Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hi, I've been waiting 5 years to buy a hobie and I just got a new PA14! I am a minimalist fisherman by nature and I am going to slowly feel my way through the experience before making too many fishing mods. But I am interested in what kind of safety equipment people use. first off, I bought an "extrasport" high back pfd, I have a mini hand held air horn,and I was going to use an old 8' surf rod as a temporary flag pole in one of the rear rod holders with a 24" US flag and I want to try to find a bright yellow or orange flag also. My pa is olive, not very noticeable I guess. but as i equip it i plan to get as much bright stuff as i can.

What else? I guess a first aid kit is obvious. does anyone carry flares? Or are flammables a bad idea? fire extinguisher? I don't plan on any night adventures right away. My maiden voyage is Monday. I'll be sticking to lagoons and lakes til I get comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about a 25' to 35' tow rope, hand bilge pump, safety whistle connected to your life jacket(pfd), safety knife (I use this one http://www.kayakshed.com/stohlquist/squ ... -blunt-tip) notice a safety whistle is on the same page, Leatherman multi-tool or something like it, leash for your mirage drive and paddle and then learn how to reenter your PA-14 in case you fall out or capsize, dry bag for cell phone, fill the water bottle......that's a good start beyond what you mentioned.....then enjoy your new kayak!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are going to be out at night, dawn or dusk, you'll need some sort of lights. Check to see what is required in your state and go above and beyond that. You want maximum visibility when dealing with powerboats. Maybe add some reflective tape somewhere as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I stay on the inter coastal waters and boats are my biggest issue. Got myself a mini air horn tethered to the hand rail. They'll never hear a whistle over the motor noise, radio and assorted other distractions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies and advice. Well today's trip didn't turn out so good. I had a 90 minute drive to my destination. About 40 minutes into the trip (maybe more with traffic) I somehow realized I forgot my PA seat. I'm laughing now but I wasn't then. By the time I got home I was so disappointed with myself I called it a day. I felt extra bad because I had 2 friends with me. Maybe it was one of those omen things; I was going to jump right in fishing, in back bay water. Tomorrow morning I'm just going to a local lake, no power boats, no current, no fishing. I'm just going to practice kayaking and recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tinman,

It takes a humble person to admit they went that far and forgot the seat. I've left the house without the paddle or a few other items. I try to go through a mental checklist of the mandatory required items (i.e. seat, paddle, Mirage drive, PFD, etc.) before I leave. It sounds like you're going out on a perfect location to test. Let us know how it went. I'm sure you will love the PA!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't feel bad - I left the Mirage Drive home one time...it happens :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto on the mirage drive.....I was 10 miles from home when I remember it.... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I taped a checklist to the inside of my trunk for this very reason.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the visicarbon pro flag light anywhere there is a possibility of power boats. I did however make a flag from a hunter orange vest and attached it to it. In my part of the world there are too many things in nature that are about the same shade of red the visi flag is.
I have had the rednecks come within 50' of me at running speed. The PA will take the wakes very well and you will get comfortable with it pretty quick.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I usually have my PA "loaded" with gear as much as possible before pulling out the driveway. Only have three things (Mirage Drive, Polar Bear Cooler and bait bucket/castnet) that I put in the car. Guess I have been fishing from a kayak so long that everything has its place in the rear of the car. It is an easy look to see if anything is missing.

Plus, I keep every thing hung on one wall next to the PA. It is all in one place and makes for a quick look to see what is left on the wall. Guess my "checklist" is to look at what is not being taken rather than what I have already placed in the PA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
I usually have my PA "loaded" with gear as much as possible before pulling out the driveway. Only have three things (Mirage Drive, Polar Bear Cooler and bait bucket/castnet) that I put in the car. Guess I have been fishing from a kayak so long that everything has its place in the rear of the car. It is an easy look to see if anything is missing.

Plus, I keep every thing hung on one wall next to the PA. It is all in one place and makes for a quick look to see what is left on the wall. Guess my "checklist" is to look at what is not being taken rather than what I have already placed in the PA.

I have a similar concept to yours in that all my mandatory gear that I always take out is kept together and in the same area, so I can quickly verify that I have those minimum items loaded.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass