Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self Rescue?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I recently purchased a Hobie Pro Angler 14 and have not learned how to do a self rescue as of yet. I am wondering who here has ever had to or learned how to self rescue on a pro angler. The several times I have taken my kayak out I have not felt that I would flip but is an invaluable thing to learn if I ever did. Could someone tell me what the best way to right my boat and what's the best and easiest way to get back in?

Post subject: Re: Self Rescue?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You should put the yak in a pool and practice righting it. If you ever do feel like your going to get wet, dont grab anything and pull it over with you. Just go in by yourself and climb back on from the back. When you get it in the pool or a shallow enough pond that you can touch bottom, practice flipping it back over. I have found if you have a rope or strap attached to one side you can take that strap and throw it over the other side of yak, it will give you something to grab onto if you cant get on top(bottom if its flipped over) and grab something to right it. If this doesnt make any sense sorry lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a pool or access to a pool. I feel that the only place I'd be able to practice would be in RB where I fish launching out of Sandy Hook. But I am a little worried of practicing while I am out there in case I find myself unable to get back in or can't flip it on my own. How deep of water should I practice reboarding in? I feel that it should be deep water so I can hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your feet can't touch the bottom, that is deep enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out the recent re-boarding system thread initiated by Yakiddy-yak on this forum. Good info. Thanks Yakiddy-yak for starting discussion on a great topic. Will be using the information gathered. This forum is GREAT!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:15 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I take my YAK to a small beach... get in the water and try different re-entry methods (Side/rear). Also flip it over and master righting it.

Righting your kayak is key to your self rescue.

To right my PA I have attached a strap to my port handle long enough to go across the kayak around the hull plus 3 feet with a loop at the end. to right my PA I swim my strap under the PA and throw the strap over the hull of the capsized PA, back to the port side. At this point I return to the port side (remember the PA is upside down). Once on the port side I put my foot into the loop at the end of the strap, and climb across the hull of the capsized PA, and grab onto the starboard handle. At this point while stepping down on the loop strap, I pull the starboard handle towards me rolling the PA right side up.

I have not had need to do this in my PA, but I had to do a self rescue in a smaller SOT kayak. Had I not practiced I wouldn't be here to post this...

In the navy I learned a phrase that Saved my life. "Train like you fight and fight like you train" ... Think About it!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would have to agree. Find a beach or lake in the summer, put on a pair of swim trunks and have at it! You may find out that you can get back in from the sides but it's pretty tough....especially if you have fishfinders or anything else mounted to the sides. The easiest way for me to get back in is to go to the rear of the PA and pull/slide my body in.

Another tip.,..practice flipping your PA. You will likely find that it is nearly impossible to flip it back over without a small rope or strap attached to a side because the PA acts like a suction to the water. As mentioned in a couple other posts...use an 8' strap.rope that is tied to the sidearms of your PA. Flip about the rope/strap over the top of your flipped PA. Swim to the side you flipped the rope...wedge your body with knees bent. Grab the rope/strap,. straighten your legs out while pulling your body backwards and the PA should flip over. Practice it a couple times and it's easy. You may want to tie a couple knots in your rope/strap so it's easier to grasp without it sliding through your hands.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would say neck deep. Remember DO NOT practice in water over your head without someone there with you. Make sure to wear your pfd also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

some people tie a rope to one of the handles which they could cross over the bottom and pull in case of capsizing . as far as self rescue the best way I have done is from the stern pull yourself up onto the flat area...pretty easy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regular-size-SO ... _146wt_943

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Sit-on-To ... _218wt_943

Here are two self rescue ladders, one normal size and one large size. I purchase one on eBay and have it on my PA-12. I have not had the need to use it but I am happy about that. I secure the loop on one end to the front right leg of the vantage chair so I can board the yak from the right (starboard) side. I then roll the rope around the bar you step on and store it under my seat while the yak is in use.

The PA is a wide kayak and can be difficult to flip back over if you go turtle. This device also helps with doing that.

Here is a video that this seller made to operate this device: http://youtu.be/uRd1ha2rE0A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my PA 12 to a buddy's pool yesterday. I tried boarding from the rear. It's not a piece of cake but not too difficult either.
I then flipped the boat, it's easier than I thought, to see if I could upright it. Using Salmontim's technique, I flipped it upright. I couldn't do it without the strap tied to the handle.
My suggestion is that even if you do not practice flipping the boat, you need to have such a strap attached to the handle at all times. I bought a $3.97, 1" strap, 15' long from home depot, cut the hook off, and tied a loop per Salmontim. I run it flat along the bottom of the kayak and stuff it into the screw bucket in the back and the lid closes over it fine. It will not interfere with anything you carry. If you ever need it, it will be the best 4 bucks you will ever spend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Bilwburn, thanks for the idea to use a strap. That makes much more sense than a rope. I am going to rig mine with a "Righting Strap" tied to a side handle and a "Step strap" loop tied to the stern handle

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heads-Up to VisiCarbon flag users: Inspired by this thread, I practiced self rescues and righting techniques last week on a quiet inland lake. I use a Yak Attack VisiCarbon flag on the stern of my PA, and wanted to leave it there to practice climbing aboard the rear deck in more real world conditions. Mastered that, and moved on to flips and righting practice using the looped rope trick. I left the flag in place and when I righted her the VisiCarbon flagpole was broken at the base. The water was plenty deep enough to avoid the flag hitting bottom, so I believe that the velcro on the bag/flag opened up enough to act like a parachute and the carbon pole was not up to the consequent drag during the righting process. So just a warning to others to take care of your flagpole when practicing these maneuvers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Salmontim, good idea. But I think if I ever need a step loop to get back in, I will take the upright strap with loop and wrap/tie it around the rear handle to make it the right length for a step loop, leaving it tied to the side handle, rather than deal with 2 straps.