Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommend a sail maker?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone here have any experience with Beachcat Sail Company? I would like a new set of sails for my 16, but am not sure who to go with; any advice would be appreciated.

I'm just a rec sailing, not racing.

Beachcat has some good prices advertised, but I'm of the mindset that you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks.

Sail #44677 (Sails maybe from a newer boat as they are the Keoke design which wasn't available until 1978)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are concerned about getting what you pay for, then you should absolutely, positively, contact a Hobie dealer and order a set of sails made by the Hobie Cat Co. for Hobie Cats. They are the best quality sails available for your boat. They aren't cheap, but definitely the best and most durable. If you don't have a Hobie dealer near you that you feel comfortable with, contact Mariner Sails, the Dallas area Hobie dealer. They'll ship anywhere or have your order drop shipped to you. Their website is http://www.mariner-sails.com/. On another note, if I were buying a new set of sails, I'd consider paying a little extra have Hobie build me a custom set of sails using the colors of my choice from their extensive palette. Coordinate custom sails through your dealer.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD wrote:
If you are concerned about getting what you pay for, then you should absolutely, positively, contact a Hobie dealer and order a set of sails made by the Hobie Cat Co. for Hobie Cats. They are the best quality sails available for your boat. They aren't cheap, but definitely the best and most durable.

MVD is right, but if cost is an issue, you may want to check out this site. http://www.whirlwindsails.com/wordpress/

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another point to consider is that if/when you go to sell your boat, it'll have better resale value with Hobie built sails on it. One of the big reasons is that only Hobie made sails are legal for class racing. A potential buyer with an interest in racing will most likely pass up a boat with aftermarket sails and buy another one that is class legal.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FishSniper's boat is 40 years old. No one buying it will care about class-legal racing.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All very good points. Thanks much.

Are there some standard questions I should ask of the non-Hobie sail makers? I'm not leaning in any particular direction yet, just want to be informed when the time comes to buy the sails.

Sail #44677 (Sails maybe from a newer boat as they are the Keoke design which wasn't available until 1978)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well excuuuuuuuse me. The age of Fishniper's boat wasn't in his original post. How was I supposed to know it was 40 years old.

That aside, come down and join us for Cat Fest on Sept 7 & 8 at Lake Norman. HCA Points Regatta for the H16 class.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whether I'm sailing for fun or racing, I still want to have the good stuff on my boat, and that includes the sails.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boat age was in his other thread.

As for quality, nothing wrong with having that discussion but no one seems to have any information for him. I know for a fact there are well-regarded aftermarket sailmakers for H16, and if I can find the name I'll post it.

The square-top sails from Switzerland look interesting! And there is another square-top maker as well; I think they are here in the US.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fellow that is behind Whirlwind sails used to run Hobie's sail loft. I would think he knows what he's doing. He's making a couple of Trifoiler sails for me now. When that's done, I'm going to have him make a new Tandem Island sail for me.

Be aware he's always about 10 weeks out on work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll update my profile.

I only paid $500 for the boat and trailer last September. It hasn't been in the water since 2005. I've been working on it as a sort of restoration project. Some may say it's crazy to put any money into it, but if I look at it as recreation dollars spent on an annual basis, it's worth it for me.

Thanks for your advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The fellow that is behind Whirlwind sails used to run Hobie's sail loft. I would think he knows what he's doing

+1 for Chip of the Whirlwind, but politically correct answer on this forum is to go with a Hobie dealer. As I understand, Hobie sails are made in the US, so you would be supporting American jobs as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congratulations FishSnaper on improving your boat for more enjoyment. I'm not familiar with Beachcat sails. I looked at their website and can at least recommend 5.53 Dacron. The 4.0 will be too thin and not hold up as well if you sail in heavy wind so keep that in mind no matter who you go with.
One family at our lake just got a set of sails made for him by Whirlwind, 6oz Dacron, neon orange and they are a nice, good looking set! Sails installed and hoisted with no problems, his boat speed and performance were greatly increased and they are having more fun on the water. The set cost him $1200, they also had a good variety of colors to work with for your own custom design.

Sail Care in Ford City PA. also makes some good sails and do repairs

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took a look at the Hobie dealers, and after second thought, I would like to keep it as original as possible. Ordering the sails from Hobie would greatly simplify the purchasing process; just tell 'em what size Hobie and what color pattern I want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you'll be very pleased with your new sails.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28