimaran! He included in his talk the record breaking trip when he made Sydney to Hobart in under 30 hours (he had been aiming for 36, but discovered that it went so well at 30 knots, he approved them taking it up to sustained speeds of 40 knots!) Some tugboat eh?!
Hey, it's a trimaran just like our Islands! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS. I suspect that Sean got this incredible raceboat (plus 3 masts) for a total cost including shipping, equal to maybe a single sail on the AC cats! He said that when he was in France word got out that he was in the market for one, and a Dutch auction ensued, with other owners approaching him with ever cheaper offers. Eventually the sellers, Banque Populaire, were able to swing a fantastic freight deal with a bank customer, so Sean got it from France to Noumea gratis, and he sailed it to Australia from there.

The first time he got it up on one hull, the two frenchmen (lent to him to teach the technique of such a high performance race boat) were frsntically running around the boat, and he asked them what was wrong.. Their answer totally floored him:- "We can't work out why it is going so slowly" !!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good story Tony. This is a great thread. I just finished watching RR5.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJmbdqSdd-I&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4jyS1DaVhX8P6qLqgtFfcurv4mTxhjl0[/youtube]

Their foil to foil gybes as nearly as amazing as my Ama to Ama gybes.

It's all starting to hot up !!!! :)

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool boat Tony. How the hell do they see where they're going while up on wing?! :lol:

One of the most amazing things about the AC72s is watching how the Kiwis manage perfectly balanced gybes, while on the foils.

Another has been to see them fishtail around the windward mark on the foils at full speed and continue to accelerate downwind. They actually skid the rear end while elevated, and this has me worried about them snapping the rudders. They clearly were not designed for high lateral forces and the crews seem to be flying the boats outside of their envelope with that aggressive move.

If they break a rudder pin at 30 knots, it won't be pretty. But it will be good television.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
The Oracle boat rides just like an AI. 8)

Larry Ellison just called KBob from the island of Lanai.

He ordered two 24' spray skirts, in black.

Dee is going to need a bigger sewing machine. :roll:

GO USA!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How good was the start of LV Race 4 ? If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth a watch.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AND THE ACTION CONTINUES! INFREAKINCREDIBLE... :shock:

Somehow, last week, team Oracle learned to really fly these AC72 and has been defying gravity and the odds ever since.

With only 1 race left to win, folks in NZ have had to put their victory parades on hold, over and over again. The last 2 races were maybe the best:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBJh84kUv3w#t=3910[/youtube]

With all due respect to the KIWIS, I'm thrilled the racing has lasted this long. One of the greatest sports spectacles I have ever seen.

Next race is Monday the 23rd - around 1pm california time. Could be all over tomorrow, but I've said that many times now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Was down there yesterday watching with my daughter well I watched and she played on the beach- amazing how fast they can beat upwind.
There are a ton of Kiwis here, we talked to a couple who want to stay for the final but there hotel is booked out with the Oracle conference that's starting as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whoa! It's still on! Another solid win by team oracle.

At this point each team has won eight races. But Oracle started with a 2 race hole (penalty).

The Kiwis almost swept the series, starting out with a much faster boat. But the American team made adjustments and skipper Spithill really learned how to fly that thing.

Everyone thought the AC72 series was going to be a one-sided washout. It's turned out to be anything but. These guys are really tenacious bassards. And San Francisco Bay has proved to be full of surprises.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next