Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone verify the 20" tall high back Skwoosh seats have stiff internal stays inside the back that help hold its upright vertical shape firmly?
Especially when you lean back to relax? I haven't been able to see one in person yet.

I've been using this 20" tall "Gone Fishin" version like this for about a year:
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/254 ... -Seat.html

This seat does not have internal stiff stays.
It's mostly ok, but I usually put a small Thermarest air cushion under the seat, which jacks up everything about 1" or so. Then the topside of the seatback becomes somewhat less supportive. I'm 6ft and just out of the perfect comfort zone because of this.

I do want to add for others that lately I've wrapped the Thermarest with some super grippy rubbery material used to line cabinets with, my wife had some leftover. When I shove this under any aftermarket full seat, this has almost perfectly solved the shifting and sliding around. It works so well I'm going to make a permanent pouch for the Thermarest.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just installed a 20" Skwoosh on my i12S. It does have two vertical battens that are pretty stiff. The seat pad attachment to the back is MUCH wider than the Hobie seat, so the back does not twist as much as the Hobie. I removed the seat pad from my Hobie seat and installed it under the Skwoosh gel pad via the two bolts & some velcro tape. Adds a little more padding & elevation. The back is slightly higher than the Hobie, but there's no middle spline so the top inch or so in the middle back will bend over a little when you lean back.

Unfortunately, I have not been on the water yet with the Skwoosh seat so I can't testify to it's comfort & performance in use.

Also worth noting is the craftsmanship is a little crude. The first one I got had really uneven and bad stitching. Looked like someone made it in their garage. I returned it & the second one was better, but still not on par with my Hobie seat. Don't think it will affect performance or durability, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Gas, appreciate the reply.

I'll get a Big Catch model headed my way from ACK. Three year warranty on Skwoosh site is nice.
I did see elsewhere some were returned due to one having one rod holder instead of two.
Not sure how builder missed something that obvious.

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, their quality control doesn't do the "Made in USA" label any favors, especially for $170. Make sure you check the binding on the seat pad. There was a 1" section that was un-stitched on the first seat I got. That would have just kept getting worse with each pedal stroke.

ACK was great about exchanging.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My Skooooosh seat is holding up so far and comfy enough... used it about 8 times so far and will again in a few hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to report back for closure, that I ordered a Big Catch last week, and immediately did not like it compared to my current Gone Fishin aftermarket seat. I found the BC had less back support than my stiffer GF. I usually put a small Thermarest air cushion on the bottom, and that raises me slightly, and the BC would easily flop over on the top end when I relaxed backward.

Test all done, BC returned to ACK.

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mnormand,
Does the GF seat have the twin post for a hobie or did you modify it.
It looks very comfortable. I put an infatable cushion on top of my seat.
I may purchase that GF seat depending on you response.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I really like the GF seat. It has two embedded rods in the back that are pretty stiff. And the padding is also very stiff. I don't have the tackle boxes attached here. Still use a small thermarest pad on very bottom. Wrapped this with non slip drawer lining material.

Edit...I just realized I didn't answer your question... No it doesn't have the twist seat posts, but lots have added that, saw it this past weekend.

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been using the Skwoosh high back seats for years. I found them to have plenty of back support and rigid battens in the seat back. The side strap and rear straps hold securely and you don't even need the seat pegs. Adjusting the rear straps properly the set will not shift under your butt. I use my well bungee all the time so to not utilize the bungee clip rings for the seat I added two pad eyes close the the bungee ring to attach the seat. I recently got the big catch and am totally thrilled with it. Sorry you did not find it to your liking mnormand.

Revo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

From the front, the GF looks almost identical to the Skwoosh, except for the neon light strip :).

Are the battens really that much stiffer on the GF than the Skwoosh, and/or is the padding that much stiffer?

Just curious since I find the Skwoosh pretty stiff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well like Revo1756 and his skwoosh seat, I've put a lot of hours in the GF seat. Soon as I tried the BC I immediately could tell it was somewhat less substantial than what i was used to. I did A/B tests back and forth on dry ground, and my back felt more wrapped and supported especially at the top with the GF. The thickness of the back padding was much thicker on the GF, but heavier too.

My opinion is they are both very good seats and much better than the Hobie original. I don't think one can go wrong with either.

2009 Native Ultimate 12