Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aussie rigged PA14
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day guys,

I joined this forum soon after I ordered my PA14 in mid-May, looking for ideas on pimping the new boat when it arrived. I'd like to thank those of you who shared their work and to show you the things I've done to mine. Many of my mods were inspired by the things I've been reading here - or copied outright, whilst some are my own innovations. I can only hope the ideas shown here spur others on to greater mods.

The theme for my modifications was to keep the fishing area free of clutter while still being utilitarian. I bought this PA to use as a platform for SW fly fishing, so keeping the deck area clear of tangle points was imperative. I don't use flies exclusively though, sometimes choosing to use soft plastics and hardbody lures on conventional tackle too. Versatility in the design was also important for this reason.

So, here they are in no particular order:

Here's a couple of overviews of the PA. I needed to keep the PA free of vertical obstacles that would impede my ability to cast my fly lines, so all five rods I took out on this trip are stored within the horizontal rod tubes built into the PA design. The most prominent features shown in the overviews are the plywood sideboards: these are mounted directly onto the original Hobie boards for added rigidity. Besides, that was much easier than removing the originals and replacing them.

Under the seat is the folding stripping basket I use while fly fishing. It can be used sitting or standing and facing front or rear. It also helps to keep my rod and line ready to cast immediately by placing it on the rear deck when in transit. I'll post a video on the use of that at some other time.

This is my sailing tackle module. I enjoyed sailing my Outfitter to and from my fishing areas, so I was keen to work out a way of sailing the PA14 while still being able to use it for fly fishing once I got there. This module plugs into the locking Scotty flush-mount on the side board. It is easily removed and replaced with a rod holder.

Here is the rear of the seat viewed from the starboard side. I've installed a Scotty mount with a rod holder here for trolling in transit. Also laid out behind the seat are the mast and sail (folded), my SUP paddle and my landing net,

On the port side, there is another holder for trolling in transit and my Shark Shield bound to the handle of the PA14. (My lead weight "anchor" is also sitting in the rear scupper, ready for deployment. For safety, I have a red Cooper anchor stowed elsewhere. The lead weight is just for fishing convenience.)

Another view of the rear deck area.

Many of my modifications have been to the seat itself. Mounting the gear I use often onto the seat saves rummaging around elsewhere, opening hatches or reaching into bags. This view shows the bag I've mounted on the rear of the seat in which I keep my EPIRB and flares. These are things I want to be able to access without opening any hatches. If things are going so wrong that I need my EPIRB or flares, opening a hatch is the last thing I want to be doing. I keep some water and food in there too, plus spare spools and/or reels for my fly rods and maybe a GoPro.

I've taken the bag off here to show the shock cord leash point across the back of the seat. I clip my net, mast and SUP paddle onto this. The shock cord means I can easily access it from the seat if I want to.

Here's the outside of the right hand side of the seat. I keep my tools here, like pliers, nippers and a knife. There are also a couple of leash points.

On the inside of this panel is my leader material that I'm using on the day. (Today, 20lb FC, but it's easy to swap it out, since it's mounted with shock cord.)

On the left hand side, I've mounted a couple of utility pouches (neoprene reel bags) for "stuff". Today it was soft plastics and a GoPro. Leash points have also been added, of course. :)

On the inside of the left panel I've mounted a telescoping gaff hook. It's held in place with a shock cord loop and the hook itself is shielded by a piece of webbing.

Here, I've placed the SUP in the location I normally mount it while stand-up fly fishing. It's secured into the front Scotty locking rod holder and rests on the rear holder for easy access. Also shown in the background is my Humminbird 798 Side Imaging sounder. The transducer for this sounder is mounted in the cavity beneath as shown in the next few images.

What you're seeing here is a 3mm aluminium plate cut to suit the Humminbird transducer, mounted to a piece of 3mm angle aluminium using the original mounting hardware. The blob in front of the transducer is some epoxy resin putty (locally called "Knead-It). It's there to deflect weed from the transducer and to protect it somewhat in the case of accidental grounding.

All these gains did not come without some pain:

This bruise came from reaching inside the hull to mount the rear rod holders. I should have bought a YakAttack blind mounting system … :(

Cheers,
Graeme

Post subject: Re: Aussie rigged PA14
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new PA, and welcome aboard. Great post, Graeme. Every PA is a blank slate, and it's always interesting to see how we trick these out for our own needs. For me, a gaff and shark shield would be a little over the top. Are you using the standard Hobie sail kit for the PA? I thought the mast was too long to fit on the rear deck area.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work Graeme! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your PA and tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim_MI wrote:
... For me, a gaff and shark shield would be a little over the top. Are you using the standard Hobie sail kit for the PA? I thought the mast was too long to fit on the rear deck area.

Thanks Jim. I agree that a Shark Shield would be over the top for most people, but we do have quite a few large sharks in out local waters. There have been five fatal shark attacks near Perth in the last 2 years. One of our local forum members was harassed by smaller one earlier this year but it was only about 3 to 3.5m long and only a mako. At this time of the year, the big white pointers come into the area I fish to chase the very same fish I'm after. These girls are 4.5 to 5m long and easily dwarf the yaks. Personally, I've never seen one and I'm not worried, but it doesn't hurt to have some form of defence on board. (Do a search on great white sharks in Cockburn Sound.)

A gaff hook is easier sometimes …

(This is my son's first snapper. These are the fish I chase most often.)

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry - forgot to answer the question about the sail.

Yes, that's the standard Hobie sail. The mast is two pieces held together with internal shock cord. Folded, it's about 165cm long.

I've also established that the sail can be stowed comfortably inside the front hatch under the tub, so that's where it will be carried from now on.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G,Day Mate

Great set up on the 14, excellent fish caught by the young bloke, I have the 12 and I am thinking of getting the Hobie sail, a couple of questions are how easy is it furl and stow the sail while out on the water and how well does the PA work upwind?
I am in NSW on Lake Macquarie and have sailed most of my life and now I am keen to try the 12 under sail, In six weeks we will be taking off in our Motorhome on an two year trip around Australia , I tow a Suzuki behind the bus with the PA on roof racks, We plan on being in WA around March next year, I will be fishing all likely and suitable spots from Batemans Bay NSW to around Carnarvon WA, I think that is far north I could go before the stingers and crocs make Kayak fishing a unhealthy sport, any advice on Fishing WA appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Chris,

I attach my sail to my mast, rather than to the hull as Hobie would expect us to do. (Hobie has installed a small hook just below the mast receptacle for that purpose; I ignore it.) Attaching the sail to mast allows me to pull the whole assembly out of the receptacle and furl it manually while the mast is horizontal. It takes about 5 seconds to do it, and then I lay the whole assembly beside the seat, extending off the stern.

To install the sail again, I just hold the toe of the sail and lift. The sail unfurls and then flaps (luffs?) a little while I insert the mast, then I’m off once more into the mild blue yonder.

(I did shoot some video of this process over the weekend just gone, but I should have used the GoPro: the little Sony’s field of view was too narrow to be useful.)

It sails upwind a little, but using the mirage drive as a dagger board is inefficient. Too much water slips by it, since it doesn't remain parallel to the long axis of the boat. However, with only a very small amount of pedalling, you can make significant headway into the any wind. The sail really helps a lot in these conditions and is a noticable benefit into the wind.

I’m pretty sure you’ll be safe from the crocs in WA waters as far north as Port Hedland. Wear long pants (eg Columbia) when you’re on the water to protect yourself from the sun and the stingers (irukanji are a real threat from Carnarvon northwards). Make sure you wear solid footwear north of Geraldton to protect yourself from stonefish when launching or landing.

I have fished in Exmouth from the Outfitter and very highly recommend it! Definitely no crocs and HEAPS of quality fish, like this 58cm permit on fly. :)

Let me know when you’re in the Perth area: I’ll take you out for some metro snapper.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Graeme

Thanks for the reply, I did,nt think they would sail to windward well, I was thinking if a way could be found to attach Lee boards to the sides of the PA this would help it sail to windward somewhat, as well it would still allow you to use the mirage drive as intended, from what I have read its probably not a good idea to put a centreboard in throught the mirage drive hole as this puts loads on the moulding that it was not designed for, lee boards have been used over the years mostly on sailing barges in europe, just a thought.

Nice fish there mate! I am not a fly fisher at all, its maybe something I will get into at some stage, I like the wooden inserts you made for the seat, I might copy them but using plastic/nylon instead,
I will have a search for mesh bags that would fit in the space or get a sailmaker to knock some up for me.

Thanks for the tips about WA, A stinger suit was on the shopping list, we will be spending some time in Perth and I would like to join you on the water, not sure when we will get there but it will be in the warm weather.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Chris,

There is a company in the US selling mesh bags for the seat sides: that's where I got the idea from (Tackle Webs). Trouble is, they seem to be very unresponsive to queries from outside the US. Here's the thread that inspired me to make my own "Tackle Boards". If you can get a response, and they have what you want, they look the goods. I couldn't be bothered mucking around with them though, plus I wanted a little more customisation than what I saw there.

I don't think you'd damage the Mirage well if you made a dagger board of the appropriate size and mounted it there. The sail isn't that powerful and the Mirage well is the strongest part of the hull. If the wind is so strong that the dagger board might cause too much force on the hull, you probably don't want the sail up anyway! Eventually, I'll make one up that slots into the well and locks into the drive-securing mechanism. In the meantime, I don't mind a gentle pedal. :)

A "stinger suit" is probably over the top. Just a normal pair of light weight fishing pants (like the Columbia brand ones I'm wearing in that photo of the permit) work fine. Tuck the ends of the legs into your hard-soled booties (that you're wearing for stonefish protection) and you're good to go. Sunburn is the bigger problem, so you need long pants anyway.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

very nice setup you have there!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G,Day Graeme

I think I will get the Hobie sail and give it a go, the handbrake is not to keen on it as I have managed to tip the PA while chasing Barra in FNQ recently, she thinks that I wont be able to handle the PA sailing and will put it in again, we will see, thanks for the tip about the clothes and the shoes, I was not aware of the the stonefish problem, what make of shoe do you recommend? I have no idea as to what would be suitable.

Nice fish that Permit, what are they like to eat, we get them here on the coast but only small ones in size.

The countdown is on we leave here in under six weeks, I hope to have the seat inserts in place with some sort of bag attached by then, I have been following the thread on the american bags, it appears that its all too much trouble trying to get in contact and then get them here, I do have a mate who does a bit of canvas work who can make them for me.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Chris,

I don't remember the make of the shoes I wear - I think it was "Mirage". Basically, it's a hard-soled neoprene boot bought at TackleWorld or BCF. The brand is not as important as the tough sole. It gets a little bit too warm in the tropical sun though, and my feet were cooking in them in Exmouth. (Gets a bit stinky inside, so regular soakings in dilute Pine'O'Clean or Detol are essential.) I use the boots because I can tuck my pants into them when I'm wading and avoid an irikanji up the leg. I have them for use in Perth because it's a little cool right now and they keep me warm and dry when used in conjunction with waterproof overpants.

If you're mainly using the yak and only briefly in the water at launch and landing, Dunlop Volleys are as good as anything. An old pair of runners will work too.

Eat a permit? Not me. I'm told they taste okay, but being a premium sport fish, they are strictly C&R for me. (Like bonefish, GTs, marlin and tarpon - I would not consider killing these fish because they are too valuable as a sport fish.)

If your mate can do canvas seat inserts, there's a market in Australia that's just waiting to be supplied!

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G,day Graeme

Thanks for the tips, I have some old joggers that will fit the bill perfect, As the handbrake wont eat fish I tend to keep one or two for a feed and the rest are let go to make more fish, Iam off to Coffs Harbour in the morning, about 400 k,s north from Newcastle,we are going with two other couples and they all fish, beach fishing is the go, a couple of bream or whiting will do just fine.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks
Gave me some great ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kalgrm wrote:
Many of my modifications have been to the seat itself. [...]
Here's the outside of the right hand side of the seat. I keep my tools here, like pliers, nippers and a knife. There are also a couple of leash points. [...]
On the left hand side, I've mounted a couple of utility pouches (neoprene reel bags) for "stuff".

I really like the panels you've added to the sides of your seat. And this is a modification that's well within my skill set (meaning I can have my dad make them in his wood shop)!