Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear ya Ron... When I caught that Jack... I didn't have my camera.. and sadly.. I just HAD to bring him home to get pictures. He's now in my brother's freezer.. for bait.. :-) That was actually my FIRST gulf coast sleigh ride!! It was FANTASTIC.. what an adrenaline run... I could hardly breathe after I brought him in. I've been around the Atlantic ocean for 15 yrs.. and the Gulf for about 28 yrs so I KNOW what is under that water. Throughout the 90's.. I use to windsurf all the time and would see "fins" sticking out of the water.. and they weren't dolphins. I always prayed that I wouldn't fall in the water right there.. laffs. Also.. a couple of years ago... I was snorkling.. and I was hit very hard in the right shoulder blade.. with the force of it.. it took my breath away... I went underneath it immediately to see what it was.. and there wasn't anything in sight all around me. I'd almost bet my life.. that it was some sort of shark that was following me.. then hit me.. scraped that area good and it burned tremendously which hurt for about two weeks. Dummy me.. I never went to the Doctor. During the day.. it doesn't bother me as much guess because I can see... the only problem at the time.. I'm having.. is.. I have to work.. so I can't go fishing every day.. HAHAH I need to play the lottery... hehehe

Last edited by SheYakFishr on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember, we're pretty close to the top of the food chain, too. I definitely think these primitive animals like sharks can sense fear, so try and project some dangerous vibrations when needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pam,
I was afraid you were going to tell me that, so here's another idea. Have you perused the women's forum on KFS.com? Lots of good folks there, some of whom have husbands who DON'T fish (imagine that!), or are otherwise unattached. Unfortunately, most of them are from Central or South FL, but there are always lots of lurkers, so it might not hurt to post a general invite for anyone from NW FL to see what turns up. Just a thought--I know one has to be a bit careful with this stuff, but you don't have to give out any personal info to get started--just keep it informal via the KFS site. Here's a link to "Yak Fishin' Women" on KFS:

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7051073151

Good luck!
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HAHAH Thanks Dick... I'm a member there also... (dying laffin) Maybe I'll post a note.. seeing if someone lives nearby that would like to do some afternoon fishing.. (that isn't scared of the dark) :wink: Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach... what are those lights on the sides and just below your river light on your sport (in the dark pics)?

Thanks.. Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pam,
I covered this at some length in my earlier post here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4624

This reflective tape is the same stuff that you see on all the big rigs on the Interstate. I later added a couple of small strips just below the River Rock light following bnz's suggestion as well.

Post subject: Reflective tape...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ahhh... I thought it might be reflective tape.. but wasn't sure. I wouldn't think it would stick.. with water splashing on them. I'll have to check it out at Walmart. It sure works good on your yak!!

Thanks!
Pam