Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wonder what PA owners have and like for cart wheels(Looking at plug in carts), just picked up a PA12 and on fence regarding wheels. Got the Wheelz blow up wheels on my 2007 cart for Revo. and only have had to replace 2 wheels (One catching nail where stored). Looking for options on wheels that will cover all types of launch areas (Paved,Gravel,beach, flat, steep). Like the blowup one's but not sure w/ extra weight of PA in the long haul. Plus the differnce from black foam one's to new bigger blow up tires is $60 differnece. Not worried about extra $$ just want to cover all the bases the best I can.

NHG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Hobie's new 230cm plug in cart works great for most all launches. The wheels seem to ber very durable. You will need 2 extra set of CART POST COLLARS to allow the wheels to clear the hull.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Remember the collars are not what the kayak is supposed to rest on when u wheel it around.
The middle portion of the yak's bottom is supposed to rest on the cross-member - that part that is wrapped in that black velcro "sock" with Hobie logo on it. So adjust the collars accordingly. It is in the guide.

I modified my stock Hobie cart (the cheapest variety) with solid stainless steel 1/2" shaft and 30cm wheeleez. Now I can wheel my yak, PA 14', fully rigged (~200lb ?) through loosest of sand, no issues.

The issues you will discover with scupper hole cart:

- you have to flip yak to its side to install the cart and then, after you install the cart into the scupper holes, you need to "right" the yak. During the process of righting, for a brief moment, it can feel awkward as it seems all of the weight of the kayak rests on one just one wheel
- to remove, you can either do the same or lift the rear end high up and shake the cart out of the scupper holes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

The Trax 2-30 has some issues fitting the bottom of the PA 12. The wheels rub the outer hulls if seated on the pad. The collars do not hold the load up... they slip. Adding PVC sleeves works to space the collars high enough, but this causes the cart keeper pin not to work. We need to change some dimensions to work well on the PA 12.

Best cart for the PA 12 is the PA/UNI dolly.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Again, the collars are _not_ there to hold the load. The load is supposed to rest on the cross member - the tube in velcro'd soft sleeve. There wont be enough clamping force in a 10-32 screw to "hug" the uprights with sufficient force.

The sleeves are there to protect the scupper holes. Read The Friendly Manual :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

r11,

Matt indicated that the collars could be used if they were able to hold the load. I reckon Matt might know a thing or two.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:54 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We were told by the factory to triple stack the collars when using the 230 cart with the PA's

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Admin

sunjammers wrote:
We were told by the factory to triple stack the collars when using the 230 cart with the PA's

PVC sleeves makes more sense.

Quote:
The load is supposed to rest on the cross member - the tube in velcro'd soft sleeve.

The load is supposed to be shared by the collars and the pad. The reason for the collars is to REDUCE load on the pad which can dent the hull bottom.

Due to the bottom shape of the PA12... this is not possible to rest the TRAX 2-30 cart on the pad. The wheels rub. The load has to rest 100% on the collars for this boat. The scuppers are the strongest part of the bottom and can support the load vertically.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have a PA with the reinforced scupper holes (black thick inner sleeves) I can personally vouch for how durable and strong that area is. Matt is definitely correct in stating that those scuppers are the strongest part of the bottom.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After talking to other people went w/ the TRAX 2-30 cart seeing it's what I was leaning towards after using the beach tires on REVO and finding them the best all around fit. Where I bought them gave me same tip on collars.

Thanks,NHG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One inch PVC couplings slip right over the carts scupper posts and slip the collars on next.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There was a post on here somewhere that showed a Hobie cart with a 1/4" starboard cradle a guy cut out that the cart uprights fit through and supported the yak quite well. I haven't been able to find it again though, but that looked like a good idea, simple too.

2009 Revo
2012 Outback
2010 Tarpon 100

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here it is: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=41447.0

I made one, it was not working good because the starboard was too stiff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got the TRAX 2-30 cart and had to make some modifications so wheels didn't rub on hull. Did what was recommended here, but also added a pcs. of pool noodle over padded cross bar (Left pad on) and seems to rest well on hull bottom. Will do an actual test launching this weekend, but looks to help.

NHG

mmiller wrote:
sunjammers wrote:

PVC sleeves makes more sense.

Quote:
The load is supposed to rest on the cross member - the tube in velcro'd soft sleeve.

The load is supposed to be shared by the collars and the pad. The reason for the collars is to REDUCE load on the pad which can dent the hull bottom.

Due to the bottom shape of the PA12... this is not possible to rest the TRAX 2-30 cart on the pad. The wheels rub. The load has to rest 100% on the collars for this boat. The scuppers are the strongest part of the bottom and can support the load vertically.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, everyone,

I have the 2-30 and the PA 14, and there os definitely a clearance issue with the wheels contacting the hull. After fiddling for over an hour with the collars, pool noodles, etc, I was still not able to insert the locking pin in the hole and still maintain enough clearance between the wheels and the hull to prevent rubbing.

I recommend a design change to the dolly: lengthen the two pieces of tubing that hold the axle by one inch, effectively moving the wheels downward, away from the bottom of the hull. Thanks!