Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found the two plastic dowels rolling around in the hull of my new 2012 Outfitter. The "peg-like" fastner was mounted in a molded holder inside one of my hatches, the other two hatches had the molded holder but the were empty.

BTW, I tried for hours (i was at "work") trying to attached a picture following the FAQ instructions but no luck.

Admin: Fixed your image link. Must be an image... not the page an image is on. Right click the image and "Copy Image URL"

Thanks,
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The grey peg in the hatch lid is a spare rudder pin - these hold the rudder assembly onto the boat and the spare is provided because it is an important part which can , under exceptional circumstances (usually to do with aggressive sailing of the AI, though that boat now has a different rudder arrangement, or to do with the rudder coming into contact with a stationary object like a rock while under way) fail.

I suspect the two pins are to do with the drivewell plug but I am not sure... Others will advise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think Stobbo is right. When I got my Revolution, one of those grey pins was in the drive well attached to the two click-n-go latches just as the Mirage Drive would have attached.

Last edited by Wndrfl on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The two plastic dowels are temporary shipping axles that lock in your Click N Go units. Drives and other accessories are attached to them so they don't go roaming around loose in the shipping package. Your dealer must have dropped them in the hull when unpacking your boat. If you save them, you can insert them in the C&G unit to use as a grip when handling your boat.

Every boat comes with one spare rudder pin. All the hatches have the capability of holding one. It's nice to have but unlikely that you'll need it with the Outfitter. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Didn't get a spare pin with my 2010 Revo, nor did the hatch(es) have a slot for one...
:?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 06 Adventure does not have a slot for one and I don't believe our 08 Oasis does either..........Nothing a Dremmel can't fix. 8)

Last edited by Wndrfl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

(censored) wrote:
Didn't get a spare pin with my 2010 Revo, nor did the hatch(es) have a slot for one...
:?: :?: :?:
Spare pins weren't always provided. Hobie started putting spares in the Adventure Islands because their high speeds and side loads were breaking pins. The pins evolved, the AI (and TI) rudder evolved and the spare pins made their way to the entire line -- not sure when. It's rare to break a pin on a regular kayak unless the rudder undergoes some trauma (like rigorously backing the boat unto the launch ramp with the rudder down) :oops: . BTW, the rudder pin is designed to break before the rest of the rudder assembly to save expensive repairs.

Spare pins are about $4. PN 81394001 for early Twist N Stow through 2010 models; PN81394021 for 2011 and newer according to the catalog. Cheap insurance. Look in all your hatch lids and make sure you don't have one first. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Spare pins for AI/TI are provided in the owners packet since they no longer fit the hatch slot.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)