Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 Stability
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first trip with the PA12 was an adventure. I found sensitive steering and then tipped it while just slightly leaning to one side to pull in a perch. Result was 2 lost poles, all else was strapped down. Too heavy to turn over so I sat on the boat until someone came and helped me right it and drain it.
Anyone else seem to have this concern ?

Post subject: Re: PA 12 Stability
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Inspite of this, the PA still remains the most stable kayak out on the market place. You need to get use to it and realize that it is not a boat. Yes, they will tip.

There are several threads on the forum about how to easily right your PA if it does flip. Highly suggest you review and also practice re-entering the PA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I will check it out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lotsa excitement for first time. Now you know you can rely on it staying afloat - an important peace of mind for many. Many of us stuff them with pool noodles. Adds almost no extra weight, costs very little and makes them even more buoyant. Dollar store has them and they are surely on sale everywhere now that summer is ending.

YouTube has some videos of folks righting their kayaks.

Tie a 6 foot long piece of nice rope to either handle bar. Tie a small section of pool noodle to the other end so she will float. You can use the rope as lever of sorts to help with righting of the boat.

Swim to the side where the rope is attached. Throw it across the hull to the other side, swim there , grab it tight, press your feet against the side and pull. Use warm weather we have left to practice in a safe setting.

Now you know that untethered means expendable :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks , I will do a trial this weekend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Also... keep the seat in the lower position for best stability.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nutty1 wrote:
My first trip with the PA12 was an adventure. I found sensitive steering and then tipped it while just slightly leaning to one side to pull in a perch.

That almost happened to me my first time out as well. When steering hard the kayak leans, and it can be alarming at first (I had zero boat experience). And the first few times I leaned out the side, the natural tipping caught me off guard and I reacted in a way that somehow made it worse. I didn't flip it, but there were some moments when I was certain I was going to.

But by my third outing, I was much more used to how the boat moves and reacts. I've got 50 hours of on-board time now, and I'm very comfortable with it (as long as I'm seated - I haven't gotten the hang of standing yet). I go out on the Illinois River fairly often, and deliberately plow into the waves from boat wakes because it's fun. The kayak handles it splendidly, I've learned to trust its stability.

Sorry your first outing was a bad experience, but stick with it. If a clumsy oaf like me can get the hang of it so quickly, anyone can. Also, you might want to invest in some tethers for your rods and Mirage drive. The tether on the rod is a bit in the way sometimes, but it's nice to know that if I need to drop it for some reason, I won't lose it.