Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How did you get a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin so you can title & register your kayak?

Given the number of trolling motors & sails on hobie kayaks, seems like there would be a lot of Hobie kayak owners that need to title & register their boats. Insurance carriers also require title sometimes.

Very little info on this topic in the forums, at least that I can find. Maybe this could be added to the FAQ?

I started with my dealer, but curious about other's experiences.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's kind of a funny story:
When I bought my first Tandem Island back in spring 2010, the first week out I got pulled over by the police, they had a Scarab and I tried to outrun them but couldn't (humor), (as Sarasota is the go fast boat capital, there are lots of really fast superboats, so the cops need to keep up I assume).
They didn't give me a ticket or anything, but said since The TI is over 16 ft long, it probably should be registered in Florida. I was planning to add an emergency gas motor anyway so I went down to the tag office to try and get a title and registration.

To make a long story short (too late) it was a 2-3 month ordeal, as nobody had apparently had ever tried to register their kayak before, and neither the tag office or the dealer knew what to do.
Finally we got it all worked out and got the Certification of origin from the dealer, and got everything worked out.
Now it's probably much easier, basically you ask the dealer when you buy the boat for the certificate, they give it to you, and you take it to the tag office along with the sales receipt (to make sure the state got their tax revenue). If you bought the boat from a private owner, make sure to get a receipt, and hopefully they have a copy of their original sales receipt, otherwise you might be liable for sales tax.

If you bought a used boat, without a certificate, you will need to go to a Hobie dealer with the HID (hull identification number, on the right rear of the hull), and they can hopefully help you get a ID certificate from Hobie, (without that certificate your pretty screwed, I'm a pretty good talker, and couldn't convince the state that they didn't need it, and just to give me a title and registration anyway).

Hopefully this helps you to ask the right questions, and get the proper documentation when getting your boat, as going in I sure didn't know any better.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Bob. I enjoyed the Scarab vs Hobie chase scene. Maybe the outboard would have made the difference!

I bought my boat from a dealer 2 years ago & didn't get a MCofO. I contacted the dealer to get the ball rolling.

Curious if most people got a MCO when they bought their sub-16' boats - the PA's, outbacks & revos?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had to ask my dealer for one after I checked the paper work and found none. I have a PA 14 and PA 12.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

MSO's are supplied to the dealer along with the invoice for a shipment. An MSO is serialized and assigned to the purchasing dealer as the purchase document for a boat.

We can supply duplicates when needed, but only to the dealer WE sold the product to. This is a chain of ownership document and can not be sent direct to a consumer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks as always Matt. I'll keep working through my dealer.

Can I suggest your post would be handy to have in the FAQ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

I'll do that!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to the Hobie Forums, I got mine after contacting my dealer (Fastlane Sailing) a few weeks after purchasing my boat. I had read the post about registering your boat if you planned to use the sail. When I went to register my boat, AAA told me I would need the Certificate of Origin.

Without getting into the whole registering a kayak conversation, I don't understand why it isn't SOP for dealers to pass on the CofO to the buyer when a boat is purchased.

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Longbikermike:
Because the rest of the world just see's our finely crafted, super, human powered, boats that can do
more than any craft out there, and way more fun too, as "just a kayak". It' a closely guarded secret because they don't want to drive the total rest of the boating industry out of business. ( just kidding ).
The MSO should be supplied with every boat, with a typed page with instructions for it's importance, since I would guess a large percentage of Hobie kayak buyers are first time boat buyers.
Bob

Last edited by fusioneng on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with you Bob. Both documents are equally important.

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Absolutely right Bob.

I've never owned a sail or power boat, so I didn't even know what an MSO is, let alone to ask for one!

Hobie actively markets motors & sails for their kayaks, which are registration "triggers" in many states. It would be great if it were SOP for dealers to provide MSOs upon purchase & inform buyers what the local regs are regarding title & registration.

It's kind of a pain to have to obtain a MSO years later when you discover you need one! So far my dealer has been very helpful, but what if the boat is used or the dealer is out of business?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:23 am 
Site Admin

mmiller wrote:
MSO's are supplied to the dealer along with the invoice for a shipment. An MSO is serialized and assigned to the purchasing dealer as the purchase document for a boat.

We can supply duplicates when needed, but only to the dealer WE sold the product to. This is a chain of ownership document and can not be sent direct to a consumer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)