Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, came with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

THANKS, again, Sebring!

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My new boat came with the shroud extenders but missing the white plastic coated leash for mast. It appear that it goes through the downhaul cleat around front of tramp and up to shackle onto mast foot, using holes for mast stepping device. If that is correct would you have any idea of the length of this piece of braided steel cable. Any additional pictures or mounting advise of the strap would be great

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

whered you attach the bottom of the wire on your mast, i see it runs through the cleat, where does it go from there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How hard was it to get the pin out???
When my boat goes over there is still tension on the shroud.
I found it not impossible, but hard to pull the pin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

crobiecat wrote:
Is anybody having experience with the Big righting bag from Murrays ?
From other threads, it seems to work fine, but I am not totally convinced.
My current (small) bag is leaking so much that is is useless. I did seal the stiches, and it is better, but I need a bigger bag for solo, and I'd like one leak free.

That's what I used. Keep it mounted under the front of the tramp stored in a Hobie storage bag. Easy access, easy to use with the shoulder race !!!

David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi could you please inform me of the lengths of the shroud extender cables as well as the mast safety wire.
I am based in the UK and the cost of shipping these over is rather expensive, well i should really say extortionate, but I do have access to a wire rope crimping machine :-)

Thanks,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SebringSixSpeed,

Did you paint you mast and cross bars white or did that year boat come like that?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Came like that from Factory. limited run. "Formula 1" series.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DavidBell47 wrote:
crobiecat wrote:
My current (small) bag is leaking so much that is is useless. I did seal the stiches, and it is better, but I need a bigger bag for solo, and I'd like one leak free.

That's what I used. Keep it mounted under the front of the tramp stored in a Hobie storage bag. Easy access, easy to use with the shoulder race !!!

hy! what do you mean by "shoulder race" - did that come with the righting bag? my muray-righting bag just gets the mast out of the water, then the bag hangs in the water, i would need to make a chin-up to pull the boat, but didnt succeed yet. and the weight of the righting bag rope on the soulder causes pain..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rudi9999 wrote:
DavidBell47 wrote:
crobiecat wrote:

hy! what do you mean by "shoulder race" - did that come with the righting bag? my muray-righting bag just gets the mast out of the water, then the bag hangs in the water, i would need to make a chin-up to pull the boat, but didnt succeed yet. and the weight of the righting bag rope on the soulder causes pain..

Well, the bag alone isn't gonna right the boat all by itself. You will have to get the bag out of the water and away from the boat as far as possible in order for it to work efficiently. The bag I used holds approx 80 lbs of water. That's probably not something you're gonna be able to lift out of the water while holding on to your righting line.

With the boat on it's side in the water, I remove the bag from storage and throw it over the bow of the boat. The bag line should be long enough to submerge the bag with about 2 or 3 feet of extra line. Here is where the shoulder race comes in. All it is is a hollow piece of foam rubber about 1 1/2 to 2 feet long that fits over the bag line. After the bag is filled with water, make sure the shoulder race is on the end closest to the bag. Then gather the access line tieing it into a loop knot as close to the hull as possible. Do all of this before attending to the righting line. Then, after positioning the righting line, raise the shoulder race allowing it to rest on your shoulder as you hold the righting line. As you lower your body adding tension to the righting line, the the shoulder race will allow the bag line to slide over your shoulder. At the bottom of your righting position, when you fully extend your legs, the bag will come up and out of the water giving you the added weight you need to right the boat. Hope ths helps !!!

David

Last edited by DavidBell47 on Mon May 30, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks, that might do the trick. i alredy tried as you described, but without a "shoulder race" and as soon as i lean out and press the bag out of the water the boat lifts, but it just lifts so far that the mast is out of the water (parallel to the water). thats the point where it ends, because the bag touches the water.. i´ll try with a righting pole now, as this bag method seems a little tricky..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rudi9999 wrote:
thanks, that might do the trick. i alredy tried as you described, but without a "shoulder race" and as soon as i lean out and press the bag out of the water the boat lifts, but it just lifts so far that the mast is out of the water (parallel to the water). thats the point where it ends, because the bag touches the water.. i´ll try with a righting pole now, as this bag method seems a little tricky..

Was going to suggest the righting pole as an alterantive. There's a post about a 2 X 4 righting pole that I thought was quite interesting. You may want to check that out !!! Hope everything works out for you. :)

David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got a hold of one of these. Mast safety wire is 37 1/2" from the tip of the thimbles. Shroud Extenders are 14" tip to tip. Should be pretty easy to make and then just order the quick pins. The shroud extenders use a thicker wire than the mast safety wire. I don't have a thickness gauge here but I'd probably say the shroud extenders are about 4mm in thickness. They appear to be the same thickness as the shrouds and the mast safety wire would be one size down, 3mm?

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wanted to add a success story with shroud extenders...

I made a complete set with mast keeper based on the pictures from Hobie and the description above.
Refer to a great diagram here:
https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attach ... 263z52.pdf

I made sure that the mast keeper was pretty tight while letting the mast rotate. I wish I'd made it a tad longer than 37 1/2 though... I may make a new one. The first time I attached it I adjusted the downhaul cleat to ensure the keeper is snug.

So it was a fairly windy day on Mission Bay here in SD with gusts up to 15mph. Flying a hull, had everything under control... until I didn't.

Tried to right without popping the shroud extenders and I wasn't getting anywhere. The boat had weather-vaned round pretty quickly with the mast now pointing into the wind.

So popped the first shroud extender. Thinking back on it I can't have had any slack in the rigging since this one was a little tough to pop. Leaned out... bounced a couple of times and up she came.... and over she went... 180 degrees. Those of you familiar with righting will immediately realize my mistake - I hadn't loosened the main sheet.

So now she's got one extender popped and that extender is now on the wrong hull. At this point I figured I was running out of options - and nobody in sight on the bay to help. So despite worrying I was going to demast I popped the other extender, loosened the mainsheet and popped her back up.

So at this point the mast is leaning to one side (maybe 15 degrees off vertical) since I have *both* extenders popped. The bay is fairly small so I hobbled back to shore sheeted out as much as possible which still making headway.

At this point I was pretty worn out but I had the 16 back upright and I was at the beach. I re-shortened the lee extender, rotated the boat 180 degrees to make the other extender leeside and used the trap line to pull while I popped the quick pin back in. I was one hole up on each side versus where I'd originally rigged but it was enough.

Lived to sail another day! :-)

Oh, and turns out my mast doesn't leak!!