Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,
My friends and I just bought a hobie16 1987. For 1900$. None of us know how to sail. At all. We just like adventure :]

We ran into a few problems.

Our first one. Where does the main halyard line go?

The old one broke off (so the owner told us) we had to buy a new one. And a new mast head. We put the mast head on. We have the manual for the hobie. But it does not explain how to put on the halyard line? Only the jib halyard. Which is on already. So lost and have found NO help online anywhere as to how to do this.

If anyone knows how to or what to do. Please grace us with your knowledge! We would certainly appreciate it! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are you? I bet a nearby Hobie owner (if there is one) would be happy to show you all sorts of things about the boat. If you don't see how the halyard goes, you'll probably have a few other questions also.

The steel shackle goes on the back (sail side) of the mast, and the line goes through the mast head and down the front of the mast. When the sail is fully up, the lug where the braided line meets the steel cable hooks on the thing that is a few inches under the mast head on the front. I cleat to the right side of the mast, but that's just me.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did you buy the halyard from a Hobie dealer or is the new one just a piece of rope?

If it's a proper Hobie halyard, it has one or two pieces that bulge out so that you can hook the halyard to the front of the mast when the sail is raised. The cleat at the bottom of the mast is not how you keep the sail up.

Either give us some idea where you are so we can see if someone is willing to help you, and make good friends with your Hobie dealer. Most times when I go to my dealer, I spend a hundred bucks for five hundred bucks worth of advice.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You will have to use a wire as your main hail yard. Since your wire is broken you will have to feed a new wire from the top of your mast. the best way to do this to tie a nut bolt at the end of a thin thread. feed this through the top of your mast and remove it from the base of the mast. then you can easily tie the wire to the thread and pass it through your mast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A few ideas... first, this forum is great. second, check out your local hobie dealer. even spend a couple of bucks - maybe buy a new righting line or something on the inexpensive side. get that relationship started and it will payback a ton in advice and guidance. third, if there is a local hobie fleet, I am sure that there are some guys more than happy to show you the ropes (pun intended)- old sailers like to help new sailers.

if nos or just a used hobie comptip main halyard, it is super easy. simply thread it thru the top of the mast so the shackle and wire are toward the stern. good luck!